Serial Space Station: Add your own module! (Closed - check out the new Community Space Station thread instead!)

4 hours ago, JebsDead said:

The spaceplane craft file is in the comments.  I downloaded it last week and looked at it. 

20k?  For Jool? 

I think 3500K for roundtrip on the mothership is plenty if we catch a decent window, especially if we do a decent midcourse correction to catch a Tylo gravicapture.  A few easily undocked fuel cans, and some NERVAS should be enough to get wherever we need.  Particularly if that fine Duna mining ship can meet us there :)

The QBEsat is GLITCHING THROUGH THE [CENSORED] KSS DOCKING PORT!!!

Look what I have been forced to resort to:

BP7Vncz

And that was after I rammed the docking port at ~25 m/s AND RELOADED THE QUICKSAVE!!! Even MechJeb can't dock it!

*Cue "Imperfect Lock" and cinematic*

Edited by KAL 9000

KAL 9000 can you finish or release the save.  You are half way through your second day with the save claimed. 

FYI:

I've seen some problems with docking ports too.    

rnK0AiY.png

When doing station cleanup I had problems after adding a large docking port to the tank in this picture and trying to dock.  Even with a perfect alignment there was no magnetic attraction and they would not connect.  In the end I swapped the new port with the second large port that is on the SAS module and was able to get them to connect.  

I just did a test with the latest save file and I was able to dock to the ports you appear to be using and many others with no problems.  I was NOT able to dock with the large docking ports on the SAS module mentioned above. This is the one I had trouble docking with until I changed it.  

I suspect that the docking port state can get fouled up when using KAS.  It can probably be fixed in the save file.  It can be fixed by swapping out the broken port (I tested it.)  If you can't dock you should be able to use another docking port.  We have many open ports.  

On 5/22/2016 at 0:13 AM, JebsDead said:

I'm planning for my next mission to be to restore the Duna ship.  Do you want me to take it to Jool or bring it back to the KSS?  My preference is Jool.     

Sounds ideal, Jool would be good.

1 hour ago, JebsDead said:

I suspect that the docking port state can get fouled up when using KAS.  It can probably be fixed in the save file.  It can be fixed by swapping out the broken port (I tested it.)  If you can't dock you should be able to use another docking port.  We have many open ports.

I can confirm this partially. Couldn't dock to a port i moved with KAS. I suspected a game reload would have cleared it up, but i didnt have the time to troubleshoot.

also, apparently my mission post never went though or got deleted from the forum :< Guess I'll redo it whenever the save gets back.

16 hours ago, JebsDead said:

KAL 9000 can you finish or release the save.  You are half way through your second day with the save claimed. 

FYI:

I've seen some problems with docking ports too.    

rnK0AiY.png

When doing station cleanup I had problems after adding a large docking port to the tank in this picture and trying to dock.  Even with a perfect alignment there was no magnetic attraction and they would not connect.  In the end I swapped the new port with the second large port that is on the SAS module and was able to get them to connect.  

I just did a test with the latest save file and I was able to dock to the ports you appear to be using and many others with no problems.  I was NOT able to dock with the large docking ports on the SAS module mentioned above. This is the one I had trouble docking with until I changed it.  

Yeah, that was the third port I tried.

I can probably get a modified illuminati confirmed engine pod (yes that's it's name) up today! I use a kind that has the engines protected by a mk3 cargo ramp and I use them because destroying the engines are super hard when they are closed. That cargo bay ramp thing reminds my of the Diamond class tug... 

1 hour ago, JebsDead said:

Restoring the NSAE Protector (Duna ship) and moving it to Jool.  I'm thinking Val. Do we care about exposing spoilers? 

Personal request: is there a way you can start a transfer, and leave it while people add more modules to KSS/send off the scout ship?

Done.

New save file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/n0wiqeq7zwy2bb4/KSS.sfs?dl=0

I  restored the NSAE Protector through Hyperedit trickery. I flew it to Pol, landed, and left it fully fueled in orbit. 

I didn't see the message about sharing a transfer window until the mission was done.  I came from Duna so the window wouldn't have worked anyway. 

If anyone wants to use it to refuel you will need to land on Pol again and mine to top off if you need oxidizer.  It only has enough oxidizer for one refill of the small lander.  It has room for more though.

Edited by JebsDead

Nice job @JebsDead!  I'm thinking for the Jool transfer someone needs to just fly the main ship there and get into a stable orbit of one of the moons before giving back the save.  I've had problems between saves losing the position of planets, so we shouldn't try to share the save mid-trip. I'm going away again tonight (sailing a boat offshore for 3-4 days. Sails = free dV!) but I'm giving the go-ahead on the Jool mission.  If it hasn't been flown by the time I get back, I'll see what I can do, but I'd love to see what our team can put together.  Sounds like there's already a potential refueling lander waiting at Pol.  Send out the scout ship in the same window if you like.  Strap a mothership together from what we've got on station at KSS, or deliver another module if needed, but let's do this!

Edited by Jetski

1 hour ago, Jetski said:

Nice job @JebsDead!  I'm thinking for the Jool transfer someone needs to just fly the main ship there and get into a stable orbit of one of the moons before giving back the save.  I've had problems between saves losing the position of planets, so we shouldn't try to share the save mid-trip. I'm going away again tonight (sailing a boat offshore for 3-4 days. Sails = free dV!) but I'm giving the go-ahead on the Jool mission.  If it hasn't been flown by the time I get back, I'll see what I can do, but I'd love to see what our team can put together.  Sounds like there's already a potential refueling lander waiting at Pol.  Send out the scout ship in the same window if you like.  Strap a mothership together from what we've got on station at KSS, or deliver another module if needed, but let's do this!

Aw, my QBEsat isn't coming then, and the Laythe lander within the limit is still in testing. Could someone move my old lab to the Jool ship?

The ship at Pol has limited usefulness as a refueler.  Be aware of the limitations before counting on it for fuel. 

• It's significantly smaller than the main Jool ship.  Check the fuel capacity to see how many mining trips it would take to refuel.
  • No free docking ports.  If you want to refuel you should probably bring an extra regular docking port and an engineer with a wrench to stick it on the end of the mining rig.  Alternatively you could reconfigure the ship eliminating the middle docking ports and reuse them on the end.  This would require many kerbals though.
  • No RCS.  

Or bring a claw. 

I may try it, but is there any chance we could use a mothership (Such as my modified version of Macey Dean's KSS-Spirit Of Kerbin) and maybe leave it in orbit around Kerbin, once the payload is dropped off as a refueling site?

If so, expect a new module later today :wink:

Edit1: Save file is incompatible with version apparently, using 1.1.0

Edited by Some1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.