No Man's Sky

Xannari Ferrows

Well I have played this game for about 2 hours now and i must say, it is amazing!

I seem to have bypassed the frame rates issues but running it in windowed fullscreen and i can get pretty stable 60FPS.     (i7-3770 @3.4Ghz , RX 480 4Gb , 8GB RAM )

As for game play, the way you can just travel planets and interact with the space stations is just what I like, I have never played any thing like it. It may become one of my all time favorite games (KSP is still number one of course :D)

As for cons:

The menus are extreemly annoying. You have to hold down click for about a second to select something which may not sound like much but it does get on my nerves.
Also most changes to graphics settings require a restart of the game. When changing from fullscreen to windowed fullscreen i had to restart for some reason.

Also at the start of the game a white screen appears that says 'initialise' with a little e in a circle under it. I thought the game was still loading and so i wasted about 15 mins waiting until i realised I was supposed to hold down the 'e' key to continue. But that might just be me being silly.

I didn't have a lot of hype for buying this game. I only got interested a week or two before release and so my expectations were not as high as some others but I am very satisfied with what I got how ever the price may be a bit too high at £39.99.

I would recommend you buy this game if you like flying between planets and enjoy the scenery of it as well. If you agree that it is priced too high, then you could perhaps wait for a sale or something. 

A little note here: If you reach the min specs but only just, i would not buy the game yet and wait for a patch to fix the performance issues and then buy it.

7 hours ago, W. Kerman said:

Not for macs, :(. I really, really want to play this, but I have had bad times with windows VM games.

I figure NMS will be ported to the Mac in time for our real sun Sol to reach its red giant phase in the aeons ahead.  I agree about virtual machines.

I don't want to build another windows machine (been there done that) and my iMac is 9 years old so it might not play well (if at all) even if I partitioned and put Windows on it.

So if I am convinced to get NMS I'd then buy a PS4.

I have watched a few streams of PS4 and now PC play just to see what I think and if that would change my plans regarding platform of choice.

I own No Man's Sky on PC but have not played it in spite of downloading it at 1:03pm on Friday. I've just not had time. Hopefully I will have a good chunk of time tomorrow. After seeing the poor reviews, I think I'm going to give myself 90 minutes on it before deciding if I'm going to get a refund (You get 2 hours on Steam).

5 hours ago, worir4 said:

The menus are extreemly annoying. You have to hold down click for about a second to select something which may not sound like much but it does get on my nerves.

Wow. So they managed to make an interface that would annoy me on EITHER system, because on BOTH it seems that it was made primarily for the other. That in and of itself is an achievement!

Also most changes to graphics settings require a restart of the game. When changing from fullscreen to windowed fullscreen i had to restart for some reason.

Well KSP requires this as well, at least it did last time I tried it. Also KSP required me to add a switch to the commad-line running of the ksp executable. I'd call this a step up. :)

Also at the start of the game a white screen appears that says 'initialise' with a little e in a circle under it. I thought the game was still loading and so i wasted about 15 mins waiting until i realised I was supposed to hold down the 'e' key to continue. But that might just be me being silly.

No that's them being silly. It makes far more sense if you're on a PS4 and you see a circle with an X in it, because that's how ever game on the console prompts you to continue.

On 8/11/2016 at 8:09 AM, worir4 said:

I am gonna name a planet Kerbin. :cool:

You and about 50,000 other people. lol

On 8/11/2016 at 0:50 PM, Tex_NL said:

I've been reading very mixed reviews. On one hand there are reviews that go absolutely through the roof. People are loving it and are blown away by the uniqueness of each and every world and creature. On the other hand there are a similar number of people who rate it incredibly low. After the first few planets things become repetitive and boring. Planets might look different but what you can/should do is the same everywhere.

So I don't know what to think of NMS yet. I'll have to give it a try myself. Be it a free demo or through other means. :wink: I am NOT spending any cash on it before I try it.

I've been seeing the same in the reviews. The console version is working well with minor issues ... but issues none-the-less. The port to PC apparently is totally borked, Steam reviews showing pretty much nothing but 'thumbs-down'. I just read a review this morning which notes the issues in the PC version, and they are major, a game breaker which, if not fixed and quickly, will hurt Hello Games. Liken it to KSP's release of v1.0, only x 10.

I'm waiting before I shell out any clams on this one. Also, if there's also no other source for it other than Steam, I won't be buying it at all. I refuse to use Steam, I have a long standing beef with them from back in the days of Day of Defeat (pre-Source).

