[1.2 - 1.4] Real Scale Boosters, 0.16 (2018-03-12)

NecroBones

Just now, VenomousRequiem said:

Suddenly... Delta III!

I learned recently that Delta III only flew 3 times, and it exploded 2 of those times.

And if I remember correctly, the one "success" ended up in a lower than intended orbit. I saw it described as an "interim vehicle". Man, they weren't kidding.

44 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

Surprise! :)

KSP%202016-03-08%2011-56-25-11.jpg

Awesome! A welcome surprise indeed :) Would it be possible to get the actual D3 fairing? The shape of your fairing there is a bit off from what the fairing actually looked like. Delta III was supposed to have two fairing sizes, one standard 4m x 10.5m and one streched 4m x 11.6m.

Edited by fairy

7 minutes ago, fairy said:

Awesome! A welcome surprise indeed :) Would it be possible to get the actual D3 fairing? The shape of your fairing there is a bit off from what the fairing actually looked like. Delta III was supposed to have two fairing sizes, one standard 4m x 10.5m and one streched 4m x 11.6m.

Yeah I'm probably going to rework the shape a bit. The diagrams I've been looking at show only one fairing at 9.3m for the Delta III though. I'm trying to see if I can find more info.

13 minutes ago, fairy said:

5 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

Yeah I'm probably going to rework the shape a bit. The diagrams I've been looking at show only one fairing at 9.3m for the Delta III though. I'm trying to see if I can find more info.

In fact, this is the most detailed image I've been able to find, in terms of individual measurements/proportions:

d3fairing.gif

Yes I believe it flew with a 9.3(ish) meter fairing on the first two flights, then the standard 10.5m on the last flight. The stretched fairing was basically the same as the one flown on Delta IV medium+ (4.2), only 15cm shorter. With Delta III basically being an intermediate test vehicle, it flew a with quite a few components that would later fly on Delta IV. Delta III was initially intended to be a joint venture between Boeing and JAXA. They wanted to use the H-IIA upper stage on the D3, hence why they had to change the shape of the EELTT.

1 hour ago, NecroBones said:

Surprise! :)

It's not actually done yet, and still needs the correct first-stage engine, but I had enough completed to take a good screenshot. I only started on that yesterday. Since the parts could work from existing textures (mostly) and I could rework a lot of bits from the Delta IV, it's a relatively quick addition.

Wow that's awesome!

For the first stage engine, wasn't RS-27 a derivative of the Saturn I H-1?

Edited by MainSailor
grammars

18 minutes ago, fairy said:

Yes I believe it flew with a 9.3(ish) meter fairing on the first two flights, then the standard 10.5m on the last flight. The stretched fairing was basically the same as the one flown on Delta IV medium+ (4.2), only 15cm shorter. With Delta III basically being an intermediate test vehicle, it flew a with quite a few components that would later fly on Delta IV. Delta III was initially intended to be a joint venture between Boeing and JAXA. They wanted to use the H-IIA upper stage on the D3, hence why they had to change the shape of the EELTT.

Huh, yeah I can't find anything on the 10.5m variant, but I can add one pretty easily. Since the diameter is the same, it can also use the Delta IV fairings that are already in the pack too.

17 minutes ago, MainSailor said:

Wow that's awesome!

For the first stage engine, wasn't RS-27 a derivative of the Saturn I H-1?

Yup, and so I have an H-1 on it in the screenshot. :) EDIT: This will get replaced of course when the RS-27 variant is ready.

Edited by NecroBones

So check this out, 10.5m fairing:

KSP%202016-03-08%2014-44-40-95.jpg

Just now, Kartoffelkuchen said:

You do know that there's payload planners guide @NecroBonesright?

