Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

The webcast events are listed on YouTube. Like the Jason-3 launch, there's a hosted version and a technical version.

I have a good feeling about this one. Looking forward to it. :)

Edited by Mitchz95

10 minutes ago, KerbonautInTraining said:

Just noticed the webcasts' thumbnails portray Mars being terraformed...

Yeah, Elon's a big proponent of Earthifying Mars once we have the tech and economy to support it. I certainly hope it becomes possible one day; I like the idea of mankind spreading life through the universe. :) Even if I won't be here to see it.

7 hours ago, Mitchz95 said:

Yeah, Elon's a big proponent of Earthifying Mars once we have the tech and economy to support it. I certainly hope it becomes possible one day; I like the idea of mankind spreading life through the universe. :) Even if I won't be here to see it.

Inevitably sounds a lot like billions of virions escaping a lysing cell towards a new host to infect and exploit it

Depends if those virions are exploiting existing ecosystems or barren rocks. Especially if the 'exploitation' produces an environment which favours or re-awakens any native lifeforms and then treats those lifeforms with appropriate care and respect.

10 minutes ago, Hcube said:

Inevitably sounds a lot like billions of virions escaping a lysing cell towards a new host to infect and exploit it

Your optimism is inspiring. ;)

But seriously, who gets hurt if we spread life to a dead rock? It might be different if there's present-day life there already, but I'm fairly sure that's not the case. And even if it is, the solar system only has a couple billion years of life left anyway. Any native life forms wouldn't have a chance to evolve into sentient beings before the Sun turns into a red giant. Terraforming Mars would benefit mankind and harm no one.

But that's a topic for another thread, of which I'm sure there are several already. :)

Edited by Mitchz95

9 hours ago, Mitchz95 said:

We might begin Terraforming by the end of the century, granted, it'd take well over 100-1000 years, but we'd likely start before 2100 to make things easier for the colonists.

On their facebook SpaceX wrote that they delayed the launch to ensure that LOX is as cold as possible

The Falcon 9 remains healthy in advance of SpaceX and SES’s mission to deliver the SES-9 satellite to Geostationary Transfer Orbit. Out of an abundance of caution, the team opted to hold launch for today to ensure liquid oxygen temperatures are as cold as possible in an effort to maximize performance of the vehicle.

5 hours ago, sgt_flyer said:

guess that they still need to refine and fix the teething issues on their subcooling systems. deep cryo really seems to add layers of complexity at the moment.

Yeah, I don't think it really was worth the difficulty.

12 minutes ago, fredinno said:
5 hours ago, sgt_flyer said:

guess that they still need to refine and fix the teething issues on their subcooling systems. deep cryo really seems to add layers of complexity at the moment.

Yeah, I don't think it really was worth the difficulty.

Maximizing performance of the first stage means maximizing the payload while still retaining enough reserve to recover to the landing site.   Short term PITA, longer term probably at least a medium win.

6 minutes ago, DerekL1963 said:

Maximizing performance of the first stage means maximizing the payload while still retaining enough reserve to recover to the landing site.   Short term PITA, longer term probably at least a medium win.

This. Wasn't it like a 10 or 15% gain in performance from the super chill alone? That's pretty significant for a rocket. It's a brand new technology, just like their landings. There's going to be a learning curve. Decembers launch and landing demonstrated that it does work.