1.1 ksp to 1.05 differences

stuff

Just now, stuff said:

I think I have seen screen shots of 1.1 ksp but what is the major difference.  Is it more performance related or cosmetic? 

Lots! Comms relays, and the need for them, better performance (it cant get worse!), total rewrite of wheel physics now close to a driving sim level of detail, new parts and other goodness.

14 hours ago, stuff said:

I would not ask about release date just curious about the differences between the two versions,

The main difference is changing the underlying engine. Let me give you an analogy:

Imagine you have a house that's gotten a bit old. You go into that house, and tear out everything. All the electrical wiring, the plumbing, the windows, you redo everything. You buy completely new furniture, get a kickass home theater system and a jacuzzi. And finally, after half a year of grueling renovation work, you repaint the entire thing to to boot and put new shingles on the roof. Then somebody comes and notes: "Hmm, okay, I see new paint, but otherwise this house looks the same as before. So the renovation was purely cosmetic, right?"

That's just about what you're asking here :P The major thing about 1.1 is not something you'll ever see in a screenshot. It's all happening "under the hood". Squad's main focus, in fact, is to ensure that you notice as little of that work as possible - that the game makes this major transition smoothly and without feeling any different.

As far as the list of features goes, it's difficult to predict exactly what will come with the final release. The reason being that the engine overhaul is taking maximum priority. As such, most of the new features we will get will be things that are either a.) completely independent from any of that work (i.e. new parts would qualify), or b.) come about automatically through the revamp. For example, since the entire user interface is rebuilt from scratch anyway, making something look different where it makes sense is essentially 'free'.

If you really want to know about the entire scope of the changes, you'll have to crawl through the last 9 months worth of Devnote Tuesday. There is simply too much to mention. Expect the changelog for v1.1 to be longer than the one for v1.0.

But to mention a few things:
- Improved physics performance (lets you have more parts before you start lagging)
- Completely new wheel system that actually works like wheels
- RemoteTech style communication networks (can be disabled in the difficulty settings)
- Many new antenna parts for said system
- Assortment of other parts, like more landing gear sizes and a 10-meter inflatable heatshield
- All tutorials completely redone (and new ones added)
- The KSPedia, a sort-of-ingame-wiki (modders can add their own entries)
- Fancy new orbit splines (and you can probably spot many other UI improvements in that shot)

I would be surprised if that covered even half of the new features, much less any of the under-the-hood stuff.

Edited by Streetwind

15 minutes ago, kurja said:

I don't see why people find 64b to be important, linux version has had 64 and 32 bit executables since way back and I never saw any difference. Is the point that you could use more mods?

Yup with a lot of parts mods and visual mods, I had times where I just get OoM before loading finishes, and even with forcing OpenGL/D3D11, usually within half an hour it'll OoM. With 64b no OoM should completely go away.

And not everyone uses linux - even I have more linux machines than win at home, I still use win machine to game. So we are indeed looking forward to this U5 update.

8 minutes ago, FancyMouse said:

Yup with a lot of parts mods and visual mods, I had times where I just get OoM before loading finishes, and even with forcing OpenGL/D3D11, usually within half an hour it'll OoM. With 64b no OoM should completely go away.

And not everyone uses linux - even I have more linux machines than win at home, I still use win machine to game. So we are indeed looking forward to this U5 update.

Yeah, I tried recently to use the Linux version, but... using a portable install, it crashed when I started adding heavier mods. Not ready to do a full Linux install just for this game.

1 hour ago, Tfin said:

Yeah, I tried recently to use the Linux version, but... using a portable install, it crashed when I started adding heavier mods. Not ready to do a full Linux install just for this game.

Did you apply the patch for the PNG library pointer truncation bug of Unity? Without it the game will crash as soon as it tries to load a PNG texture to virtual memory address above 4 GB. With this patch it should only crash when it hits your machine's physical memory limit. For details check the "Crashing and segmentation faults" section of the Linux Thread.

27 minutes ago, Brofessional said:

64 bit on Windows is the biggest feature really.  

Yea you could use 64-bit on Linux before, but OpenGL cuts the framerate in half and has issues with shadows.

These are driver specific issues, that might not be present with different hard- or software.

5 hours ago, kurja said:

I don't see why people find 64b to be important, linux version has had 64 and 32 bit executables since way back and I never saw any difference. Is the point that you could use more mods?

Two words: Realism Overhaul.

15 minutes ago, Cornholio said:

As people have said, 64bit is probably the most important part of this update.  It finally gives playability to modders.

What do you mean "finally"?  We've had 64 bit KSP for years.

Just now, StarManta said:

Ahhh those connecting lines! The menus won't stack all over each other anymore! The ability to close them! And they look so much nicer!

Well, how they stack in actual gameplay remains to be seen but, yes, I, too, am excited about right-clicking in KSP.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.