Should we start saving up science for next update?

MagicFireCaster

So guys i've been thinking, what if new version comes with new tech tree nodes for the new parts? Would it be necesary to store some science before the update to probably unlock the new parts, or are they going to be placed in any other of the existing tech tree branches? (So we just have to save funds to unlock them) 

Edited by MagicFireCaster

12 minutes ago, MagicFireCaster said:

So guys i've been thinking, what if new version comes with new tech tree nodes for the new parts? Would it be necesary to store some science before the update to probably unlock the new parts, or are they going to be placed in any other of the existing tech tree branches? (So we just have to save funds to unlock them) 

I dont think so, the mayor gamechanger would be the antenna range which is going to be released after 1.1 

30 minutes ago, Scotius said:

Nah. I will start a new career anyway. There is high probability of save breaking, changes to engine will likely force us to re-learn many things etc.

Save breaking? In a game that's post-1.0? Blasphemy!

According to the devnotes the game will update save files to the new format automagically.

[1.1 hype intensifies]

Or start planning rescue missions for those in rovers or landing modules. During the next to last update, I received I had two rovers with kerbals in them on the mun, came back after  a business trip and holy crap they are both sitting on the ground with certain parts laying beside them.

6 hours ago, KerbonautInTraining said:

Save breaking? In a game that's post-1.0? Blasphemy!

According to the devnotes the game will update save files to the new format automagically.

[1.1 hype intensifies]

Sarcasm tag still missing! :)

Some of us have been waiting for a science tree redux for quite some time (getting wheels and science equipment, along with ladders early in tech tree).Would bw fun to have stuff changed.

Or maybe just allow ppl to modify their science tree around without having a degree in programming to make sure everything works.

But you should be OK, last dev notes stated they have a pretty robust save upgrade system.

17 minutes ago, GoSlash27 said:

I'm starting a new career immediately. Not like it's difficult, and I want to learn how the changes affect the game.

Well, not immediately. First I will have to insult every mod maker under the sun for the fact that, despite making mods in their spare time and free of charge, they are lazy dogs because they haven't made their mod 1.1 compatible within 20 microseconds of Squad announcing 1.1

Then I'll start a new career.

12 hours ago, Kerbart said:

Well, not immediately. First I will have to insult every mod maker under the sun for the fact that, despite making mods in their spare time and free of charge, they are lazy dogs because they haven't made their mod 1.1 compatible within 20 microseconds of Squad announcing 1.1

Then I'll start a new career.

Great plan! Though I'd have to skip the half-dozen that manage to update before I go looking.

1 hour ago, Draco T stand-up guy said:

Well, the logical thing for the devs to do there would be to refund all your spent science so that you can redo your science tree and pick the new branches that you want.

Maybe you're right let's hope everything gets done like that if we are going to need new parts that need science

17 hours ago, Kerbart said:

Sarcasm tag still missing! :)

Well, they DO know what's in pre-1.1 saves. All the software has to be able to do is interpret old saves and re-compile them into 1.1 saves. I'm pretty confident it will work as advertised.

Now, if you're using lotsa mods...

1 hour ago, KerbonautInTraining said:

Well, they DO know what's in pre-1.1 saves. All the software has to be able to do is interpret old saves and re-compile them into 1.1 saves. I'm pretty confident it will work as advertised.

*wince*  I think this confidence is...unjustified.  Also, hope for the best (works flawlessly and actually fixes issues in older saves and doubles your tax return), but expect the worst (Felipe lost a hard drive, y'know...could be related heh).

1 minute ago, Renegrade said:

*wince*  I think this confidence is...unjustified.  Also, hope for the best (works flawlessly and actually fixes issues in older saves and doubles your tax return), but expect the worst (Felipe lost a hard drive, y'know...could be related heh).

I think it's justified. They mentioned it in the devnotes as a feature that is going to be in 1.1 with no small amount of certainty. I'm sure they've tested it pretty extensively by now. 

I'd suspect the experimental team is gonna torture test it further when they get their hands on it.

1 hour ago, KerbonautInTraining said:

All joking aside, I have two copies of KSP; my steam copy which is "unmodded" (I think I have chatterer, KER and DPAI in there but that's it). And then my modded 'play' version.

The unmodded version satisfies my "I want to know what's new" curiosity.
The modded one doesn't get updated until I've seen that at least *most* of the mods I use have been updated.

A little bit of patience with that goes a long way!

22 hours ago, Tfin said:

Great plan! Though I'd have to skip the half-dozen that manage to update before I go looking.

Yeah, it is really sad we can only pump out rant posts that fast - being just humans after all!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.