Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

3 hours ago, Nibb31 said:
  • Government subsidies: Since its inception, SpaceX has relied on government contracts. The Merlin engine is based on a NASA reference design. Falcon 1 was funded by the DoD. Falcon 9 developmend was co-funded by NASA and private funds. Dragon was funded by NASA.

As said above by @Streetwind, these are not subsidies.  The DoD payed SpaceX for the product which was Falcon 1.  NASA helped fund F9 and Dragon with the expected return of a new launcher and ISS resupply.  

41 minutes ago, FishInferno said:

As said above by @Streetwind, these are not subsidies.  The DoD payed SpaceX for the product which was Falcon 1.  NASA helped fund F9 and Dragon with the expected return of a new launcher and ISS resupply.  

When a government subsidizes the private sector, it doesn't mean that they don't expect a return on investment. The money that the DoD poured into Falcon 1 development far exceeded the utilisation that was made of the Falcon 1 afterwards. The same is true for Falcon 9 and Dragon, where NASA paid for the development as part of the COTS program, but SpaceX is free to sell both products on the private market. One could argue that the commercial use of those products is subsidized in the same way that Ariane development is paid for by ESA member states but launches are sold as a commercial service.

The main purpose of many US Government cost-plus contracts, particularly DoD and NASA, is to provide jobs to the military/aerospace industry, regardless of the actual value of the product or service to the nation. The point of that is to maintain jobs, boost technology, and maintain capability, more than to actually pay the fair price for a given service. It can be argued that any government contract represents a form of subsidy.

However you call it, it isn't very important. My point was that all spaceflight is government-sponsored, whether it's subsidized or purchased at a fair price, and that there would be no orbital space industry without that government sponsorship.

Edited by Nibb31

34 minutes ago, FishInferno said:

The DoD payed SpaceX for the product which was Falcon 1. 

Kind of Sort of... it is one of those blurry lines type things to the general public.  They did both they subsidzed the development in the hopes of getting a small sat launcher that is inexpensive.  But as the product did not work (except on the last flight) and they were not required (AFAIK) to pay back the DoD or pay a penalty (once again AFAIK) it is more of a subsidy than a full on contract with penalty clauses like you would get if you want them to launch a commercial sat 

1 hour ago, Nibb31 said:

One could argue that the commercial use of those products is subsidized in the same way that Ariane development is paid for by ESA member states but launches are sold as a commercial service.

One could, perhaps, if one knew nothing about how Arianespace operates... In other words: no. Ariane 5 is an actively subsidized launcher. ESA pays Arianespace a healthy sum - about €100 million every year, last I heard - for no other purpose than making the Ariane 5 cheap enough to be able to compete on the commercial market, so that the company can stay alive and provide assured access to space for Europe. Comparing that to NASA buying a couple Falcon 9's doesn't work no matter which way you try to turn it.

Also, Arianespace is literally in part government-owned. The French government holds a 35% stake, the largest of all the various shareholders.

That right there is how government subsidies of commercial aerospace companies work. And it is in no way, shape or form comparable to anything that SpaceX does.

Edited by Streetwind
Typos

On 11/23/2014, 4:31:36, PakledHostage said:

I can't think of a way to "reduce the apparent wave height" without pumping water ballast back and forth in floating pontoons to increase/decrease their buoyancy as the waves pass.

Vertical thrusters on all four sides of the barge? If the barge starts listing to port side, the port thrusters would push up and the starboard thrusters would push down. Same with the thrusters mounted fore and aft to reduce pitching.

That seems more likely to me than pumping ballast around, which is inherently slow.

2 hours ago, Kerbart said:

Vertical thrusters on all four sides of the barge? If the barge starts listing to port side, the port thrusters would push up and the starboard thrusters would push down. Same with the thrusters mounted fore and aft to reduce pitching.

But because you are now pushing one side up and the other side down you run the risk of not being in a good position when the next wave comes swamping the deck.  

On 12/4/2015, 3:43:18, Streetwind said:

Something I found neat: http://imgur.com/rOY556X

On the inner most dark circle is concrete on that image... the area between the inner black circle and the outer circle is compressed dirt it seems.  So it is really not all that much bigger.

In other news SpaceX got permission from the USAF to land back on land, hoping FAA will approve too, launch was pushed back to the 19th

1 hour ago, B787_300 said:

On the inner most dark circle is concrete on that image... the area between the inner black circle and the outer circle is compressed dirt it seems.  So it is really not all that much bigger

Still, there's a big difference between compressed dirt and compressed waves... :sticktongue: I'd imagine they would be quite happy to land on one, if they had the choice!

On 6.12.2015, 01.38.45, softweir said:

Still, there's a big difference between compressed dirt and compressed waves... :sticktongue: I'd imagine they would be quite happy to land on one, if they had the choice!

Yes, the concrete main benefit is that you will not get dirt kicked up from the engine flame. The landing legs don't care. 

Aiming for Falcon rocket static fire at Cape Canaveral on the 16th and launch about three days later

We might have a launch in 9 days. :)

Edit:

More news from NASASpaceflight:

Window is 20:25 to 23:25 local time for the 19th.

Edited by Albert VDS

5 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

I saw that too, and scratched my head. All statements that SpaceX has given so far on the topic of selling its engines were "firmly not interested". Did that change?

Given that ULA's Atlas RD-180's come from Russia, I think he meant more business going SpaceX due to a lack of Atlas V's. 

Hmmm... looks like I mixed up the articles here? When I read this yesterday, I also read an article somewhere that claimed that the government was in talks with multiple alternative providers, including SpaceX. I thought it was this article, but it isn't. Welp. :blush: Disregard anything I said then!

I suggest you continue this discussion by MP or start a new thread. After all, this thread is about spaceX. It's starting to be very confusing if you guys deviate this much from the subject.

On topic : When is spaceX supposed to make an announcement about it ? 

3 minutes ago, Hcube said:

I suggest you continue this discussion by MP or start a new thread. After all, this thread is about spaceX. It's starting to be very confusing if you guys deviate this much from the subject.

On topic : When is spaceX supposed to make an announcement about it ? 

Early 2016 is the new date. It got delayed due to the CRS-7 failure.