Video Wednesday: Rocket SSTO to Kerbin's moons!

SQUAD

Only to Kerbin's moons? ;)

c0TLAnR.png

That's me, so no video, but @TAL actually did the whole shebang on camera last week... and gave me the inspiration to try!

Rune. Now THAT is impressive.

Edited by Rune

Just now, Rune said:

That's me, so no video, but @TAL actually did the whole shebang on camera last week... and gave me the inspiration to try!

So what is your first stop to refuel Rune? As the next step is just that, refueling.

Edited by Majorjim

55 minutes ago, Rune said:

This is a very interesting way to land this massive ship :) I like to keep mining and ISRU equipment in cargo bays and usually made the spaceplane into a VTOL so I could easily land it without having to do weird turns... This is a really good idea! 

Wait a moment... your plane has the cargo bay open on the side? How does this work? How do you use it? 

Edited by _stilgar_

53 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

So what is your first stop to refuel Rune? As the next step is just that, refueling.

With ~2.5km/s in the tanks upon hitting LKO, that first stop to "just" refuel could very well be Layhte... if you know how to navigate your way there ;)

51 minutes ago, _stilgar_ said:

Wait a moment... your plane has the cargo bay open on the side? How does this work? How do you use it? 

With care, of course:

7djoioN.png

Rune. Doubles as crew access ramp, too.

Just now, Rune said:

With ~2.5km/s in the tanks upon hitting LKO, that first stop to "just" refuel could very well be Layhte...

Cool man. Again though you assumed I was having a dig with the use of 'just'. I put no emphasis on it man..

My point was the trickiest part is the SSTO from Kerbin then landing on a Moon/planet. After that is is 'just' refueling. This is what we saw in the video minus the refueling. It is just as impressive as the video you showed. As they say, once you are in orbit you are half way to anywhere.

Just now, Rune said:

if you know how to navigate your way there ;)

With maneuver nodes dude lol. :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, _stilgar_ said:

cargo bay open on the side? How does this work? How do you use it? 

Easy dude.. turn it on its side. You can change the amount the door open.

Edited by Majorjim

1 minute ago, Majorjim said:

Cool man. Again though you assumed I was having a dig with the use of 'just'. I put no emphasis on it man..

My point was the trickiest part is the SSTO from Kerbin then landing on a Moon/planet. After that is is 'just' refueling. This is what we saw in the video minus the refueling. It is just as impressive as the video you showed. As they say, once you are in orbit you are half way to anywhere.

With maneuver nodes dude lol. :rolleyes:

Then again, to go to Jool like this you have to perform at least gravity assist, maybe an aerobrake, handle much greater plane changes, and hit a very precise launch window... all of those skills that you don't require to navigate around the moons of kerbin. I know, because I have been coaching a lot on the subject this week behind scenes! Believe me, navigating a single stage to Jool is very much not trivial. Just the same way that it ain't trivial to pack ISRU equipment on a ship designed for a ridiculously high mass ratio, BTW, or making it take off horizontally under high gravities... Not to mention the hardest landing in the game, period.

Rune. Just nitpicking, but that was the point of my first thread... all in good fun of course! ;)

9 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Easy dude.. turn it on its side. You can change the amount the door open.

I know how to turn the cargo bay. I was wondering just how he was using it, how the drill was placed and so on. 

18 minutes ago, Rune said:

Rune. Doubles as crew access ramp, too.

Interesting. Although I prefer to also have a docking port/claw in a way so that my ship can 'land' on an asteroid and mine that too. I don't think that's possible with your ship. 

Just now, Rune said:

Then again, to go to Jool like this you have to perform at least gravity assist, maybe an aerobrake, handle much greater plane changes, and hit a very precise launch window... all of those skills that you don't require to navigate around the moons of kerbin. I know, because I have been coaching a lot on the subject this week behind scenes! Believe me, navigating a single stage to Jool is very much not trivial. Just the same way that it ain't trivial to pack ISRU equipment on a ship designed for a ridiculously high mass ratio, BTW, or making it take off horizontally under high gravities... Not to mention the hardest landing in the game, period.

Rune. Just nitpicking, but that was the point of my first thread... all in good fun of course! ;)

Yeah man, I just like challenging people! :sticktongue: And to be honest all those things you described apply to any craft heading to Jool or its moons, not just a single stage craft. it all depends on dv and the landing location. I have been many times myself Including landing on Tylo a few times with a crazy low TWR. Again it is just a case of pre-planning. If you do that it is just a matter of timing.

Just now, Rune said:

I know, because I have been coaching a lot on the subject this week behind scenes!

We all help other people on here Rune. It is why this place is so cool. If it's behind the scenes maybe keep it that way. :wink:

Just now, _stilgar_ said:

I know how to turn the cargo bay. I was wondering just how he was using it, how the drill was placed and so on. 

Oh ok, so he didn't answer your question. I will let him elaborate on what cannot be gleamed from the screenshot.

Edited by Majorjim

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.