I just want to say how awesome everyone is!

eberkain

I finally got the game a few weeks ago and after binge playing to get through the learning curve I came to ask a couple questions about different mods, here and on the kerbal reddit, everyone has been so nice.  Generally if I ask a newbie question on a forum I get yelled at by ten different people.  You all are just so awesome.  I am loving the game. 

Agreed... the people on this forum are the best!  I was mostly on the steam forum when I started playing, but I started hanging out on this forum instead a few months ago for the same reason.  Some of the steam members... not everyone... but some of the folk on the steam forum are extremely mean and rude, and seem to think swearing and insults are the best way to get someone to respond.  Honestly I couldn't take much more. I still check in now and then, mostly to show off... lol...but that's all.

This forum, on the other hand..... this forum is one of the most well behaved I've even visited.  The moderators do a masterful job of maintaining the peace, and the members in general seem to be the exception to the rule.  I couldn't ask for a better group of people to spend my time with!   :cool:

Edited by Just Jim

Given the thread title, and the general subject of these forums, is anyone else picturing this guy?

SPACESHIP SPACESHIP SPACESHIP!   (ETA: that's pretty much what's going through my mind when I start my computer :D)

12568201194_aaeaa9934d_b.jpg

Everything is awesome! :)

Edited by RizzoTheRat

1 hour ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

The Steam forums...

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

YouTube comments are worse.

I think most people here are grown-ups and settled down. They have no need to boost or be hostile because of hormons and that's why it's peaceful here.

1 hour ago, *Aqua* said:

YouTube comments are worse.

I think most people here are grown-ups and settled down. They have no need to boost or be hostile because of hormons and that's why it's peaceful here.

I can picture this, my kids would never play Kerbal.  My oldest is 15 and was interested when he saw me building a space ship.   Then I started talking about math, explaining that I was setting up a satellite network with synchronized orbits and he killed the conversation and went back to minecraft. 

4 minutes ago, eberkain said:

I can picture this, my kids would never play Kerbal.  My oldest is 15 and was interested when he saw me building a space ship.   Then I started talking about math, explaining that I was setting up a satellite network with synchronized orbits and he killed the conversation and went back to minecraft. 

The realism makes it better for me though, although I just look at my delta V and estimate how much I'll need for a trip to minmus it still feels way better to launch parts of a space station and assemble a space station with realistic-ish physics than just having no atmoshere at all (or any challenges). In my opinion a victory is sweeter if you need to pass a lot of obstacles. 

3 hours ago, eberkain said:

You all are just so awesome.

Yes. Yes, we are !

9 minutes ago, eberkain said:

My oldest is 15 and was interested when he saw me building a space ship.   Then I started talking about math, explaining that I was setting up a satellite network with synchronized orbits and he killed the conversation and went back to minecraft. 

Don't worry, you have done nothing wrong, and your kid is not plain stupid. He's just... a teenager !

11 minutes ago, eberkain said:

Ahhhh... but I was turned onto this game by my future son-in-law, who in only in his early 20's, and seems fascinated by all the math and physics involved. 
Give your son a few more years, he'll come around. 
My guess is right after he finishes school and math isn't a requirement anymore...  :wink:

17 minutes ago, eberkain said:

Dont worry too much, it could have been worse: he could have went back to... Candy crush saga. :confused::sticktongue:

I'd like to add that this is one of the few forums where more causal players (like me, who is not so much a crack with accurate maths but more into trying-and-flying-by-belly) and the pros who really know their stuff get along quite well. There's always something new to learn by just reading these forums and in most cases things are explained in a way that the average dude is able to understand.

Well, I have to agree with you about this forum. Theres no other quite like it. I asked what I felt was a silly, maybe even noobish question last week yet got a simple, adult like answer. Seriously I spend as much time here as I do playing the game!

Also, if your 15 year old built something and achieved orbit for the first time you wouldnt get him off the game, so great it is :)

It's nice to hear, that even though the community has expanded greatly, that this is still how it comes across to new players.  It was something that struck me when I first discovered this awesome collection of folk, and many others have remarked on this too.  

There were concerns in the past (when the family was much smaller) that an influx of so many new players would diminish that, but the community seems to have managed to keep that fairly unique trait of being so welcoming and helpful to new players.  I think, one of the things that we like about new players is we get to vicariously re-experience some of the shear joy that a first Mun landing, first docking etc brings!

4 hours ago, *Aqua* said:

When I read that, I thought, "Hormons"?  Are those creatures you collect by throwing special balls at them?  :P

Kerbal Space Program is the kind of game that requires a lot of up-front investment of learning effort to get joy out of (see also: Dark Souls, Dwarf Fortress).  So questions are to be expected, and if we want to grow new players into gainful community participants, it benefits us to be good mentors.  We all remember that initial struggle to get a handle on it.  

Plus teaching others the ropes is itself part of the fun.  :)

2 hours ago, lodger said:

I'd like to add that this is one of the few forums where more causal players (like me, who is not so much a crack with accurate maths but more into trying-and-flying-by-belly) and the pros who really know their stuff get along quite well. There's always something new to learn by just reading these forums and in most cases things are explained in a way that the average dude is able to understand.

Not sure if 'flying by belly' is an autocorrect snafu or just a phrase I've never heard of but I like it! It also sounds like something I should be really good at. :D

Agreed that the forums here are great.

So here's a game that requires (and rewards) a strong desire to Understand and Figure Things Out, and above all, patience.

Who woulda thought that it would tend to attract a community of helpful, patient people and discourage boorish jerks?  :)

11 hours ago, Just Jim said:

.....This forum, on the other hand..... this forum is one of the most well behaved I've even visited.  The moderators do a masterful job of maintaining the peace, and the members in general seem to be the exception to the rule.  I couldn't ask for a better group of people to spend my time with!   :cool:

Bum-smoocher. 

:D

Just kidding! Yeah, this place isn't bad. :) There's a few durf's around here, but they are very few and far between.

Edited by GDJ

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.