The Grand KSP 1.1 Discussion Thread

KasperVld

Wow, the change log for this is pretty big! Good going Squad, looks like quite a few things have been addressed! 

Thanks for adding the separate UI scaling....but what's with the fonts? Anything scaled under 90% and the font becomes pretty unreadable. Not that it's too small, it's that it becomes blurred and...I'm not even sure what the term is, parts of the letters seem faded while other parts of the same letter are clear.

I'm  finding that some aircraft which were perfectly stable in 1.1 now vear off on takeoff, and also had issues with the small landing gear breaking in situations where in 1.1 it didn't.

1 hour ago, smjjames said:

What OS do you guys use? I haven't had a crash and those two tools work fine for me.

Win 10 and I'd gotten pretty used to loading up KSP once in the morning and having KSP running all day. I'd occasionally get a crash changing scenes, but with 1.1 we're crashing every hour or so. Not a fan of the NEW NAVBALL.. it's a tad big, and scaling down the UI makes the text almost unread-ably small. I could go on, but I won't. I love KSP and have been playing since 0.18 and I'm not going to back out now. This is the only game I play so maybe every game is constantly a border dispute between features and stability..?

4 hours ago, Death Engineering said:

Win 10 and I'd gotten pretty used to loading up KSP once in the morning and having KSP running all day. I'd occasionally get a crash changing scenes, but with 1.1 we're crashing every hour or so. Not a fan of the NEW NAVBALL.. it's a tad big, and scaling down the UI makes the text almost unread-ably small. I could go on, but I won't. I love KSP and have been playing since 0.18 and I'm not going to back out now. This is the only game I play so maybe every game is constantly a border dispute between features and stability..?

Not every game is like that, but then there is no game like Kerbal Space Program. (At least, none I'm aware of)

1 hour ago, royying said:

can I use the Patcher to update 1.1.1?

I've just been testing exactly that. Looks like the patcher is back. :D

Only one trivial bug detected so far (wrong archive format on GNU/Linux), it's certainly worth a shot for the 286.99x smaller download.

Edited by steve_v
Use uninflated stock ratio.

Setting the navbal to 0.8 scaling makes it tolerable

I've been experimenting with rebuilds for my Enerstar jet-train project the big problem with that is any time I test and reload the hangar, it crashes because of the complexity.  So maybe it's not perfect yet.  The small landing gears seem to still break frequently but not as frequently?  I'm hoping that 1.1.1.1 fixes more of these issues.

Bugged wheels in 1.1.1

Hi all,

I have found a bug with the wheels and suspension. Wheels that will run fine will deactivate when the suspension is compressed all the way. Has anyone else noticed this?

Edited by Majorjim

36 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Bugged wheels in 1.1.1

Hi all,

I have found a bug with the wheels and suspension. Wheels that will run fine will deactivate when the suspension is compressed all the way. Has anyone else noticed this?

If a wheel gets too close to another part on the craft, by means of suspension travel, it will be disabled to prevent part collision / potential destruction. It's another manifestation of the "wheel clipping" bug, waiting on the next Unity engine update.  Nudging wheels or other parts in the editor, to give greater clearance around them, should help.

Just now, basic.syntax said:

If a wheel gets too close to another part on the craft, by means of suspension travel, it will be disabled to prevent part collision / potential destruction. It's another manifestation of the "wheel clipping" bug, waiting on the next Unity engine update.  Nudging wheels or other parts in the editor, to give greater clearance around them, should help.

Yeah I guess. I just did not see it in 1.1. Thanks man.

Why do wheels even check for collisions with other parts of the same craft? I thought the general behavior in KSP was that parts of a ship don't check for collisions with other parts attached to the same ship to prevent self-explosions while the ship is wobbling around. Why not just have the wheels ignore all other parts of the vessel (except for applying forces through the connection point, of course)?

2 minutes ago, Brotoro said:

Why do wheels even check for collisions with other parts of the same craft? I thought the general behavior in KSP was that parts of a ship don't check for collisions with other parts attached to the same ship to prevent self-explosions while the ship is wobbling around. Why not just have the wheels ignore all other parts of the vessel (except for applying forces through the connection point, of course)?

So you can dock a rover in a cargo bay and not have it fall through the floor, as I understand it.

