Blue Origin Thread (merged)

Aethon

4 hours ago, Motokid600 said:

What do you mean?

Chilled LOX is really bad for metal tubing, the tubes contract, deform and may even break, i'm guessing the process is slower to prevent this from happening

EDIT : just saw an Elon Musk's post on twitter "5mins from static fire test"

That was posted 45mins ago. No news ?

EDIT 2 : nevermind, aborted and delayed for a while

Edited by Hcube

1 minute ago, Hcube said:

I feel like this is an inhabitual (and maybe excessive) hype for a static fire test, even for a RTF.

They're not really excited about the test. It's just a proxy, something to talk about while waiting for the main event. :P

So we should be able to see it go up on Sunday, that's good.

I'm just wondering weather or not we'll get to see it come back down. An article from earlier today said SpaceX is still silent about permission to land.

(Also, here's a little mini-game that "simulates" landing the F9 booster. It's so infuriatingly hard but somehow fun. I have yet to succeed)

1 hour ago, KerbonautInTraining said:

So we should be able to see it go up on Sunday, that's good.

I'm just wondering weather or not we'll get to see it come back down. An article from earlier today said SpaceX is still silent about permission to land.

(Also, here's a little mini-game that "simulates" landing the F9 booster. It's so infuriatingly hard but somehow fun. I have yet to succeed)

I landed it 3 times!

Twice in a row, then a third time after a lot more work

Edit: made it 3 more times, individually.

Edited by Rakaydos

Oh man, the autopilot makes you feel like a caveman banging the keys with a club. I have landed 2 out of 101, autopilot landed 6 of 7. If the machines ever take over the planet, I'm just gonna pat them on the back. They've earned it. Good find on that game, that is fun!

NASA has no part in this, the landing is at Cape Canaveral Air Force Base. There aren't any operational pads or other facilities at the cape anywhere near the landing pad, so the accuracy spx demonstrated during the barge attempts was enough.

Yes, USAF as owner of the base and FAA as regulator of commercial spaceflight. FAA needs to issue licenses for launch or landing (Try saying that three times, fast).

Edited by Kryten

6 minutes ago, Mitchz95 said:

Hitting the target has never really been the problem. It's hitting the target softly enough to stay upright and not explode. :P

Exactly, they've demonstrated that they can put the booster down at a specific location so there should not be much concern about it crashing into the VAB or something.  Lets hope that the vehicle does not RUD on arrival this time!