where was YOUR first interplanetry land?

Parv Kerman

Gilly. In a rover.

14879558225_a7c7067c4f_o.pngLanded on Gilly by cantab314, on Flickr

And yes, I was actually able to drive around a bit! Well, I say "drive", but it was more a series of jumps grabbing the occasional speed boost when the wheels touched the ground briefly before taking off again.

Then Eve, in the same rover. That was a one-way mission of course.

Ike was the first place beyond Kerbin's SOI that I landed and got back from.

Just started my first ever interplanetary mission, consisting of 6 craft on the way to Eve/Gilly. Hope everything will work as planned,
since my only interplanet experience so far is a failed Moho orbit (i.e. it was only a flyby).

At least I planned for plenty of spare dV and alternate scenarios this time.

GyIzw3J.jpg[

I bet I'm the only one who can honestly say Dres.  

Back then I only played sandbox, and had done Mun and Minmus over and over.  I really liked my Mun lander, and went looking for a place that I could re-use it.  Dres fit the bill, about the same DeltaV requirements, and no atmosphere.  

I built a huge ship with about 8 nuke engines on it.  It had two landers and two huge rovers.  I ended up burning all of the fuel just circularizing around Dres, so I had to build a second mother ship to take more fuel out to Dres.  Once they docked up, I fueled up a lander and rover, and landed them close enough that I could have a Kerbal walk between them.  I was so proud of it, I never brought them home.  

I got the game .21 I spent a lot of time fooling around. Spent most of my time in .23 building stations. And then when 23.5 dropped with the 3.75 parts expansion my first interplanetary mission was to Duna. Since I was playing for a little bit at the time I took advantage of my launching and station building skills and launched a marginally successful trip to Duna with an impressively large ship complete with a two stage lander for decent and ascent. It would have been magnificent. Except.......I forgot to put a ladder on it and Jeb was marooned on the surface all because of the ironic twist of a carefully planned out mission with no ladder.

Duna for me.  Probes initially, then a multi vessel crewed exploration mission to the anomalies.  That was quite an adventure, but returned all crews (apart from the four kerbals that got eaten by the old SOI kraken bug) safely.

I sent a mission to Duna, in Sandbox mode.

Had already crashed landed on the Mün a few times, and was getting pretty good at it.  I also needed a new rover design...
Looking on the web for inspiration, I obviously found this :
mars_rover5501.jpg

So I tried to replicate it... unfortunately I don't have a picture of my replica on Duna.
The best I've got was the test run on the Mün when I met up with my first successful rover:
uVACKiP.png

So yeah, I called her the "Opportunity Spirit" rover.  Pretty original, but hey, it worked.

So I managed to get it on Duna (Without KER/Meckjeb... totally blind at the time, and quite the newb except from previous Mün experiences), but came in too fast and half the lander was destroyed... by some miracle the rover survived undamaged!  so I decoupled the other half of the lander and started roving... Had a lot of fun on Duna, and underneath the battery there is a large ASAS so it was super agile.  It drove something like 400km (reaching safe cruising speeds of 50m/s) before one too many wheels broke off and I was forced to abandon her there, stuck in the sand (why does that sound familiar?).

Duna was my first out-of-Kerbin system landing.  Ironically, I never actually sent manned crew to Duna in that save.   In fact I never sent any kerbals anywhere in that save because 0.24 came before I got to it.
It would actually have to wait until 1.0.2 before I actually sent a fully manned Rover there to do some Biome hunting.

I love Duna tho !
bLeFlF0.jpg
(Picture Credit: Gmiezis @ http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/97873-stranded-on-duna/ )

Edited by Francois424

An awkward hillside on Duna was my first interplanetary landing site. Bill Kerman commanding the self-refuelling Duna SSTO "DAVE" (had Duna Ascent Vehicle in mind but I could help myself when it came to the letter "E"). 

