1.1 New Feature: Cutaway Interiors!

CalculusWarrior

21 minutes ago, Paul Kingtiger said:

but future updates could add features like full movement in IVA so you can move around the inside of the station and transfer crew between craft.

I'm still wondering what would actually be the point of that.  It doesn't really add anything to the game.

The next logical step is your basically turn KSP into "the Sims " in orbit. Give the kerbals in a space station automated idle animations,  they float around inside,  go between modules on their own, sleep in their beds,  go eat snackw, go do science. Then you add the life support and habitation and you basically got a whole new mini game . Use KIS to provide your kerbals with ways to entertain themselves, like a guitar to play ziggy stardust on.

I'm gonna have a fricken field day with this! I've been learning about IVAs, and I'm gonna start making some for CLS Passable Parts! It's gonna be incredible!

was watching Das' stream when he revealed this, and I was all like :lol:

But I must have missed the part when he said, apparently, "you cant move around inside". If you can't then truly, what is the point of this?

If we get this, with no kerbs moving around inside, and we still dont have transparent windows, again which others  and i have suggested many-a-time and people have supported, the ONLY thing keeping me excited for this update is multicore support.

Edited by fireblade274

As I stated yesterday... would love to know if this means Squad has done away with the different orientations of the IVA layer.
Also, Raster Prop Monitor TransparentPods has given us transparent windows for a while now (for those mods that use it). And there is FreeIVA as mentioned above as well.

i'm really not fan of this new feature for the 1.1 ( but why not later).

i will prefer it only focus on the stricly needed features (wheel and UI) for the migration to U5 to debug it first (and so delay the new heat shield too), wasn't the reason to delay the communication relay?

Edited by Skalou

4 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

As I stated yesterday... would love to know if this means Squad has done away with the different orientations of the IVA layer.
Also, Raster Prop Monitor TransparentPods has given us transparent windows for a while now (for those mods that use it). And there is FreeIVA as mentioned above as well.

The transparent Pods is only for KSP version 0.9 currently

if your in 1.05 and want to go back just to use that mod, you will break alot of your crafts since atmosphere was changed in 1.0 or 1.05; not worth it for me

Edited by fireblade274

6 minutes ago, fireblade274 said:

The transparent Pods is only for KSP version 0.9 currently

Well actually Transparent pods have been around since around 0.23 (Actually I seem to recall it was even earlier than that), when sfr did it first.

then when he disappeared mihara re-did it in Raster Prop Monitor. and it still works in 1.0.5 today (I know because my mods use it and I have been adjusted it and made it more efficient for MOARdV).
And it will be in 1.1.,,, well maybe... if 1.1 has it built in than that will change things.
I'm asking someone from the inside to confirm if in fact 1.1 changes the orientations of the models and IVAs so the IVA layer is now the same as the external layer.

Edited by JPLRepo

This is another area where people are going to differ, and Squad knows this. You dont want to bother with the IVA's and internal views, but for me I like having the option to immerse myself in ascetics of it all. Both viewpoints are fine, but Squad has to try and find a middle ground between this and many other perspectives of game-play.

I think the best thing everyone would want is an increase in performance. But again that is just one facet of many

You should copy

10 minutes ago, JedTech said:

I wish there was a mod that could unload all of these wasteful textures and graphics.

and put it in the add-on request section for best results :)

Edited by fireblade274

4 hours ago, pizzaoverhead said:

Looks like Squad will get their own version of Free IVA finished long before I ever do! :) Some of the parts are already pretty interesting inside, and will be fun to crawl around in:

Full Free IVA development album:

Darn, that's sick! Mb Squad is actually going for Free IVA's? :o

36 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

I hope so too.  I wonder if this would reduce the workload resulting in lag with RPM Transparency so we can have more parts with IVA.

Also, isn't there a bug (feature) in the MK1-2 pod that shows the outside scene back to front?  I'm assuming a reorientation would solve this.

To be fair I'm not so bothered about cutaways, but transparent windows in Stock habitable parts is a desire.  Who doesn't like wondering around your KPBS Minmus base with transparent windows to check out who is where?

Peace.

I honestly fail to see the utility of this "feature." Seems to me to be poorly thought out and implemented. We cannot move our kerbals around EVA style inside a crew module so that fact right there makes this "feature" utterly useless. Just my honest opinion.

1 hour ago, regex said:

I'm still wondering what would actually be the point of that.  It doesn't really add anything to the game.

