[ASC-III] Air Superiority Challenge - King of the Hill (BDArmory 4v4 AI Duels: WW1 Theme) - Now Concluded!

3 hours ago, colmo said:

I'd be interested to see how winning designs would do in a head to head!

Several craft here could be submitted to TG, if the turrets were replaced with Vulcans. I think the fight would probably end in a gunfight, with the turreted planes winning.

51 minutes ago, NotAnAimbot said:

Several craft here could be submitted to TG, if the turrets were replaced with Vulcans. I think the fight would probably end in a gunfight, with the turreted planes winning.

I think you're right. TGAI has more stringent rules, so they could compete in this tourney without alteration. There's a few exploitative designs from TGAI's history which brought these rule restrictions, which would give this challenge a serious run for its money.

I've had a look at some of the designs here, and they often look rather heavy and over-gunned. I have an air superiority fighter in the works for TGAI (see my avatar!) which I think would put up a serious challenge here, but for the turrets.

Edited by colmo

12 hours ago, g00bd0g said:

If you can't install the required mods to test, you can't expect to be competitive. Plus, I guarantee you there is no measurable performance difference with these mods installed.

KSP: ASC King of the Hill jrodriguez vs The_Mad_Emu 

Wow, a great match, and this did not go the way I expected. JollyGreenGI shows you don't need massive firepower to win. They get a draw in the 1st match. JollyGreenGI takes the 2nd round and jrodriguez took the 3rd. This results in a draw 1-1-1.

Due to a brain-fart I didn't run the Tie-Breaking round, in the 1st video. Here it is!

Another great battle! JollyGreenGiant must have some special sauce in those planes as he takes the win!

It was a very intense fight!

22 minutes ago, NotAnAimbot said:

You should look at the F-2 if you want, @colmo. Apart from clipped engines, it's only 1 ton lighter than the MiG-29 it's based on when empty (around 14-15 tons), and 17 tons fully loaded with missiles and turrets.

My current premier design (see avatar) weighs in at under 10 tonnes, I think that's fully loaded, twin Panther engines (I'm waiting on 1.1, want to look at toggling gimbal per axis), and can fly for half an hour, mixing modes. No clipping, no turrets. I'm also working on a single-engine design that I want to get in under the 6 tonne mark. I'm waiting on 1.1 (I have the prerelease but there's a few mods we're in need of) to drop for the massive performance benefits and because I'm snowed under atm - I only have time to visit here when I'm taking a break!

Edited by colmo

9 minutes ago, Draconiator said:

I'm going to record my new fighter the Stiletto against the reigning champ Matador Red 2v2 to see how it does.  Video up shortly.

Don't forget its partner, the Matador Blue!

Edited by Dman979

53 minutes ago, colmo said:

My current premier design (see avatar) weighs in at under 10 tonnes

I'm trying to go for more realistic designs for now, so most of my planes are over 10 tons. I just don't think small fighters are enough for missile fighting.

56 minutes ago, colmo said:

My current premier design (see avatar) weighs in at under 10 tonnes, I think that's fully loaded, twin Panther engines (I'm waiting on 1.1, want to look at toggling gimbal per axis), and can fly for half an hour, mixing modes. No clipping, no turrets. I'm also working on a single-engine design that I want to get in under the 6 tonne mark. I'm waiting on 1.1 (I have the prerelease but there's a few mods we're in need of) to drop for the massive performance benefits and because I'm snowed under atm - I only have time to visit here when I'm taking a break!

I have 1.1 working with all the mods needed for this challenge :) 

2 hours ago, Draconiator said:

And I have a new craft in the works.  fe9020ae443a4ee3bc758cf931839284.png

what's the goal here?

Is it supposed to be so that it's a small target so it would easily evade missile and gunfire?

Is the laser supposed to take targets down at close range?

Is the fuel really supposed to last any amount of time in a battle?

Just now, Spearka said:

what's the goal here?

Is it supposed to be so that it's a small target so it would easily evade missile and gunfire?

Is the laser supposed to take targets down at close range?

Is the fuel really supposed to last any amount of time in a battle?

first here's the final version - I call it the Bearshark.

38a891de62df2d7e208188dc843c1649.png

It's supposed to be a small target with extreme maneuverability.  I have to test it now.

On the one hand I want to encourage participation, on the other I think maybe all entries should at least be tested by the contestant and able to beat Stealth Weasel before the are allowed entry. Otherwise it's basically wasting the hosts time for a "look at my plane" sort of entry. Personally I don't want be personally performing all the testing the contestants should be doing on their own, if they are serious.

I really like inigma's new "self hosted" match format, I was thinking about doing the same but didn't want to undermine this one. I will continue to run matches though this evening, largely so I can get to my own entry :) But after that, you folks are gonna have to figure how to manage the entry and hosting process to make it more efficient.

Edited by g00bd0g

@g00bd0g Doesn't it say in the OP to:

On 4/4/2016 at 3:54 AM, inigma said:

Test your design against the current King of the Hill, then

Submit your entry to the ASC KerbalX.com Hangar and post a link in this thread to enter!

Hmm. I think beating Stealth Weasel is a good start, because if the King at the time is a flying laser show made of hate, that's not gonna give much feedback.

1 minute ago, JollyGreenGI said:

@g00bd0g Doesn't it say in the OP to:

Hmm. I think beating Stealth Weasel is a good start, because if the King at the time is a flying laser show made of hate, that's not gonna give much feedback.

So it does :) So additionally I guess we should require the entrant to state "I have read and understand the rules. I have tested my entry against the current King of the Hill and expect to be competitive". Any entry lacking that quote (can copy paste from OP) will not be run. If an entrant cannot be bothered to read/follow the rules and do testing of their own craft, why should the hosts waste their time running these matches?

Bearcat vs. Matador - current champion.  I think I have a contender here.  This is round 1:

Round 2 saw the Matador take out both of my Bearsharks,  Running Round 3 now.  Same outcome.  I was suprised at the first round though.

Edited by Draconiator

In an effort to prevent host burnout, from this moment forward, all entries must state they have been tested against the current king of the hill or any previous king in the current series. Entries not stating such will be denied.  

All existing entries before this post are excepted.

If you wish to withdraw your entry, please state so! 

The effort to unseat a king is getting tougher. Hopefully this will also make watching the series more entertaining as the difficulty rises. :)

If you wish to duel someone outside of the ASC King of the Hill division in an open challenge and post your own battle results, please look at the Air Superiority Challenge: The Crucible division thread.

Edited by inigma

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.