24 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

So you can dock a rover in a cargo bay and not have it fall through the floor, as I understand it.

And if you have a rover docked in your cargo bay, are the wheels blocked because they are in contact with the floor of the bay? Why should it care about the interaction with the floor if the cargo bay until it is undocked and becomes a separate craft (at which point it can be settled onto the floor)? This seems like an edge case that is messing up all the rest of the world of rover usage. They can make a special exception for checking the interaction of wheels with the floor piece of a cargo bay if they want, as long as it solves the other problems to remove all other self interactions.

Edited by Brotoro

35 minutes ago, Brotoro said:

That is the default behavior for parts, but an issue in our current version of Unity does not allow us to ignore physics collisions on wheel colliders. So we move them to a harmless collision layer and disable them if they are near other parts. If not for wheel blocking, the resulting kraken would launch and/or destroy your vessel any time you loaded it up.

27 minutes ago, Arsonide said:

That is the default behavior for parts, but an issue in our current version of Unity does not allow us to ignore physics collisions on wheel colliders. So we move them to a harmless collision layer and disable them if they are near other parts. If not for wheel blocking, the resulting kraken would launch and/or destroy your vessel any time you loaded it up.

Thank you for the reply. Then this "issue in our current version of Unity" is now the bane of my existence, a thorn in my side, and the focus of my ire for having made me unhappy. Hopefully you can convince Unity to slay this demon.

But if you have to wait around for Unity to fix this issue... in the meantime you could increase my happiness by giving my kerbals surface refueling hoses. Please. Thank you.

43 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Has anyone had any issues with the small rover wheels breaking when docking to another rover?

When I docked a rover to a plane to refuel it, the rover went through a brief epileptic fit that resulted in blowing a few of its ruggedized tires. It wouldn't surprise me at all if a similar shudder would destroy the weaker small wheels.

23 minutes ago, Brotoro said:

When I docked a rover to a plane to refuel it, the rover went through a brief epileptic fit that resulted in blowing a few of its ruggedized tires. It wouldn't surprise me at all if a similar shudder would destroy the weaker small wheels.

It was odd, no shudder, no twitch, the ports are perfectly alligned yet the wheels break every time..

26 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

It was odd, no shudder, no twitch, the ports are perfectly alligned yet the wheels break every time..

It's possible that the combined mass of the rovers is messing with the small wheels when the vessel "reloads"

9 minutes ago, Brotoro said:

Oh, hey... The planets in the little "Loading" animation now revolve around properly in the counterclockwise direction. Good job, Squad.

T0CAMHJ.jpg

I did notice the existence of this bug previously, but never noticed it was fixed. I don't recall seeing it in a change-log, so Squad may have unknowingly fixed this when upgrading the UI to Unity 5, having been unaware of the issue in the first place.

Edited by LaytheDragon

any word at all when these blasted crashes to desktop are going to end? 1.0 was exceptionally stable. 1.1 and 1.1.1? not stable at all. also, whats up with the funky actions on the landing legs?

SQrLWJh.png

thats after 2 FULL MINUTES of full extension. why the odd angle on the feet?

side thought just because I read that planets rotation thing a few posts up: clockwise/counter clockwise rotation is relative to the angle at which you view the plane of rotation, as in, and this is ALSO relative lol, if you are "above a solar system" the planets go one way, whist if you are "below" they should seem to go the other way. but, to me, i think the planets on the loading screen always seemed to go anti-clock anyway lol.

side side thought, cuz i really need to stop saving my edits before i read anything else above me, to you, @Death Engineering ive not yet monkeyed with the "new" ui sliders, but, i hated the portrait sizes AND the nav ball size, if you run the games resolution to max, it shrinks it and everything still remains readable. hope that helps.

side side side thought: gonna leave this thread via my own name lol. yall take care now ya hear? <waves and dashes away>

Edited by AlamoVampire

4 hours ago, Brotoro said:

Oh, hey... The planets in the little "Loading" animation now revolve around properly in the counterclockwise direction. Good job, Squad.

T0CAMHJ.jpg

Was there an issue that the outer planets rotate faster than the inner ones?  I have not noticed if that has been fixed but will observe on the next KSP time.

Edited by MoeslyArmlis

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.