While agree with you I've come to understand that there are (strange) kspers that actually care about how stuff looks.

They are of course wrong but I'm so smug about my own superiority that I've decided to let them have their game too ;)

3 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

I honestly fail to see the utility of this "feature." Seems to me to be poorly thought out and implemented. We cannot move our kerbals around EVA style inside a crew module so that fact right there makes this "feature" utterly useless. Just my honest opinion.

Have you thought about how this might be the first step in allowing you to move your kerbals around in IVA? Thinking about how KSP has been developed over time?
and, although it may be useless to you, others may actually enjoy it.

50 minutes ago, Skalou said:

i'm really not fan of this new feature for the 1.1 ( but why not later).

i will prefer it only focus on the stricly needed features (wheel and UI) for the migration to U5 to debug it first (and so delay the new heat shield too), wasn't the reason to delay the communication relay?

25 minutes ago, Malah said:

An useless feature which will just adds bug, why adds this and remove the communication/telemetries feature ...

Yep, throwing away communication relay and adding that 'feature' is really a poor choice.

5 minutes ago, Curveball Anders said:

While agree with you I've come to understand that there are (strange) kspers that actually care about how stuff looks.

I'm not talking about the cutaways, I'm wondering what investing development time into having Kerbals moving around in IVA adds to the game.

1 minute ago, regex said:

I'm not talking about the cutaways, I'm wondering what investing development time into having Kerbals moving around in IVA adds to the game.

I think the idea is more stuff like being able to do a complete mission from IVA. Doesn't seems fun to you?

4 minutes ago, regex said:

Immersion.

And I also have a semi-qualified guess that the amount of development time invested isn't staggering.

First off, I'm excited about being able to cutaway on a spacecraft. If nothing else, it allows me to verify that my engineers and scientists are in their appropriate seats.

From this, what immediately occurs to me is being able to right-click a kerbal to order an EVA instead of having the large thing in the bottom right of the screen.

What next comes to me is the modding possibilities - how will this interact with the development of KIS, or the creation of new science instruments? Could science or contracts be completed from IVA? I don't know any of this. But I think it'll look pretty and more possibilities is usually better.

6 minutes ago, Temeter said:

I think the idea is more stuff like being able to do a complete mission from IVA. Doesn't seems fun to you?

Not really.  I've played with RPM before, it's pretty cool but really just fluff to me.  We'd need full MFDs and things like that to make it all work and I don't see that happening in the starved-for-information environment.  Also, quite frankly, transferring Kerbals through a ship via IVA sounds tedious, to say the least.

Just now, Curveball Anders said:

Immersion.

Okay, I guess I just don't care about that.  Sounds like more tedium in an effort to "make more things to do".  vOv

Just now, Curveball Anders said:

And I also have a semi-qualified guess that the amount of development time invested isn't staggering.

Careful there, you have no idea how long it would take Squad.

It's very nice and all, but some other things are more important than this me thinks. Like KER and KAC in stock.

BUT a nice thing to have is actual usage for IVA. Flying around inside of the ship in order to perform experiments and micro manage the ship would be way beyond awesome. Like Rogue System, except maybe simpler. Unless we get something like that the IVAs are kind of useless and unnecessary RAM usage.

It would greatly enhance the game IMO. Just my two cents.

2 hours ago, TeeGee said:

useless features take up development time.

While this is true, it's not necessarily that simple.
For some time now I've also been following the development of Yandere Simulator, and the developer for that has also received complaints that the Easter eggs he adds to the game now and then are wasting time he could be spending on important gameplay features. His response basically boils down to this:
- Easter eggs are relatively easy to program. In a single day of coding, he can either work exclusively on a new mechanic all day and still only finish part of it, or add an Easter egg in just a few minutes. SQUAD is probably in a similar situation - adding IVA cutaways as they appear to be implemented here is easy for an experienced Unity developer, whereas adding life support would be complicated and take forever to implement and debug.
- Easter eggs are fun, and once you lose your enthusiasm for a project you become unproductive really fast. SQUAD employees are humans too, and even though they all love KSP, slogging through hours upon hours of coding backend mechanics for days gets really boring, especially when the software fights you every step of the way. They should be forgiven for taking a short break and throwing in some eye candy to motivate themselves.

I do concur that there are other components the game has been needing for a long time, e.g. the dV readout. I also hope that if they do extend this feature to make clear windows, they keep it as a toggleable option so that we can save precious framerate when flying around the 5000-part uberships a lot of us are going to build.