The Grand KSP 1.1 Discussion Thread

KasperVld

I haven't had too many issues but based on my limited play so far my comments are as follows:

• Navball is far too big at 100% UI scale, everything else is ok though.
• Smallest wheels are too frail and are almost unusable due to how little weight they can now carry.
• Game frequently crashes during VAB or SPH (x64) building, seems to be random, sometimes it will happen after a few seconds, other times a few minutes or not at all.
• Wheels seem to be too bouncy, the game seems to be even more difficult to get a spaceplane to take off over v1.0.5, mostly the wheels bounce then the plane flips to one side (usually the left) before exploding even on craft that have been perfectly built and balanced with symmetry mode.

My comments are based on v1.1.0 with NO MODS.

ADDITIONAL COMMENT:

I've just noticed that the Air Intake has been removed from the flight resource display, this is not good at all, now there is no way to monitor the air intakes to know when to switch engine modes from air breathing to not.

Edited by sysigy

I don't mind the new larger navball, I play on a relatively large screen with relatively high resolution so it has a good size here. I actually found the old navball a bit on the small side. I can live with the glitchy landing struts, haven't really tried the landing wheels yet. I'm having docking port issues, but I suspect it might be a craft design flaw on my part with RCS tanks slightly clipping into the port. My main complaint is the VAB/SPH issues, with nasty FPS drops and occasional crashes. I haven't submitted a bug report as I'm sure Squad is aware of these issues by now. Once they've released a patch to kill off the last big bugs the game will be golden, the performance in flight is excellent.

14 minutes ago, Mjarf said:

I'm having docking port issues, but I suspect it might be a craft design flaw on my part with RCS tanks slightly clipping into the port

I am curious what docking port issues you have had? I have been trying to fulfil a simple docking contract in carrier mode and despite several hours of butting ports together have yet to get it done. I have tried both stock and mod ships using the jr port. The one thing I noticed after a while was the ports would actually merge into each other . The graphics would show something like what would happen if the one port was not there. Ie the collision didnt seem to occur until the base mount area of the port. At this point I am considering trying to mod one of the pilots to have sufficient skill to allow auto docking using mech jeb just to rule out if this is me or the program. Previous version I could manually dock after a few bashes but nothing  was this bad even when I first started ksp.

Sliding point of view

This just occurred last night and I have noticed that it behaves one way in orbit and another during landing and i aircraft flight. During orbit it tends to occur while costing up to the circ burn point. The   pov at first seems to jitter then the pov shifts. The pov focus is no longer centered on the vehicle but 1 to 2 vehicle lengths behind. I also noticed that after this occurred that any change in orientation of the vehicle used that focus point as well not part of the vehicle. So if I change from pro to retrograde the vehicle does this large loop instead of just spinning around a point on the vehicle body. I also had this happen on reentry and it occurr

Spoiler

ed about 8500 meters and just when the drouge chutes changed to safe to deploy. The vehicle would slide off a few lengths and stabilize but as soon as the chutes were deployed the distance would increase to what appeared to be about 1000 meters. Upon spash down the pov would be well under water or below ground level. I built a 4 engined transport to try out the medium gear and while I could smack that onto the ground with out it breaking if I went offshore to about where the bottom  first drops the aircraft would have to pov shift very far behind. Unzoomed it was just a dot while at max zoom and actually pointing where it was you could just make out the basic design features.I at first thought this was speed or altitude related like the reentry but it seemed more like it was triggered by that change in depth.

I was running with almost every mod of interest just to see if this made any difference in stability but its actually be very solid and stable compared to earlier versions. Huge improvement to say the least. These issues didnt start right away but after quite a few hours of sim time.

In my case the docking ports clearly attract eachother, but can't quite merge, there is a slight gap between them and they clearly try to merge. I should re-try docking without the RCS tanks to confirm if it's a clipping issue or not.

Is it just me or do wheels no longer have ANY friction at all ? On Kerbin my Rover could just drive with the same speed for several kilometers, no force pushing. There seems to be no air resistance and the wheels have zero friction, one push and they roll forever. On the mun my Rover can drive UPHILL and is barely slowing down... but when i try to turn the wheels suddenly have major grip and just flip my craft over

For me, (bought from the KSP store), the 64-bit version runs much worse than the 32-bit version. For example, I had decent FPS on low settings in 1.0.5, and in 1.1 the game was almost a slideshow. (I did disable the new terrain shader in the settings file, which only helpes slightly). I decided to run 32-bit KSP and the game ran just as it had in 1.0.5, with a significant performance increase with crafts with many parts.

