[1.3.0] Kerbalism v1.2.9

ShotgunNinja

Hate to tell you this, but I think you might have made a mistake on the radiation profile for the stock bodies. You gave Vall the Ionosphere, but I think you meant to give it to Laythe.

Also, I can't seem to get the particle effect. I ticked all those boxes but I still can't see it.

EDIT: Could it be possible that having planets without radiation coding could be affecting it?

Edited by BashGordon33

@BashGordon33 Vall should have the 'surface' model, a mistake that will fix in new version.

Laythe is inside Jool magnetopause all the time, never touches its rings... so is quite a nice place already

ALL THOSE WITH GPU PROBLEMS

• download this file and copy it in Shaders/ directory, replacing existing file
  • try to replicate the issue with only this mod installed
  • make sure this mod is installed correctly
  • try setting quality to low in Settings.cfg
  • do you see the lines rendered from signal link
  • are you using DirectX or OpenGL, win/linux/mac?
  • what GPU are you using

The gpu is important if I see that only people with a particular vendor (NVIDIA) and/or a particular generation of GPU have the issue. Please understand that I can't replicate it myself with the hardware I got.

Edited by ShotgunNinja

1 hour ago, ShotgunNinja said:

• what GPU are you using

The gpu is important if I see that only people with a particular vendor (NVIDIA) and/or a particular generation of GPU have the issue. Please understand that I can't replicate it myself with the hardware I got.

Followed instructions on fresh install of KSP with only Kerbalism installed from CKAN. No render, no lines from signal link. Link to logs - http://www.filedropper.com/ksp GPU is Nvidia 970 GTX on Windows 10 64 bit.

2 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@BashGordon33 Vall should have the 'surface' model, a mistake that will fix in new version.

Laythe is inside Jool magnetopause all the time, never touches its rings... so is quite a nice place already

• what GPU are you using

I am having the same problem as well. Tried with the requested file, this mod alone, low quality. signal link lines show correctly but the magnetic fields do not appear. Am using DirectX on Windows 10 (64 bit). GPU is Nvidia GeForce GTX 960.

I am willing to have a separate install for doing testing for you as you are unable to test with the hardware configuration that is exhibiting the problem.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/apl4s9met48kaxz/output_log.txt?dl=0

Edited by JeffreyCor

Hi, 

First of all, thanks for this amazing mod. I cant imagine playing KSP without it ;-)

I also have the same problem as JeffreyCor. Tried with the requested file, this mod alone, low quality setting. Signal link lines show correctly but the magnetic fields do not appear. I have Windows 10 (64 bit), 64bit KSP. GPU is also Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 (laptop).

Finally came back home and gave 1.0.9 a try, works awesome on my pc, with or without other mods, tried on windows 7 (64), low quality ON/OFF, openGL and Dx10/11, GPU Nvidia GeForce GT 240

Resolved own issue by running through CKAN with -force-opengl command line parameter. Belts render and appear correctly. Then removed -force-opengl and belts stopped rendering. Tried running on 32 bit KSP without -force-opengl and get message that belt was rendering, but belt never rendered.

The issue seems to be directX rendering on an Nvidia 9XX, regardless of other mods or KSP 64/32 bit.

@ShotgunNinja Hello! I'd like to re-report a certain bug (or lack of feature). I mentioned it a while ago. It appears that the current version of Kerbalism VAB/SPH Planner doesn't count electricity consumption for RemoteTech antennas and dishes. They draw quite a lot of power, so it would be great if the Planner would take them into account. I believe Kerbalism supports compatibility with RT, and a lot of people use these two mods together. Would it be possible to implement this electricity calculation, please? And thank you for making such a great mod!

@TheSaint Every zone (belts, pauses) has a radiation (that can be negative). For each vessel, I determine the set of zones they are in (considering the whole body chain) and sum their radiation. Then I add the 'extern' radiation (from outside all the zones, out of the heliopause). Then storm radiation if that is the case. Finally, I add the sum of all emitters in that vessel. So they are acting as 'vessel-wide' radiation.

@aluc24 Well the planner only consider things that are also considered by the background simulation, that doesn't include RT modules. It may be implemented in future, eventually. 

50 minutes ago, aluc24 said:

I am sure that RT antennas do consume electricity in background simulation

I admit I didn't ever use RT so I can't confirm or deny it. But this mod is not simulating their EC consumption in background. And I have the suspect RT isn't doing it either, because from a design point-of-view no mod can consume EC in background without also giving the user some way to produce it in background.

3 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

I admit I didn't ever use RT so I can't confirm or deny it. But this mod is not simulating their EC consumption in background. And I have the suspect RT isn't doing it either, because from a design point-of-view no mod can consume EC in background without also giving the user some way to produce it in background.

Well, I am no programmer, but I noticed that with RT, there is no difference in EC consumption whenever the vessel is active or not, just as vessels with Kerbalism have food, oxygen and other consumptions running in the background.

Unrelated question, if I may: say one is using Kerbalism without RT. How can I execute a maneuver with a probe that doesn't have a link to Kerbin? For example, the first probe to Duna may require a circularization burn that might just happen to be on the "other" side of Duna. It is very difficult to predict such cases. 

