Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

And here I said to myself when I got the webcast running.. "Oh, man... something tells me this is going to explode today."

.. sorry everyone. Its my fault. But... damn.

See, I had the same feeling (they were bragging about an engine with more heritage than the RD-180, and then I though that they should be due for an engine failure), right up until launch when everything seemed just peachy. Then it totally took me off guard, took me a second to figure out what was happening... the shower of debris finally convinced me. First thought: The ISS has lost three resupply ships in less than a year. That sounds like trouble....

Rune. And currently all certified launch vehicles for the ISS are suspect...

So it went past max dynamic pressure, was supersonic, and wasn't doing any separations. Purely wild speculation at this point but what would even cause it to fail at such a stage?

Bad welds, most likely. Seal failed, general 'somebody didn't make sure it was properly put together'.

I hope the Dragon capsule aborted and survived.

Probably not though.

Cargo Dragon has no abort system.

Bad welds, most likely. Seal failed, general 'somebody didn't make sure it was properly put together'.

More likely to have been the FTS charges, which are designed to do exactly this.

See, I had the same feeling (they were bragging about an engine with more heritage than the RD-180, and then I though that they should be due for an engine failure), right up until launch when everything seemed just peachy. Then it totally took me off guard, took me a second to figure out what was happening... the shower of debris finally convinced me. First thought: The ISS has lost three resupply ships in less than a year. That sounds like trouble....

Rune. And currently all certified launch vehicles for the ISS are suspect...

i was like "with the hololens and the nasa payload and the landing this would be bad if it failed during launch" we all had bad feelings today about this launch i guess

Cargo Dragon has no abort system.

More likely to have been the FTS charges, which are designed to do exactly this.

If it has been ejected by the explosion (if there was any) in "good" shape, it may have be able to deploy its chutes and land safely though. I don't know if there is a procedure for this kind of event.

Well, there go our hopes of a bright future for space travel. I bet congress will use this as an excuse to gut CCiCap. What an absolute disaster. What an absolute complete disaster. Commiserations Elon.

NASA on facebook:

Something went wrong with the launch. SpaceX is evaluating the status of the mission. Live updates on NASA TV

Could that mean that they were able to continue on stage 2? It was, at least according to the graphics, close to MECO.

Anyways, looks like I should stop watching live coverage of launches: Orbital blew after launching, Progress tumbled down from orbit, few Dragons were postponed due to weather, Orion was postponed once and now this Dragon

It looks like Stage 2 was ignited, since the stuff came out on the top, and the first stage continued burning, right?

We've hopefully got enough data to find out.

The rocket-cam didn't show anything wrong, but whatever it might have been might have been on the other side of the rocket.

So much down the drain for SpaceX.... Reputation... And a Falcon 9. Now the Air Force will wonder if SpaceX is safe enough to carry their "crucial" payloads.... And everybody at ULA is doing a happy dance...

So, how to resupply ISS now... No RKA no OrbSci no SpX

Roscosmos are confident they've found the cause of the previous Progress failure, next flight is planned for 3rd July.