Edited by LordFerret
can't type today

6 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

I'm waiting before I shell out any clams on this one. Also, if there's also no other source for it other than Steam, I won't be buying it at all. I refuse to use Steam, I have a long standing beef with them from back in the days of Day of Defeat (pre-Source).

I tried to give NMS a try. Yes, that sentence is correct. I installed NMS (don't ask :sealed:) and immediately ran into the most common PC bug. Crash to desktop on start-up. It won't even start.
I've seen people talking about a patch but none of them actually provides a link to said patch. I guess I'll have to wait on the inevitable disappointed a little bit longer.

Edited by Tex_NL

16 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

I tried to give NMS a try. Yes, that sentence is correct. I installed NMS (don't ask :sealed:) and immediately ran into the most common PC bug. Crash to desktop on start-up. It won't even start.
I've seen people talking about a patch but none of them actually provides a link to said patch. I guess I'll have to wait on the inevitable disappointed a little bit longer.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3107227/software/warning-no-mans-skys-pc-port-is-broken-and-buggy.html

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/no-mans-sky-dev-working-hard-to-resolve-pc-issues/1100-6442604/

There is no patch yet. They're working on it.

I have intense framerate issues even tho I have 8 GB of RAM and an nvidia 745m. Ksp runs fine on this computer, although maybe issues are because it's an older laptop?  The game itself is amazing though. 

Edited by TwinKerbal

Hmm, I was considering getting this, but after reading that in the technically a multiplayer game is practically impossible to meet another player, even if both actively participate in the attempt, I thing I'll pass.

As I pictured it, the size of the universe was a splendid arena for groups to form and cooperate, without aggressive neighbors, yet ther was always a chance to stumble upon another group. It appears that is not going to happen since the developer was quite clear he doesn't want people to interact. Weird.

4 minutes ago, Shpaget said:

Hmm, I was considering getting this, but after reading that in the technically a multiplayer game is practically impossible to meet another player, even if both actively participate in the attempt, I thing I'll pass.

Its a single-player game, though?

46 minutes ago, TwinKerbal said:

I have intense framerate issues even tho I have 8 GB of RAM and an nvidia 745m. Ksp runs fine on this computer, although maybe issues are because it's an older laptop?  The game itself is amazing though. 

Your GPU is below minimum specs.

7 minutes ago, TwinKerbal said:

Oh. Well it looks ok w/ minimum graphics. I'm getting a new computer soon with 16 gb of ram and an nvidia 965. Is that below specs?

More important question: Will NMS be up to specs?

2 hours ago, klesh said:

Its a single-player game, though?

Just before the game was released, Mr Murray warned player that “No Man’s Sky is not a multiplayer game. Please don’t go in looking for that experience”.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/gaming/no-mans-sky-ps4-multiplayer-latest-easter-eggs-sean-murray-hello-games-sony-a7186906.html

Just now, Slam_Jones said:

Just before the game was released, Mr Murray warned player that “No Man’s Sky is not a multiplayer game. Please don’t go in looking for that experience”.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/gaming/no-mans-sky-ps4-multiplayer-latest-easter-eggs-sean-murray-hello-games-sony-a7186906.html

Shows it pretty clearly marked as single player on the steam page. *shrugs*

I dont know about the consoles.

1 hour ago, klesh said:

Shows it pretty clearly marked as single player on the steam page. *shrugs*

I dont know about the consoles.

All I know is it looks (to me) like they intentionally mislead people about that.   Steam used to have an 'MMO' tag on the game, but have since removed it.   Seems pretty damn shady to me, and I personally am not shelling out any money for this game.  Just not enough there to make it worth my while, and especially not while the tweets from the devs are so vague that people weren't even sure if it's single-player or not.

Lots of hype for a product that isn't really what they promised, as far as I can tell.  But, I can let the people who bought the game say that for me: No Man's Sky on Steam.  Read some of the reviews and see if you notice a theme.

Edited by Slam_Jones

Technically, it's multiplayer, since everybody is in the same universe and planets/stars discovered and named by one player are automatically named the same for every other player who happens to stumble upon that planet later on.

Practically, the universe is so big that it is highly unlikely that two players are going to find themselves in the same spot at the same time, and devs are not making it any easier for two willing friends to find each other. They removed a map that could have been used for that purpose.

If, against all odds, it does happen, the devs claim that the players would see each other and be able to interact.

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/no-mans-sky-multiplayer-controversy-explained-server-issues-crushing-online-features-550145

"This has turned out not to be the case. The lack of multiplayer in No Man’s Sky was demonstrated fairly conclusively shortly after release, when two players managed to appear at the same time on the same planet, yet remain invisible to each other."

Apparently it was "server issues".

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.