My laptop is a 64-bit system (Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @2.40 GHz), yet runs 32-bit KSP much better than 64-bit KSP. Anyone have any idea why?

35 minutes ago, SpenSpaceCorp said:

For me, (bought from the KSP store), the 64-bit version runs much worse than the 32-bit version. For example, I had decent FPS on low settings in 1.0.5, and in 1.1 the game was almost a slideshow. (I did disable the new terrain shader in the settings file, which only helpes slightly). I decided to run 32-bit KSP and the game ran just as it had in 1.0.5, with a significant performance increase with crafts with many parts.

My laptop is a 64-bit system (Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @2.40 GHz), yet runs 32-bit KSP much better than 64-bit KSP. Anyone have any idea why?

This could be that your laptop is not properly using your graphics card. 

check out the bottom half of this post for instructions on a possible fix for you. 

So I posted about this concern for the pre-release and many people said that because it was the pre-release they hadn't put the finishing touches on it. Im sorry I don't really like the way the game looks. Especially in the VAB. Outside of the VAB the game looks pretty much the same, but in the VAB I don't like the way the textures look on the left and even putting a ship together it just doesn't seem right to me. Maybe its just me. I want to get other peoples opinions. My graphics setting are not at the highest, however they are no lower than they were in 1.0.5 and lower. 

Should have ironed out the bugs first, Squad. I can't even use a spaceplane because it simply bounces all over the place.. I thought you guys were the all-time champs of releasing material. However, this time, Your "release party" was premature. Nice improvements in the game, I'd enjoy them If i could actually get off the ground...... I knew wheels were going to be a nightmare >.<

It's not just you.  1.1 is a major step backward in terms of looks.  The fonts on the in-flight UI look terrible, possibly due to incorrect hinting.  Everyone is complaining about the size of the navball.  Buttons with text on them have the wrong size text.  Resizing the UI to fix (some of) these issues causes bugs like apoapsis and periapsis markers to end up inside a planet. (Or so I've heard.  I haven't actually tried it myself)

I suppose issues like this should be expected when changing the engine (from Unity 4 to 5), but they should have been ironed out in the beta.  Personally, I'm not playing for now and I'm waiting for tomorrow's devnotes to see if I should hold out for 1.1.1 or just downgrade to 1.0.5.

1 hour ago, NikkyD said:

Is it just me or do wheels no longer have ANY friction at all ? On Kerbin my Rover could just drive with the same speed for several kilometers, no force pushing. There seems to be no air resistance and the wheels have zero friction, one push and they roll forever. On the mun my Rover can drive UPHILL and is barely slowing down... but when i try to turn the wheels suddenly have major grip and just flip my craft over

Wheels, airframe drag profile seems to be disappearing during flight after 3 or so minutes, then the plane pitches down unrecoverable, at least for me.
So I don't think you're nuts at all.

I'll be putting in a bug/log report when I get a spare moment.

I think there's definite room for improvement, but i'm generally happy with it.  As was mentioned, I'd like to have seen some other plugins made stock, for example, they could have pulled in something like Blizzy's toolbar, added anchoring and such, so a user could customize the order, size, available buttons, and position of their toolbar, as @AlamoVampire said.  Better UI scaling would have been nice.  I'm a fan of the 'widget' style layout, where *everything* can be resized, repositioned, or closed as you see fit.  That's just me though.

Overall, yes, there's some quirks here or there, but a lot of those a new player or less "serious" (not sure how to word that) player wouldn't even notice.  If I wasn't playing before 1.1, I wouldn't notice a lot of the things I consider "quirks".

Just my .02 funds.

Edited by Korvath85

Im having a blast with the stability of 64 bit. It feels good grabbing all mods i want. Got everything i need except Science Alert would be nice, but thats being worked. @magico13 put out a prerelease of KCT which is working well. Its friggen awesome to be able to have graphic mods, part packs, remote tech, life support, and a dozen other things and have no crashes. Cant wait for the little issues to be ironed out, but they havent been a huge headache. I dont use aircraft or rovers too much. Would be nice to play at 4k res without needing a magnifying glass to read the UI even scaled to 120%. Squads 1.1 update is awesome, im immensely grateful the put the work into getting us here. And thanks to all the modders who have been so quick to update everything. You all rock.

