KSP on Xbox One at DICE

FullMetalMachinist

http://www.polygon.com/2016/2/18/11040264/watch-kerbal-space-program-on-xbox-one

Apparently @Dr_Turkey really is working in Vegas! Showing off KSP running on Xbone, and I have to say, it looks pretty slick. 

Edit: to the mods, I did a cursory search before positing this to see if it really is news. But if this is a duplicate thread, or not in the right place, feel free to merge, move, or kill it. 

Edited by FullMetalMachinist

Kerbel Space Program has a highly active community and a big modding scene. Some of the top mods are brought into the full game by Squad and will be made available to console players.

Whaaaat? Am I reading that right?

EDIT: Best not to get your hopes up though, this isn't officially from Squad, might be misinformed, etc.

Edited by GluttonyReaper

45 minutes ago, GluttonyReaper said:

Kerbel Space Program has a highly active community and a big modding scene. Some of the top mods are brought into the full game by Squad and will be made available to console players.

If that's true, that would make the console version approximately 50x better, although the UI seems iffy, for starters, I have no idea how the whole "control cursor with analogue stick" thing will work out. (That might be temporary, but the release date is "soon"...)

Hopefully the console version works out; but my gut tells me KSP will still be best played on PCs. KSP uses a lot of keys; I have no idea how many features they'll have to move/streamline/outright-remove to get it to fit on a controller.

Edited by Norpo

2 hours ago, GluttonyReaper said:

1 hour ago, Overland said:

KAS for xbox then?

I'd be careful about getting your hopes up before we hear an official word from Squad.  Personally I'm going to assume that it was supposed to say this:

2 hours ago, GluttonyReaper said:

Some of the top mods have been brought into the full game by Squad and will be made available to console players.

I'm basing this off of the slight grammar error in the original article.  And it makes sense this way; a version of remote tech will be in the game soon, we've been told that the Asteroid Day mod will be (partially) integrated, Porkjet's mod was made stock way back when, and I'm sure there are one or two more that I'm forgetting.  

Edit: remembered one mod example I forgot: ISRU

I can see the PID control algorithm is still quite overzealous when set in node following. You can see the oscillations in the engine nozzle are quite large.

I recommend to review  the control algorithm and probably include some zeroing to avoid such oscillations, that are very bad because it wastes some dV, and also can suck all your electric charge.

Hmm. My main worry is that the type of person who refuses to use a keyboard isn't going to very often be the same person who gets interested in orbital mechanics. I have a gut feeling it will pretty much only be some of the people who already have it on PC, but not much of them, and then a few others, but of the few new people who do buy it they don't play much of it. 

I just feel SQUAD is barking up the wrong tree with this one, but maybe I'm wrong.

12 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Watching this video confirms my fears for the console version...

The physics timer is in the YELLOW with that rocket (KerbalX?) just sitting on the pad! This is not good at all guys..

I'll start out by saying that I have no evidence to the contrary. However, I think it's a bit early to be getting worked up about that. I think that the UI rewrite probably included (for consoles only) removing the green-yellow-red function of the MET clock. 

If you look at the video, that clock stays steady yellow, where currently if the game is struggling to run it flashes between green/yellow or yellow/red. I'm cautiously optimistic that the UI for consoles just did away with the different colors and it's just straight yellow all the time, no matter what. 

Just now, FullMetalMachinist said:

I'll start out by saying that I have no evidence to the contrary. However, I think it's a bit early to be getting worked up about that. I think that the UI rewrite probably included (for consoles only) removing the green-yellow-red function of the MET clock. 

If you look at the video, that clock stays steady yellow, where currently if the game is struggling to run it flashes between green/yellow or yellow/red. I'm cautiously optimistic that the UI for consoles just did away with the different colors and it's just straight yellow all the time, not matter what. 

This is not correct. You didn't watch the whole video did you? The physics timer flashes throughout the video, It is solid yellow on the pad indicating a slowing of the game due to lag. It starts to flash on the ascent into green and yellow and again in orbit. It flashes green and yellow with just a kerbal in orbit. And look at the frame rate during the final launch! It is bad man. That was a 50 part craft at most..

Edited by Majorjim

5 minutes ago, FullMetalMachinist said:

If you look at the video, that clock stays steady yellow, where currently if the game is struggling to run it flashes between green/yellow or yellow/red. I'm cautiously optimistic that the UI for consoles just did away with the different colors and it's just straight yellow all the time, not matter what. 

if you look at the time, he launched the rocket at 1:17 and the timer said 0:37 at 2:17. the game time is slowed

1 minute ago, Majorjim said:

This is not correct. You didn't watch the whole video did you? The physics timer flashes throughout the video, It is solid yellow on the pad indicating a slowing of the game due to lag. It starts to flash on the ascent into green and yellow and again in orbit. It flashes green and yellow with just a kerbal in orbit. And look at the frame rate during the final launch! It is bad man. That was a 50 part craft at most..

lt looks like kerbal x(74 parts)

Just now, Elthy said:

And i wondered what kind of miracle they did to the awfull CPUs in those consoles. Apparently none at all. But people on console are used to bad performance...

No they are not, well, 30FPS mostly. The scary thing here is that a console game cannot have 'lag'. You are always hearing devs say it runs at a constant 30FPS, which is important. Yes there are console games that have moments of lag with explosions and such, but not constant. Anyone trying to build a craft over 50 parts is going to see constant lag, or slowdown. Any console game that has had constant or persistant lag has failed. I've been playing games since the commador 64. I knows the industry well. This is bad news.

12 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

This is not correct. You didn't watch the whole video did you?

I.. I.. No, I didn't. I'll blame it on being sleep deprived yesterday and being slightly color blind. I really thought it was solid yellow the whole time. 

This is indeed not looking good. So much for my optimism. 

Just now, FullMetalMachinist said:

I.. I.. No, I didn't. I'll blame it on being sleep deprived yesterday and being slightly color blind. I really thought it was solid yellow the whole time. 

This is indeed not looking good. So much for my optimism. 

I don't mean to turn this into a rant thread, I am genuinely concerned about this. I can see the forum being flooded by new console players saying why the hell does my game run in slow motion, the entire time? This smells like disaster.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.