Gah, I looked for one. Probably googled wrong. I'll take a look again. :confused:

-----

So here's the stupid thing. I keep finding Delta II and Delta IV guides, and for Delta III I keep finding this synthesizer's manual. Heh. Finding information for a rocket that never really went into regular use is a little harder. :)

I found a copy here though:  http://www.colorado.edu/ASEN/asen4148/Links/LV User Guides/DELTA_III_PPG_2000.pdf

So after looking at the User's Guide, my fairings look pretty good, but the longer version (which is the only one in the guide) should be 10.8, so I stretched it another 0.3. :)

25 minutes ago, Phineas Freak said:

Yummy...Delta III!

Should we expect a Delta II in the future? Tank textures: check, SRMs: check, sustainer engine: check, Delta K: no check.

It's quite possible. Originally I planned to add the Delta II and not the Delta III, because that's what was still in service. But I figure the "almost was in service" version might be more interesting to look into first, and I was able to make the DCSS for it by scaling and moving parts around from the Delta IV DCSS, and the other parts were pretty straightforward. Now that it's there, the D2 doesn't need a lot more in terms of effort level, except that I'd need to start from scratch for the second stage. So it's a strong possibility, I'm just not sure where I want to prioritize it yet.

11 minutes ago, VenomousRequiem said:

Will you do the Saturn I parts too? We've already got RL10s, albeit probably not quite the right kinds, and we've already got the first stage, so we'd just need the second stage tanks, the smaller avionics, and the smaller fairing base. 

I could probably do that. It looks like it flew a bunch of times, so there should be some good data. :) It looks like it used RL10-A3 engines, so I guess that would be another variant to add. Pretty easy if I just tweak a copy of one of the ones I already did. It looks like the S-I stage was slightly different than the S-IB, but appearance-wise that's mainly in the fins, so another set of fins could solve that.

9 minutes ago, NecroBones said:

I could probably do that. It looks like it flew a bunch of times, so there should be some good data. :) It looks like it used RL10-A3 engines, so I guess that would be another variant to add. Pretty easy if I just tweak a copy of one of the ones I already did. It looks like the S-I stage was slightly different than the S-IB, but appearance-wise that's mainly in the fins, so another set of fins could solve that.

saturn_i_line_profiles.gif

Yeah, I suppose you're right. If you look at SA-5 and up, they've got two different kinds of fins, four of each. I'm sure @Felbourn could probably explain it better than me. :P

37 minutes ago, VenomousRequiem said:

I'm sure @Felbourn could probably explain it better than me.

Huh? What? Saturn 1 fins? Ummm yea they were changed part way through the project. The original fins were two sizes and shapes (4 big, 4 small). That was changed in 1965. The later launches had one smaller size and uniform shape. Is that what you wanted? (I did not go back and read all messages that lead up to this so I am not sure what you wanted me to say.)

4 hours ago, Felbourn said:

Huh? What? Saturn 1 fins? Ummm yea they were changed part way through the project. The original fins were two sizes and shapes (4 big, 4 small). That was changed in 1965. The later launches had one smaller size and uniform shape. Is that what you wanted? (I did not go back and read all messages that lead up to this so I am not sure what you wanted me to say.)

Heh... Sorry for throwing you under the bus. Yeah, that's what I wanted. :P

I figured since you were so proud of you SA-5 launch a couple months ago, you'd want to pitch in to Saturn I development. :)

So as an experiment, I threw together some resized fins to see how things look on the S-IB tank (going backward to make a makeshift S-I stage). Man, those fins look really out of proportion. Some of the diagrams I found indicate that the longer fins should stick out a total 8m in radius from the center, plus they're similar in height to that section of the stage, which just makes them look huge. They're bigger than the Saturn V fins. Yikes.

They still don't look right, so I'm having some doubts about the diagrams I found.

KSP%202016-03-09%2014-59-12-47.jpg

Edited by NecroBones

2 minutes ago, Phineas Freak said:

Take it easy and just work on what you like :). It is no good if you are doing it as a second job instead of a hobby!

Heh, for sure. :) I'm avoiding burn-out by just following what seems interesting at any given moment.

I already made the shorter variant of the SRMs for it. So that's a start in any case. Heh. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.