On 25/04/2016 at 9:17 AM, WaveFunctionP said:

Esc "means" close/cancel in UI language. Nothing wrong with it bring up a main esc menu when there's no other immediate context, the problem is that it ignores the most immediately obvious ones.

Strongly agree. I found the IVA "c" exit key really confusing when I started.

On 25/04/2016 at 9:17 AM, WaveFunctionP said:

F should put you on the ladder on the command pod, but the next press of f, not a separate button b, should enter the command pod. I know they separated the use verb from the board verb, but I think context makes it clear. I don't think the climb out if really needed. I know its different, but space already gives us the ability to leave a climb. And lets face it, uncontrolled animations feel bad. You never want to feel like you can't control your character, and IMO the dismount animation goes a bit too far over that line. The animation are part of why kerbals don't feel very unresponsive.

This I have to disagree with. You'll sometimes be mashing "f" in the hopes of grabbing a ladder that's spinning past or similar. It'd be really annoying it that meant boarding accidentally.

30 minutes ago, ringerc said:

Please tell me this includes a fix for the claw kraken? It's been messing up my plans for a giant orbiting asteroid base for ages...

klaw is actually a tad worse at the moment. Hopefully 1.1.1 tomorrow *crosses fingers*

overall though, I have been quite happy with 1.1 also and can't keep from playing.

11 hours ago, NikkyD said:

Its funny, on my side it's rather "aircraft and rovers on ice".

Unable to dock even using mech jeb etc.

Anyone else totally unable to dock? The docking port seems to be made of sponge as the two craft just push  thru the graphics of the port and then bounce. So I guess the collision box for physics is not behaving? Even tried this in sandbox using mechjeb and had the same result. (Mechjeb isnt work either btw lol)

Still seeing that sliding POV about where the physics change either in accent or deorbit. I should have recordered the one "loop" I went thru tonight. At about 65k and about 850ms the slide started. This one was doing these huge loops and showing the ap and pa as varying between 2500m and 159km. It was taking oh maybe 5 seconds for a loop and it only appeared to rotate within a few hundred meters radius at most. Was pretty funny (and annoying lol)

If anyone is not having this issue how many mods are you running if any? I wasn't having this issue for the first few days but then something changed. Just not sure a clean barebones wont have this issue.

TNX!

Encountered a bug last night. Re-entered a mk1 pod, passenger cabin, heat shield and some parachutes with a PE of ~30km. I've done this almost a dozen times with the same craft, the only difference is I've started going EVA on orbit. It just wouldn't slow down. By 15km it was still going over 2km/s. Normally I'd be under 500m/s on that re-entry profile. It was bizarre.

On 25/04/2016 at 2:17 AM, WaveFunctionP said:

Esc "means" close/cancel in UI language. Nothing wrong with it bring up a main esc menu when there's no other immediate context, the problem is that it ignores the most immediately obvious ones.

Esc in game context means pause and bring up menu and that needs to be a constantly available feature so in any context you can pause the game (ie when performing an IVA landing and your cat jumps on your desk).  The Pause button isn't a good option as some keyboards don't have a pause key and anyway, Esc as an in game key binding is a terrible choice in terms of its position away from your default hand position. 

10 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

The nav ball is bigger as an "enhancement" for not squadsPC version but CONSOLE which bugs me. Squad isnt handling console version... Worse imho is the new vertical placement of the icons on upper right. Wish i could move them

I've not seen any other comments about the new toolbar placement and I've been meaning to say something. I also don't like the horizontal placing, it really should be an option.  

The navball, UI scale and text issues were something that was reported early in the pre-release testing. #7525#7589 & #7589 

@katateochi if you ask me, there is 0 need for the PC version as developed by SQUAD and NOT flyingtiger or what ever is doing the CONSOLE version to affect the PC version. NONE. Why do we on PC need absurdly large UIs? Make that console only. and all UI item placements should be open to relocation by the player. I hate the new locations of the UI stuff, the resources, contracts thingy mabober is in a BAD spot and interferes with a mod. Please for the love of JEB let us have control over the items on our screens!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.