How can I execute a maneuver with a probe that doesn't have a link to Kerbin? For example, the first probe to Duna may require a circularization burn that might just happen to be on the "other" side of Duna. It is very difficult to predict such cases.

I'm thinkering with an automation system, but is more focused on enabling/disabling components when some conditions apply. But in general, the signal system here was never meant to evolve into a full RT clone. In your example, you could plan the burn(s) so that they are possible without a relay for the first vessel, then on successive ones you exploit the first one as relay.

@Sutima You can do something like that already, by adding the Emitter module to the part you want as a shield:

@PART[my_fuel_tank_or_whatever]
{
  MODULE
  {
    name = Emitter
    radiation = -0.0002 // rad/h
    tooltip = This part offer some shielding against radiation
  }
}

2 minutes ago, ShotgunNinja said:

I'm thinkering with an automation system, but is more focused on enabling/disabling components when some conditions apply. But in general, the signal system here was never meant to evolve into a full RT clone. In your example, you could plan the burn(s) so that they are possible without a relay for the first vessel, then on successive ones you exploit the first one as relay.

Yeah, well, there will still be cases when you need to execute maneuver without a link... (S*** happens). Well, anyway, at least for now, RT is very helpful. I really hope you can implement that RT antenna EC calculation in the Planner, if it's not too much trouble.

@ShotgunNinja  Sweet, just got back to playing kerbal and totally forgot about adding with Patches and adding modules and so on =).
Altho what i had in mind would use the model and you would have to point the shield, say at the sun to shield it somewhat from a storm and alike..

4 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@TheSaint Every zone (belts, pauses) has a radiation (that can be negative). For each vessel, I determine the set of zones they are in (considering the whole body chain) and sum their radiation. Then I add the 'extern' radiation (from outside all the zones, out of the heliopause). Then storm radiation if that is the case. Finally, I add the sum of all emitters in that vessel. So they are acting as 'vessel-wide' radiation.

So the placement of the emitters on the vessel has no effect on the exposure of the crew. Hmmm. Little less enthusiastic about the emitter module now, may just omit it. 

Next in line, a simple 'automation system' is being implemented. It will serve multiple purposes:

• allow some form of automation on the state of vessel devices
  • store 'files' per-vessel: text notes, scripts
  • will be used by the incoming science system to store and manage data, and to transfer it to other computers/vessels

There will be a predefined set of 'script files' in the computer, that the user can edit. These files will be executed as scripts automatically when some events happen such as: 

[auto/landed]      vessel just landed
[auto/unlinked]    vessel lost signal
[auto/linked]      vessel regained signal
[auto/lowpower]    vessel is low on ElectricCharge
[auto/crewhazard]  crew health is low
[auto/space]       vessel is in space
[auto/atmosphere]  vessel is in atmosphere
[auto/eva_out]     crew went out on EVA
[auto/eva_in]      crew reentered from EVA
[auto/sunlight]    vessel is in sunlight
[auto/shadow]      vessel is in shadow

The devices that can be controlled will include:

scrubber           enable/disable
recycler           enable/disable
greenhouse         set lighting
gravity rings      set speed
active shields     set intensity
sensors            (coming soon in science system)
stock lights       turn on/off

The commands are simple:

list {dir}                   list directories, or files in a directory
info [file]                  print status of a device
ctrl [file] [value]          enable/disable/throttle a device
run [file]                   execute a text file as a script
send [file] [target]         send a file to another machine in the network
name [machine_name]          rename this machine
print [msg]                  print a message on console
log [msg]                    append a line to doc/log
message [msg]                show a message on screen

Some motivating examples:

==========================================
auto/shadow

// turn on all the lights as soon as the sun is not visible anymore
ctrl lights on
auto/linked

// send all data as soon as we are linked
send data net/home
auto/lowpower

// turn off non-essential systems when battery is low
ctrl lights off
ctrl sensors off
ctrl activeshields off

// make sure only one scrubber is enabled
ctrl scrubbers/0 on
ctrl scrubbers/1 off

// set the greenhouse lights to half intensity
ctrl greenhouses/0 0.5

// shut down all the gravity ring
ctrl rings off

Hello,

I'm getting this log-spam using Kerbalism (I'm using the latest version compiled from Github)

OverflowException: Number overflow.
  at KERBALISM.Lib.Hash32 (System.String s) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at KERBALISM.Rule.Variance (.ProtoCrewMember c, Double variance) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at KERBALISM.Rule.applyRules (.Vessel v, KERBALISM.vessel_info vi, KERBALISM.vessel_data vd, KERBALISM.vessel_resources resources, Double elapsed_s) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at KERBALISM.Engine.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

at KERBALISM.Rule.Variance (.ProtoCrewMember c, Double variance) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at KERBALISM.Rule.applyRules (.Vessel v, KERBALISM.vessel_info vi, KERBALISM.vessel_data vd, KERBALISM.vessel_resources resources, Double elapsed_s) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Do you guys have any suggestion to try to troubleshoot this issue?

@kR105 Uncheck the flag 'Check for arithmetic overflow/underflow' in the compiler. That bit of code is perfectly safe to overflow. In fact I don't want any overflow/underflow checking at runtime both for speed (the checking is not free) and for functionality (sometimes your code exploit integer overflow/underflow, like in this hash function).

Edited by ShotgunNinja