Do scientists have to be in cockpit for bonus research?

jpinard

If I put the scientist in the MK1 Crew cabin, when I run temperature, barometer scans etc will I still get 100% extra science?  Or does he actually have to be in a cockpit or command pod?

Thanks! :)

Edited by jpinard

4 hours ago, bewing said:

Have you actually seen scientists ever get 100% extra science? I never have. I don't think such a thing actually happens.

If you can say how to do it at all, then I will happily test it out.

Maybe I am misinterpreting what the scientist does?  It says +100% for science.  I assumed that meant they got double science.  But maybe it just means they can transmit science for no loss?

Ummmm. Exactly where are you reading that? I'd like to check it.

Basically a scientist does 3 things:

1) A scientist during EVA can reset the Mystery Goo and Materials bay experiments so that they can be reused.

2) A scientist during EVA can operate scientific experiments from outside the ship.

3) When a scientist is living inside a Mobile Processing Lab, the scientist can convert experiments into data, and data into science points. The speed at which the scientist works depends on his experience level -- very similar to how engineers operate drills at varying speeds according to their experience level. A one-star scientist works 100% faster than a zero-star scientist. But this only applies to scientists inside MPLs.

Other users have recently claimed that scientists have some kind of bonus when gathering experimental data, but every case that I've seen was proven wrong.

Scientist's DO get bonus science when leveled up (at least, they used to.haven't tested lately but haven't heard it changed) but no where near +100%. It's more like 1%-10%.

Are you sure it's not just saying that, because the scientist has not leveled up at all, you're getting 100% - aka normal returns?

According to the KSP wiki:

As of 1.0.5, scientists do not boost the amount of science gained from recovering experiments. They also provide no bonus from transmitting data, although the green text makes it look like they do. They can, however, increase the amount of science generated per day in the Mobile Processing Lab MPL-LG-2. As of 1.0, scientists are able to restore inoperable experiment modules while on EVA.

Each kerbonaut gets their first star for getting into orbit around Kerbin.

After that, each kerbonaut gets points for getting to other celestial bodies, getting into orbit around them, landing on them, and planting flags on them.

To get the second star, a scientist has to get to Minmus.

They can get up to 5 stars total.

14 minutes ago, jpinard said:

How do I level up my scientist if I've already collected all the biome data around kerbin?

Scientist do not level up by collecting science experiments...they level up like any over Kerbal - by just being in an extraordinary situation.
So just send them to plant a flag on the Mun and on Minmus, an send them on a highly elliptical orbit, that just barely escapes kerbin's sphere of influence(this is to get them in "solar orbit" for like 5minutes) -> thats Level 3 kerbals right there

* i always thought landing was equal to planting a flag(it's so easy once you're there...unless there is tylo/eve). But it is not...every kerbal must plant his own flag.

Order Celestial body Fly by
(XP)
Orbit
(XP)
Flight
(XP)
Land
(XP)
Plant flag
(XP)
XP
Multiplier
  Base Values 1 1.5 2 2.3 2.5
Center Kerbol 0 6 4
1 Moho 7 10.5 16.1 17.5 7
2 Eve 5 7.5 10 11.5 12.5 5
2.1 Gilly 6 9 13.8 15 6
3 Kerbin 1 2 1 0 0 1
3.1 Mun 2 3 4.6 5 2
3.2 Minmus 3 3.75 5.75 6.25 2.5
4 Duna 5 7.5 10 11.5 12.5 5
4.1 Ike 5 7.5 11.5 12.5 5
5 Dres 6 9 13.8 15 6
6 Jool 6 9 12 6
6.1 Laythe 8 12 16 18.4 20 8
6.2 Vall 8 12 18.4 20 8
6.3 Tylo 8 12 18.4 20 8
6.4 Bop 8 12 18.4 20 8
6.5 Pol 8 12 18.4 20 8
7 Eeloo 10 15 23 25 10
Level XP Required Total XP
0 0 0
1 2 2
2 6 8
3 8 16
4 16 32
5 32 64

stolen from: http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Experience

Edited by Blaarkies

3 hours ago, jpinard said:

Maybe I am misinterpreting what the scientist does?  It says +100% for science.  I assumed that meant they got double science.  But maybe it just means they can transmit science for no loss?

They used to have a bonus, but that's obsolete information now.  The bonus is gone.  Mind you, scientists are now even more powerful..

3 hours ago, bewing said:

Ummmm. Exactly where are you reading that? I'd like to check it.

In the Astronaut Complex.  It was commented on during the pre-release...