DAVE made a few Duna landings as well as Ike and the Mun. It later returned to LKO with a small Ike lander attached containing a weary crew who needed a lift home. DAVE was supposed to be re-purposed for a Jool visit, but Bill he insisted on landing the ship near KSC which he did in style!

He has since been punished for this crime.

My first 'landing' was on Duna. The 'lander' was a ion probe which areobraked to hard. It was only supposed to do a flyby... That was when I learned about TWR.

Addendum: The first succesful landing was another probe, which had an antenna and solar panels so it was succes allright :). The first manned one a manned Ike mission accompanying the probe, which did succeed and get back home with ~2k deltaV left, may be slightly overbuilt. 

23 hours ago, TimePeriod said:

1080 hours into KSP and I have never landed on any planet.

Sooo... All of your missions ended up burning up? or are they still in orbit? :D

Edited by superstrijder15
Added succeses instead of just fails

Duna with Jeb Bill and Bob. I had to cheat to keep my craft from overheating in the atmosphere though :(. However recently I did it entirely legitimate and caught it on video. Here's a link to the video if you so desire. I would embed it but lets not self promote too much :D

7 hours ago, superstrijder15 said:

My first 'landing' was on Duna. The 'lander' was a ion probe which areobraked to hard. It was only supposed to do a flyby... That was when I learned about TWR.

Sooo... All of your missions ended up burning up? or are they still in orbit? :D

Once I landed on the mun/minmus there's not much left to do other than do it everywhere else.

Cba.

Manned? Duna, of course. I don't do manned interplanetary missions very often though - I prefer probes. Unmanned I've landed on every body that you can land on. Yes, I've done Tylo. Twice. Eve many times, and Gilly almost as often. Two landers on Dres. Several (at least four) on Bop and Pol (my favourite moon). One each on Vall, Laythe and Moho. Even sent several descenders into Jool and had another probe blown up by flying too close to Kerbol.

So yeah. I like probe landers.

If 'interplanetary' includes the bodies in Kerbin's SOI, the very first place I landed was Minmus.   The low gravity and flat surfaces made for an easy time.  If it does not include such bodies, then Duna.  My original Duna lander was a pure rocket design, although ones since then have been hybrid parachute/rockets.  The parachutes absorb most of the delta-v cost of braking, and then the rockets handle the last 18-23m/s just as the craft reaches the ground (those are much easier to build since parachutes no longer snap open instantly to full strength, which typically tore a craft apart in the old days).

I may have visited Eve on an orbital mission prior to landing on Duna though, can't recall anymore.  That was back in the days of spamming science transmissions.

I did a single save back in around .24 or .25 where I visited every world with manned return (save Jool and Kerbol ('the Sun')).   That was quite fun at the time, but now I sorta feel like there's nothing left to explore. :C   GP2!  GP2!  No wait, gas planets are lame, and have already been done (Jool).  Let's have a REAL Pluto-like planet (Eeloo is not like Pluto at all, aside from being cold)!

32 minutes ago, moogoob said:

So yeah. I like probe landers.

They are the bomb.  I've never ever lost nor stranded a kerbal on a probe mission ;)

So I spent a whole week designing a hab that could land on Duna. After a few horrifying and unsuccessful launches I set off to the red planet. The first time, I couldn't even capture the planet, so I retried (didn't know how to f5-f9). Then, I tried to aerobrake (my first time!), but the shell the hab was encased in was extremely long and sharp, and I was too low and fast for parachute deployment (kaboom). I retried. Hours later, I finally landed, but the game crashed and nothing saved. That happened about four or five times, until, finally, I touched down and didn't seem to have a problem... except that I put the solar panels on the wrong way, and they broke upon attempting to rotate through the fuselage of the hab. Retried. Again, hours later, I finally touch-down. I rejoiced, until my computer bluescreened and restarted. Three bluescreens later, I successfully land on Duna. I quickly save and leave, scared to death of another bluescreen or crash.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.