Serial Space Station: Add your own module! (Closed - check out the new Community Space Station thread instead!)

1 hour ago, Venusgate said:

I said intent of the challenge, which my understanding is (at least how I'm limiting myself) that each addition is assembled via docking ports.

I didn't interpret the rules that way... but my ship meets that requirement anyway.  8 parts for the main crew/drive section, 8 parts for the mining rig and 8 parts for the (soon to be launched) lander. 

New save is here: 
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x6f972w42yui7qz/KSS.sfs?dl=0

• I docked a small lander to the mining rig.  My next mission will be to Ike and Duna. 
  • I also removed the extra docking ports from my mining rig.  I accidentally added two extra in the VAB due to 3x symmetry.
  • I also removed 4 struts left by @Jaffa Cookie.  When using struts make sure you start them from the part of your ship you are de-orbiting.  The strut part/mass exists at the first connection node even after strut disconnection.

Edited by JebsDead

12 hours ago, Venusgate said:

copy the last 5-6 digit string of characters after the last / in the web address and past that into the prompt.

so that's what the album ID is.  Tried both the album name and the entire web address in the prompt.  thanks @Venusgate

Done:

New Save: https://www.dropbox.com/s/88hcpmxl179dpiy/KSS.sfs?dl=0

• Renamed ship - NSEA Protector
  • Renamed lander - Eagle 
  • Landed on Duna
  • Landed and refueled on Ike
  • Currently in orbit around Ike

The tiny lander worked way better than expected.  >4 TWR.  1600 m/s left after an easy powered landing and re-orbit. 

Edited by JebsDead

Ok, I might launch tonight. If I do, when I'm done there will be a gigantic asteroid hauler umm... Present... on Dres. I want to bring a big asteroid and put it in orbit around Bop, then I'm going to deorbit it. Does anyone need anything launched? I can add stuff to the station if anyone has a big thing. Anything up to 500 tons (I have bigger rockets in 1.1) I can launch for people.

Even more solar panels :D

New save file:Here

14 hours ago, max_creative said:

Anything up to 500 tons (I have bigger rockets in 1.1) I can launch for people.

I have just the thing for you to put into orbit! Here is a module

There should be only 1 Sr. clamp-o-tron so put it there. (marked in a imgur pickture with a X)

An interesting thing is that the station has moved/rolled during Jebs mission to duna.

Edited by hoowuth

39 minutes ago, red dragon areospace said:

I have a airplane for Laythe. It is from 1.0.5 and I think that it has two extra docking ports but other than that it should be ok. Here it is.

How are you going to get that thing to Laythe and back?

No RCS= can't dock.

1300 m/s of delta-v is enough for kerbin muns.

It looks cool!

I have no idea how I would get that into orbit and docked to the station as it is nearly 10m in diameter.

In my opinion it is a little unfinished as its missing RCS, Solar panels, landing things and control stuff.

Doesn't fly very vell

No RCS does not = no docking.  It just requires more finesse. My Duna ship has no RCS.  Easier with small craft but doable with something this size for sure. 

The space plane does have problems though.  No RCS makes docking hard.  No RCS and no power makes it near impossible. No wheels might be a problem for landing. 

Jetski,

Can we get a ruling on construction in orbit?  You said KAS is allowed.  Is that just for station maintenance or can we reconfigure ships?  I fudged a little on my Duna lander.  I was planning to steal docking port seniors from the station and mount my mining rig under the engines.  

[command pod]
[engine][tanks][engine]
--------- (sr docking ports)
[ISRU][drill]

When someone pointed out that using KAS to add parts might be outside of the spirit of the challenge I  decided to used the existing docking ports and put the mining rig on top.

[ISRU]
----------- (std docking ports)
[command pod]
[engine][tanks][engine][drill]

I had to move the drill to the tanks though so I did reconfigure. 

I could have launched in this configuration though since I could have swapped the battery for the drill and still stayed within the 8 part limit for both launches. 

If building in orbit is ok I have Laythe and Tylo landers which could be built in two launches each. 

https://kerbalx.com/XKerbal/Jewel-V

On 13/05/2016 at 9:52 PM, JebsDead said:

• I also removed 4 struts left by @Jaffa Cookie.  When using struts make sure you start them from the part of your ship you are de-orbiting.  The strut part/mass exists at the first connection node even after strut disconnection.

Oh, I never knew that. :)

43 minutes ago, Venusgate said:

This is the persistent file?

I'm not experienced enough with save trading to know if that will work, but I thought we were swapping around the KSS.sfs file?

Yes, Ksp loads the persistent file, that's the actual save file. If you don't it will come up with a error I believe saying that one of the saves is a bad save and should not be their because it's bad. (and then get's rid of it).

Have a look into your other save files, You'll have a "persistent.sfs" file in their, The other ones are quicksaves (saves, but not the main one) (Saves the current state so it can load it anouther time later on.

Also no one has claimed save.

Edited by Jaffa Cookie

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.