On 4/21/2016 at 4:07 AM, Rocket In My Pocket said:

According to the KSP wiki:

As of 1.0.5, scientists do not boost the amount of science gained from recovering experiments. They also provide no bonus from transmitting data, although the green text makes it look like they do. They can, however, increase the amount of science generated per day in the Mobile Processing Lab MPL-LG-2. As of 1.0, scientists are able to restore inoperable experiment modules while on EVA.

Even though the descriptions in the astronaut building still said they did....

It does make more sense to have the bonus apply when just in the MPL. Merely having them along on science-gathering missions and the science being boosted from just that does seem rather OP.  But you do get the added bonus of being able to reuse experimental modules when you want to gather and store the data or transmit it, which does increase your total potential science for a mission.

On 4/23/2016 at 4:32 AM, samstarman5 said:

It does make more sense to have the bonus apply when just in the MPL. Merely having them along on science-gathering missions and the science being boosted from just that does seem rather OP.  But you do get the added bonus of being able to reuse experimental modules when you want to gather and store the data or transmit it, which does increase your total potential science for a mission.

I found that using the MPL is a surefire way to completely destroy any sentiment in a career save...it's like an addiction that eats away the fun in the end :P

It was cool to have an MPL on interplanetary ships, but I completely ignore it now, never to be used...I even go as far as to disable science rewards from all contracts

7 hours ago, Blaarkies said:

I found that using the MPL is a surefire way to completely destroy any sentiment in a career save...it's like an addiction that eats away the fun in the end :P

It was cool to have an MPL on interplanetary ships, but I completely ignore it now, never to be used...I even go as far as to disable science rewards from all contracts

Everyone does have their own approach to building science.  I am rather greedy myself and like to get to the better parts sooner, but I do trade it off by having to earn the funds to be able to use them.  The prices of them rockets do go up.

On 4/24/2016 at 4:41 AM, Blaarkies said:

Are you saying it got so easy the game lost its fun?  Or that it was an annoying OCD kind of thing?

On 4/24/2016 at 1:41 AM, Blaarkies said:

Until you get something like CTT with a dozen nodes requiring thousands of science points each.

10 hours ago, jpinard said:

Are you saying it got so easy the game lost its fun?  Or that it was an annoying OCD kind of thing?

No certainly not. It was the coolest challenge to get a "solar-plated" MPL up into Kerbin orbit, using BACCs and a terrier because I was still at the 18t Launch pad limit. But once I got it there, I started spamming EVA reports into it...for infinite science. That is really the part that bothers me, no one should have infinite of anything(i know it's not infinite, but inf vs 9000sci+... it doesn't matter anymore)

The contracts on the other hand, just keep popping up with more rewards. So I started limiting myself to only select a single "collect science from space around X" contract(1 for Kerbin, 1 for Mun, etc.). The same thing for flag spamming contracts...but almost all contracts give science rewards, but I only really want the funds.

But no, no OCD. I just go for the easiest/efficient science...but the above quickly destroys gameplay. So with 1.1, I started a hard settings career, but adjusted all rewards to 10%. No MPL, no contract sci...Every launch was insanely nerve wracking, but I got into orbit at least. The jump to Mun grade-tech was too big for me(needed more science than everything I collected at that point). So I gave up and opted for a 30% version of such career...best thing ever! I'm working on a shoe-string budget to send my first Duna/Eve probes, Kerbals are worth more than the entire spaceprogram since their death will completely obliterate my rep

7 hours ago, FancyMouse said:

Until you get something like CTT with a dozen nodes requiring thousands of science points each.

I haven't done much with the Community Tech Tree yet, but I believe I will still attempt to finish it with no MPL...because I find it silly to NOT put an MPL next to KSC an synthesize science points(that why my I vow to never use it:sealed:). I found these figures:
All Science in the Universe
-398,075.1 potential points
~392,019.3 from experiments
~6055.8 from recovered ships
~Experiments: 11
~Subjects: 884
~Subjects on Biomes: 493
~Total Biomes: 109

That made me realise, that even 10% of that is more than enough...but maybe not in CTT though:blush:

and remember, all Science is precious :wink:

On 21/04/2016 at 0:18 PM, bewing said:

Each kerbonaut gets their first star for getting into orbit around Kerbin.

After that, each kerbonaut gets points for getting to other celestial bodies, getting into orbit around them, landing on them, and planting flags on them.

To get the second star, a scientist has to get to Minmus.

They can get up to 5 stars total.

This is not true.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.