Serial Space Station: Add your own module! (Closed - check out the new Community Space Station thread instead!)

1 hour ago, Jetski said:

I'm going to be busy running a career on my new 1.1 build.  If anyone is up for it feel free to port the latest savegame over to 1.1 and test it.  If all works, might boost the part limit to 8 + 2 docking ports.

NNOOO the 5 part limit is really challenging for people to work together.  I really hope this challenge continues for 1.1

Yes, but 8 parts makes building a little easier. Maybe two separate badges? One for adding a module and one special one for still staying 5 parts? 

Also, I need to know about accidentally hitting the station. Because the 64 Kerbal hab weighs 66.9 tons not including the transfer stage. And I can't f9 on our key board so I'm a little concerned.

1 hour ago, Ultimate Steve said:

@max_creative try changing the settings. Quicksave and Quickload are re-bindable via the settings menu. If you are using a windows 10 keyboard, do fn+f12 or alt+fn+f12.

I'm using a wireless Mac keyboard. And I already changed a ton of settings. It's not helping very much and zooming in toggles the lights and zooming out does an RCS translation. Not very helpful.

52 minutes ago, max_creative said:

I'm using a wireless Mac keyboard. And I already changed a ton of settings. It's not helping very much and zooming in toggles the lights and zooming out does an RCS translation. Not very helpful.

You can read my thoughts on hitting the station on the OP.  Basically, it's a failed mission if you break the station :)

You can always switch to Space Center before docking and save there.  

9 minutes ago, Jetski said:

You can read my thoughts on hitting the station on the OP.  Basically, it's a failed mission if you break the station :)

You can always switch to Space Center before docking and save there.  

Ok. I also have a 154.78 ton module I want to send up on a Dres II class booster. Don't ask what it is. And BTW I tested an impact on Jebsey station by hitting it at 100 m/s, and it got totally obliterated. Don't worry, after that I just reverted to the VAB, but still. Serial station might be stronger because it has an asteroid, but it's still going to be really bad if I hit it. 

Edit: Creativity Aerospace is in business! If anyone has a really heavy module I can put it in orbit for you with a Dres II or Dres III class booster!

Edited by max_creative

5 minutes ago, Dfthu said:

Ok im going try 1.1. if it works I will launch in 1.1 and if it doesn't work ill go back to 1.0.5

Let us know, if it works that's the official port to 1.1.  Leaving part count at 5 for now on OP, thinking now if we bump it up it will be only for a Jool mission assembly on station or something along those lines. A community Jool 5 ship would be something to see, yes? Suggestions welcome.

Edited by Jetski

hhmmm...  Initial impression is a 5 part lander is impossible for tylo or laythe so that only leaves a multi contributor docking port lander monstrosity.  However I suspect the kerbal Kommunity can come up with a soluition

16 minutes ago, max_creative said:

I'm having a hard time just figuring out how to make a 6 way node with the limits! A 2.5 meter one, not a 1.25 meter one. Those are easy.

Team work and KAS/KIS.

I never make 6 way connectors how do you do a normal 2.5m 6 way?

Put 6 rockomax brand 02 adapters on a station hub and put 6 senior docking ports on the adapters. The problem is that it's 13 parts. Even with the new rules it would be 3 parts over. I seriously need them though because they are more stable than regular ports. Plus the to-be-added Creativity Aerospace section is huge. And the booster alone is 175 parts.

I loaded up the save and it opened just fine for me in 1.1

The only thing that needs replacement is the asteroid. It didn't have texture when I loaded the station and all the grapplers were offset from it.

rWdtO5b.jpg

Link to the latest save file which works in 1.1 : https://www.dropbox.com/s/mitj13ohkgnasdb/KSS.sfs?dl=0

I say we need to replace the asteroid with a custom big 4-way hub, made by part clipping. And replace all the grapplers connected to the asteroid with docking ports via KIS.

Edited by Enceos

I have 1.0.5. Could someone please leave the large port at the end of the hab/mass relay/ore pod open for me? 

Edit: actually, I'm fine. I'll just send up a claw unit similar to the one holding the main station to the asteroid. Having at least 300 tons on one claw might be a big idea though... 

Edit Edit: someone should probably move the tug somewhere else. Whoever is in that cupola must be complaining about the claw in there face and the view.

Edited by max_creative

3 hours ago, nli2work said:

6 way hub with 5 parts is easy, harder part is 2 docking port limit. just loaded the save, asteroid has texture, but much darker than in 1.0.5

I'm forcing OpenGL on my desktop, maybe that's the issue for the black texture.

7 minutes ago, Spudrotuskutarsu said:

I could do a mission where i fix the station for 1.1 with a central hub piece

That will be an amazing endeavor. Would take me two hours at least. If you think you can do that - go ahead. Vid report would be awesome :3

I imagine a mission with two big tugs to move stations around (two to minimize the torque by grappling them on each side of the station section). A hub probably with two cross clipping tanks or other structurals (make sure you strut at least once). And Kis magic all around ). Don't ditch the asteroid yet, I'd grapple it on the farthest side of the station.

Edited by Enceos

I just noticed what the problem is, I'm still on 1.0.2 and that's why it's not workin' for me.

But I STILL can't update either, for some reason my correctly entered (!) E-mail and password aren't accepted. I'll have to step out of this for now.

Hey guys! 

15 hours ago, Jetski said:

Leaving part count at 5 for now on OP, thinking now if we bump it up it will be only for a Jool mission assembly on station or something along those lines.

I saw this and thought about it, then drew it on paper, the built it in ksp, so I have made the imagination class interplanetary ship to fit the 10 part interplanetary limit! My plan is they are assembled on the station, then anyone can take them and use them! 34 parts and 69 Kerbals! What do you think @Jetski

Edit: GUYS!!! We should make a community jool ship! Build it on the station then work together to send it to jool! If we make one I can supply some big fuel tanks and habitation modules. And I have some really big rockets. A Dres III can put at least 200 tons in orbit.

Edited by max_creative

3 hours ago, max_creative said:

Hey guys! 

I saw this and thought about it, then drew it on paper, the built it in ksp, so I have made the imagination class interplanetary ship to fit the 10 part interplanetary limit! My plan is they are assembled on the station, then anyone can take them and use them! 34 parts and 69 Kerbals! What do you think @Jetski

Edit: GUYS!!! We should make a community jool ship! Build it on the station then work together to send it to jool! If we make one I can supply some big fuel tanks and habitation modules. And I have some really big rockets. A Dres III can put at least 200 tons in orbit.

Could we use my idea of different people doing different parts of the mission?

if we do it

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.