What happened in your first launch?

Q-ver KSP

2 minutes ago, parv kerman said:

well, everything was messed up...because the staging was bad. Everything was in a single stage..I didn't knew anything at that time..!

Well, I watched a building tutorial before that, but i did not watch a tutorial for orbiting.

Started a new career in 1.1 pre-launch and played around a bit. Build a small rocket with parachute, capsule and "Flea" Solid booster. Being used to really long landing time with normal settings for parachutes, I tuned it down to 500m release height.

Apparently 500m are not enough, but luckily my rocket came in in such a flat angle, that the parachute still could reduce the speed to about 20-30 m/s right before impact into water. The Booster exploded and the capsule landed more or less safe in the water. Phew.

I spent a few minutes trying to figure out how to stage.... didn't work. Gave up and came back a few hours later after watching a couple tutorials.

My first rockets always got very close to orbit but no dice, the Pe stubbornly remained underground. Can't remember what finally made it work, I think I used SRB's as a first stage and ignited the core after separating them.

1 hour ago, Zefrik said:

Parachute went off with the engine.

You're not the only one who made that mistake. :) Surprisingly the capsule and Jeb survived the subsequent spinning around out of control and crashing, although the solid rocket booster didn't

2 hours ago, Zefrik said:

23 minutes ago, MrCynical said:

You're not the only one who made that mistake. :) Surprisingly the capsule and Jeb survived the subsequent spinning around out of control and crashing, although the solid rocket booster didn't

^  This

After hitting space bar, the tiny rocket started flailing wildly on the end of a parachute.

Then, frantically getting the engine to throttle down, the rocket floated to the ground.

None the worse for wear.

Annoyed at my oversight of staging,  I promised to write and follow a pre- launch check list

Been three years now, still haven't written that check list. :D

Edited by ScarM

3 hours ago, Zefrik said:

This.

Cripes...I still do it sometimes.

I think I still have the same dumb look on my face when it happens as I did the first time. A large, confident grin at the prospect of launching a meticulously designed rocket which shortly after the space bar is pressed transforms slowly to a creeping, horrifying realization and then... PANIC!!!111!!ONE!111!11!!!11111ELEVENTYONE!11!1!EXCLAMATIONMARK!11!

First attempt at launch - hit space bar. Engine fired. Ship sat on launchpad. That's when I learned the clamps never seem to end up in the proper staging location.

First liftoff - spun wildly out of control and crashed. 

First successful launch - went straight up. Eventually fell nearly straight down and crashed. My first lesson in how not to get to orbit (gravity turns? What's that?) and that chutes are kind of important. 

You all are complaining about having everything on one stage- I thought the stage at the very top was the first stage (Got stages reversed). So parachute goes off, then engine lights and whole rocket explodes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.