Music

wissx

What sort of rock are you looking for? Some good, head banging music (the kind a friend's daughter once referred to as 'crunchy')? Epic rock anthems? Some mellow, groovy music?

Back in what day? 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's?

I second these:

2 hours ago, spink00 said:

Queen
Alice Cooper
Elton John
Phil Collins

AC/DC. Led Zeppelin. The Who (Who? no really, that's their name). The Rolling Stones. Rush. Pink Floyd. Trooper. BTO. Metallica. Deep Purple. The Eagles.

There are also many classic One-or-Two-Hit-Wonders out there

Based on your mention of Styx earlier:

Foreigner.

Toto.

But I agree with the others - "good rock bands from back in the day" is very, very broad. My first thoughts (currently) are '70's style funk/R&B/soul: Commodores, Lakeside, Isley Brothers, Parlaiment…

22 hours ago, spink00 said:

Queen
Alice Cooper
Elton John
Phil Collins

20 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

AC/DC. Led Zeppelin. The Who (Who? no really, that's their name). The Rolling Stones. Rush. Pink Floyd. Trooper. BTO. Metallica. Deep Purple. The Eagles.

^^ These people know what's up. :) 

I'd add:

Bruce Springsteen
Bob Seger
Aerosmith (up until Permanent Vacation)
Neil Young
David Bowie
Kansas
Lynyrd Skynyrd

I agree with the others, but I'm going to add some slightly more obscure favorites of my own:

Love
Rory Gallagher
Blue Oyster Cult
Johnny Winter

And someone definitely not obscure, but I'm surprised isn't listed yet.... one of my absolute favorites of all time:

The amazing Frank Zappa....  hehehehe  :sticktongue:

3 hours ago, Findthepin1 said:

Where on earth is the Beatles in this list?! :D

You know, when I was listing their "British Invasion" brethren that they influenced-inspired, I thought of including the Beatles, but for some reason I thought they were too way back there. If you include them you may as well include such icons as Chuck Berry, Elvis Presley, and the Beach Boys. And anyone else on the "Happy Days" soundtrack. 

Also noticeably absent that I can't believe I forgot, are such notables as Van Halen, Bryan Adams, Billy Idol and other 80's contemporaries. Not to mention there's no chick bands listed yet, like Heart, Eurythmics, Pat Benatar....

Much like "the beat," this list goes on and on, and on and on, and on and on, and onandon

edit: And if you want to take a walk on the weird side, there's always Weird Al Yankovic or *shudder* Dread Zeppelin 

Edited by StrandedonEarth

My favorite songs from these bands

AC/DC (Back in Black)

Bee Gees (Stayin' Alive

David Bowie (Starman)

Jimi Hendrix (All along the watchtower)

I also like Queen, but I don't know what my favorite song is :)

Edited by Spaceception

4 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

You know, when I was listing their "British Invasion" brethren that they influenced-inspired, I thought of including the Beatles, but for some reason I thought they were too way back there. If you include them you may as well include such icons as Chuck Berry, Elvis Presley, and the Beach Boys. And anyone else on the "Happy Days" soundtrack. 

Also noticeably absent that I can't believe I forgot, are such notables as Van Halen, Bryan Adams, Billy Idol and other 80's contemporaries. Not to mention there's no chick bands listed yet, like Heart, Eurythmics, Pat Benatar....

Much like "the beat," this list goes on and on, and on and on, and on and on, and onandon

edit: And if you want to take a walk on the weird side, there's always Weird Al Yankovic or *shudder* Dread Zeppelin 

The early Beatles music did have more likeness to Chuck Berry and Elvis, but the later stuff bears more resemblance with later bands, and is altogether more creative and interesting than the older stuff (IMO of course). There's also the Rolling Stones, but I hesitate to mention them given that many of their songs are simply appalling and offensive, but Satisfaction, Paint it Black and Jumping' Jack Flash aren't too bad (IMO again). 

Speaking of Weird Al... 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.