Stock SSTO to Duna and more

Gojira1000

• 2 weeks later...

This is pretty awesome.  I'm terrible with SSTO craft and am trying to get better.  I like the idea of a refueling ship too!  A few questions:

1. Did you have a hard time landing each time?  The vertical-falling-to-horizontal seems like a recipe for disaster!  I guess with lower gravity of Mun and Minmus it's not THAT bad.
  2. Are you willing to share the craft file?
  3. Anything you would refine regarding ship design?

Great choice of music... very cool.  If possible, please add more, small captions of what is going on... that helps me logically follow what I'm seeing, especially with EVAs, fuel balancing, orbital adjustments/maneuver nodes, and mining/refueling.

22 hours ago, LiveHereNow said:

This is pretty awesome.  I'm terrible with SSTO craft and am trying to get better.  I like the idea of a refueling ship too!  A few questions:

1. Did you have a hard time landing each time?  The vertical-falling-to-horizontal seems like a recipe for disaster!  I guess with lower gravity of Mun and Minmus it's not THAT bad.
  2. Are you willing to share the craft file?
  3. Anything you would refine regarding ship design?

Great choice of music... very cool.  If possible, please add more, small captions of what is going on... that helps me logically follow what I'm seeing, especially with EVAs, fuel balancing, orbital adjustments/maneuver nodes, and mining/refueling.

1. Nope that's dead easy, much easier than landing on Duna, in fact.

2. It should now be tagged in the YouTube info - or just grab it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nxi3ze8uxbol1xb/Duna%20Express%20-%20Mk2.craft?dl=0

3. My current single-seat version dropped to a smaller ISRU (keeping the big drill- credit to TheReadPanda for a lot of the rework ideas), added an RTG, repositioned solar panels and radiators, added precoolers rather than shock cones and managed to drop a Rockomax tank while remaining capable of hitting everywhere except Moho fairly easily. Moho you have to be careful or you'll wind up out of gas. There's a pic of it at http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/549806679193136922/DD5A68BB4206C862C906835B08E5D6F3EA26678B/ As it runs with a probe core you can jam Bill in it to maximize refuelling efficiency and still have it fly decently. It's a bit tricky on re-entry in an atmosphere. Be gentle until under the sound barrier.

Edited by Gojira1000
typos!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.