[ASC-III] Air Superiority Challenge - King of the Hill (BDArmory 4v4 AI Duels: WW1 Theme) - Now Concluded!

23 hours ago, GDJ said:

Okay, so there's the fix for the AA's antenna's (which I did download and added), but we aren't allowed to use them as AI and Weapons Manager?

You are allowed to use the AI antenna from Aviator Arsenal

Edited by DoctorDavinci

So I noticed that people are posting mostly 1v1 test results. These tend to not reflect 4v4 behavior very well from what I have seen. In 1v1 the bullet jousting at the beginning is basically a contest of who can hit first. However, in 4v4 the bullet joust is more focused on forcing the enemy to go into evasive maneuvers. Also, at the 4v4 level you have to worry about taking fire from multiple sources and wounded planes drawing unnecessary fire.

I need to start working on another plane if when the Volante gets torn to pieces.

4 hours ago, TorchedForever said:

So I noticed that people are posting mostly 1v1 test results. These tend to not reflect 4v4 behavior very well from what I have seen. In 1v1 the bullet jousting at the beginning is basically a contest of who can hit first. However, in 4v4 the bullet joust is more focused on forcing the enemy to go into evasive maneuvers. Also, at the 4v4 level you have to worry about taking fire from multiple sources and wounded planes drawing unnecessary fire.

I need to start working on another plane if when the Volante gets torn to pieces.

Very astute observation .. and welcome to the forums

4 hours ago, TorchedForever said:

That's what I noticed, hence why I don't post 4v4 results, I don't need anyone thinking that they can beat my craft still. The match results will remain undisclosed, but I will say there was a 50/50 chance of survival for a reason I will not disclose, that reflected in the matches, if the enemy could exploit the issue, that is.

13 hours ago, Samtc said:

Cheers, I think i'm getting there, my plane just punched the super bee out the sky!

Pics? No pics, no kudos.

:wink:

Edited by GDJ

2 minutes ago, epicman81 said:

I feel like I should tell you that the MK23 was not meant to compete but meant to observe the competition and I will post my real fighter soon.

July is coming soon, better get those entries ready before they're obsolete.

I would like to present to you the plane to beat all other planes: The Mark 24 Starfish https://kerbalx.com/epicman352/mark-24-starfish 

this beast has 3 engines and is supermanuevarable and carries 2 7mm rapid fire machine guns and takes off on its own without any worry.

Just now, epicman81 said:

I would like to present to you the plane to beat all other planes: The Mark 24 Starfish https://kerbalx.com/epicman352/mark-24-starfish 

this beast has 3 engines and is supermanuevarable and carries 2 7mm rapid fire machine guns and takes off on its own without any worry.

This is my real submission

@inigma

It can beat the current king and I bet it can beat even the superbee.

Here is my submission, I put it up against the Crown, and it won more times than it lost in testing.  They seem equal as well, mine has redundant wings though, just in case.  This thing is ready.

https://kerbalx.com/Draconiator/Kerbwith-Alpaca

Curiously, the Crown flies a LOT better as a lower-wing monoplane...if it is lucky enough to have ONLY the top wing shot off, it will win a 1v1.  heh

11 hours ago, GDJ said:

Pics? No pics, no kudos.

:wink:

That's fair, i'm saving pics for when it's more consistent, still figuring the ai out.

9 hours ago, epicman81 said:

I feel like I should tell you that the MK23 was not meant to compete but meant to observe the competition and I will post my real fighter soon.

I wondered that, it was a bit weak, my plane beat the mk23 in a 4v4 where i forgot to arm my guns for the first couple of minutes.  

On 6/21/2016 at 6:27 AM, Bananders said:

i'm starting to think that there should've been an engine limit

Why?

There were fighters in WWII with more than 1 engine.

And while the time period says WWI Theme, it's not a hard and fast rule- just a recommendation.

I'm in favor of some engine limitations.

Spoiler

They will probably have to be applied for ASC-VI in September as to not mess up the current challenge. If we are trying for WWI or Interwar dogfights then high engine power is unreasonable even if we are only looking for loose realism. A Sopwith Camel (pretty iconic WWI fighter 1916) maxes at about 51 m/s and climbs at 5.5 m/s. In KSP, it is pretty easy using the diesel engine (modeled more after WWII engines I believe) to out perform that. My Volante (single engine) can hit 90m/s level and climb at twice the rate. On the other hand, a Supermarine Spitfire (iconic WWII fighter 1938) reaches 165 m/s and can climb at 13.2 m/s. So single engine craft fall close to interwar period craft. Having above WWI performance is also nice as it encourages more possibilities for experimentation and better game play. However, all the twin engined craft I could find in this era were not fighters (I'm probably wrong, send me links if such) until the P-38. I do not know how much the extra speed affects the contest, but if we try to have even a little bit of realism then it seems logical to limit it. I don't think a straight up engine count limit would work though, it hurts anyone trying to make planes with the tail rotors. A thrust limit could work but I'm not sure how to implement it well.

Biplanes and triplanes were favored in WWI mostly due to their climbing capabilities. Gaining altitude quickly let you escape an oppenent's line of fire. Not to mention, with higher altitude you could dive a little into your attacks creating a larger target. However, with the sheer power of the KSP engines (especially mounting two or three) climb rates are high enough that monoplanes work better. They produce a smaller target and usually result in lower part counts. If we want true WWI style dog fights I would recommend limiting engine thrust to something like 75% of the diesel engine's (roughly 40 kN).

Edited by TorchedForever
Added Spoiler

1 hour ago, JollyGreenGI said:

Yes okay, but Mach 1 is roughly 1234km/h.

Yep. Know that.
But Mach 0.6 isn't exactly a slouch for propellers. Not transonic, but I would consider that high subsonic.
I'm not going to worry about it. If somebody here can make a prop plane do Mach 0.6 to 0.75, then good for them.

Edited by GDJ

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.