Serial Space Station: Add your own module! (Closed - check out the new Community Space Station thread instead!)

Laythe SSTOs are undergoing preflight checks, and the Tylo, Vall, and Bop+Pol landers are under construction. Parts are being delivered for the Jool Atmospheric Probe. And could @max_creative do commercial launches for the non-SSTO craft? If so, thanks. Oh yeah, an SSTO kinda HAS to be over 5 parts + 2 docking ports, so is that OK?

18 minutes ago, KAL 9000 said:

Laythe SSTOs are undergoing preflight checks, and the Tylo, Vall, and Bop+Pol landers are under construction. Parts are being delivered for the Jool Atmospheric Probe. And could @max_creative do commercial launches for the non-SSTO craft? If so, thanks. Oh yeah, an SSTO kinda HAS to be over 5 parts + 2 docking ports, so is that OK?

5 parts + 2 ports is for the station. 8 parts + 2 ports is for Jool. And it doesn't include the launcher.

And yes. Anything up to 250 tons I can launch. As long as it fits in a 3.75 meter fairing. 

8 hours ago, MarkoeZ said:

Hi ppl,

The link to the savegame on the first page is 3 days old, and the station in it has less parts than in the picture.

Where can i find the most recent savegame? Would like to add something :)

Thanks!

From a quick scan of the thread, no one has sent up a module since I put up a drive section on Friday, that's the link on the OP.   If nobody else chimes in, go ahead and send your module up in that savegame.  

Here's the save re-uploaded just in case Dropbox got weird.

Should look like this (same image as I uploaded to OP):

biMNUMF.png

Edited by Jetski

15 hours ago, Jetski said:

From a quick scan of the thread, no one has sent up a module since I put up a drive section on Friday, that's the link on the OP.   If nobody else chimes in, go ahead and send your module up in that savegame.  

Here's the save re-uploaded just in case Dropbox got weird.

Should look like this (same image as I uploaded to OP):

Hmm, maybe i just messed up myself and played on a save i downloaded about a week back, dunno :S

Anyway: Launching now!

Hmm, now i get an error on the save file: "Incompatible with this version of KSP". Im running version 1.1.0.1230 and took the save from last post

Solved!

Edited by MarkoeZ

2 hours ago, Spudrotuskutarsu said:

Mission complete! Jebediah Kerman, and SpudroTuskuTarsu + (some random kerbonaut) are joining the crew aboard the station. 

I'll upload a video later about the mission. 

the updated save: https://www.dropbox.com/s/umzdnttif7y3hc6/April%2026.4.2016.sfs?dl=0

A video of the mission! 

17 minutes ago, MarkoeZ said:

Hmm, maybe i just messed up myself and played on a save i downloaded about a week back, dunno :S

Anyway: Launching now!

Hmm, now i get an error on the save file: "Incompatible with this version of KSP". Im running version 1.1.0.1230 and took the save from last post

Huh, I created it in 1.1.0.1230 version..

Edited by Spudrotuskutarsu
wrong link

27 minutes ago, Spudrotuskutarsu said:

Huh, I created it in 1.1.0.1230 version..

Nvm, seems i've been screwing up somehow. I deleted everything and started totally fresh, working now :) 

Launching!

Edited by MarkoeZ
spelling

And done!

I diverted sliiiiightly from the rules :P It is a space station challenge, but since we are going to Jool i added a 5 part scout ship! Probably good to scout ahead before we send our B.A.J.S. (Big Ass Jool Ship, name subject to change) on its mission :) Could also be tugged along for exploration in Jool system ofc.
Very basic craft for now, but looks pretty decent already imo and planning to add to it using the docking ports. Probably stuff like sensors/comm (its a scout ship..), power generation (solar panel), rcs like on the deploy modules, landing capability (parachutes/landing gear), etc. Anyone else free to add to it too ofc, just keep in mind its supposed to be a scout ship so keep it small :)

Fully fueled it can already easily get to Jool, scout Jool system, and wait for the mothership. Or to Jool and back with a proper trajectory, maybe a small gravity assist somewhere along the way.

Dropbox Save File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/i81mtl7muzxwaaj/KSS.sfs?dl=0

Imgur album:

Edited by MarkoeZ
additions

I've been half following for a while and would like to jump in.  What does this project need?  I was thinking about a large fuel dump (5 of the largest tanks)... or a class E asteroid... or recreating my val/tylo/bop/pol lander.  I don't really have any experience with kerbal attatchment system.  Could this 19 part ship be created in orbit from parts? 

https://kerbalx.com/XKerbal/Tylo-Lander

Edited by JebsDead

@MarkoeZ, man that is a great scout ship!  We definitely need to send it ahead to check out the system.  Someone needs to add a power generating module and we can send it on its way!   @JebsDead, a fuel section would be fine, maybe not a class E unless you're sure you can get it and dock it to the station without ending life as we know it.  Up to you, I encourage the attempt!  If you want to throw a lander together, just try to make each stage as a separate module, and use Docking Jr ports where you would normally have decouplers.  Or if it doesn't need staging, we can do a Station Maintenance mission to remove the ports and weld it together.  Remember, if it's going to Jool on the mothership the part limit is 8 + up to 2 docking ports!  If you want, you could launch one module then post the next one as a .craft for someone else to launch (include a screenshot of the module in your post).

15 hours ago, Jetski said:

@MarkoeZ, man that is a great scout ship!  We definitely need to send it ahead to check out the system.  Someone needs to add a power generating module and we can send it on its way!   @JebsDead, a fuel section would be fine, maybe not a class E unless you're sure you can get it and dock it to the station without ending life as we know it.  *snip*

I could fly up some solar panels and KAS them onto the scout ship

9 hours ago, Jhawk1099 said:

I could fly up some solar panels and KAS them onto the scout ship

I think that would qualify as a legit station maintenance mission, even more so if you can steal the solar panels off a nearby module instead of bringing them up...

This could get dangerous scavenging to build a cool ship.  I once flew an entire challenge stealing parts off bases and modifying the ship as we went.  Lots of fun :)

1 hour ago, RA3236 said:

Who's in line, I want to take up a resource storage unit.

First come, first serve 

And since nobody claimed yet, feel free to go ahead and do your mission :) 

Just mention something like " Launching! " so others know you are doing an attempt. 

7 hours ago, MarkoeZ said:

First come, first serve 

And since nobody claimed yet, feel free to go ahead and do your mission :) 

Just mention something like " Launching! " so others know you are doing an attempt. 

Yep, well I suppose, Launching!!!

Hrm. Upon closer inspection there do appear to be a lot of RCS ports...

Rather than disqualifying the submission, I offer this as an opportunity for a KIS station maintenance mission (see OP for details) to remove them and mount them on the scout ship. Volunteers?  

Also for future reference, KSS modules are capped at 5 parts plus 2 docking ports, ship modules at 8 + 2.

My first module.  Three XL girder segments, two claws and two docking ports.   It seems that the asteroid is running out of real estate so I'm going to bring in another one. 

I'm running 1.1 from the release day. 

I put the updated save in my dropbox share.  Here's a link. 
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/101nfu5o6n0qvlg/AAApOGHvfIwBcTVB0X1uwoila?dl=0

Let me know if I did anything wrong of it the save file is supposed to go somewhere else. 

Edited by JebsDead

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.