Steam achievements

I'm fairly certain you have rules somewhere against talking about steam achievements, but I have to ask.

I just saw a Facebook post from official ksp, showing something from flying tiger and it mentioned ps4 trophies and xbox1 achievements. Well those ever come to the pc version? Google tells me this was mentioned as a possibility by squad in January. I'm just looking for my pointless videogame points here.

Just looking for official word, of there was a concrete announcement and I missed it, my apologies. Been out of the loop a bit here.

Not planned or shelved

The following features have either been confirmed or suggested to not be in the official game, or have otherwise been paused or shelved due to scope changes or other considerations. A few, such as autopilot systems, weapons, and realistically-sized celestial bodies are already available via mods.

• Steam achievements[25]

Straight from the wiki my friend. That sucks.

The wiki has precisely zero 100% reliable information when it comes to planned features, especially from a previous project manager, and that list should really just be deleted.  Plans can and do change, and with achievements being put into console you may see them ported to Steam.

I'm looking forward to more Store-buyer tears and claims of "WE GAVE SQUAD MORE".

Edited by regex

I did not find evidence of a decision being made. I think Squad has been busy with other things. it was required for console, it had to get done there. Players wrote opinions on adding Achievements in this devnote Tuesday (Jan 12).

Work on our upcoming console releases has continued strongly as well, and Dan (danRosas) has been busy making graphics for an achievement system. We’re looking into the possibility of porting that over to the current platforms as well.

And Norpo started a poll.

1 hour ago, jwenting said:

KSP luckily doesn't have that.

You need better bait my friend. Besides this is not the thread for arguing about how I think you are wrong and steam integration would be a great thing. All I want to know is if Steam KSP will have the same achievements as PS4 and XB1 KSP will have, as Flying Tiger have confirmed they will have acheivments

Edited by r4pt0r

7 hours ago, razark said:

Why?

I haven't found what I recall reading... so I tried looking for info on the PS4 cert process, but the best source of detailed info is locked.  I did find this on IGN, which says paid games must support the Trophy system.  This site which collects info on lots of games - does not have a list, yet.

1 hour ago, basic.syntax said:

I did find this on IGN, which says paid games must support the Trophy system.

I see.  Thanks for the info.  It both answers and doesn't answer my question.

So there's achievements because Sony says there have to be.  But still, why?  I just don't get it.  Is it some silly thing to hook players into spending more time on the games because of the psychological "must get another reward" effect?  What does Sony get out of decreeing something to keep players playing the same game?

I also don't get the draw for players to have achievements in a game.  I don't see how it adds much of anything to it.

Edited by razark

I got the clean hands achievement on dishonored, that was a rewarding challenge. I showed my buddies. Yeah, it's about as useless as getting the "I voted today" stickers when you go vote, but if I leave the voting area without one of those stickers, then I'm leaving disappointed.

Also ps4 shows you how many other player's have gotten a particular achievement, and seeing I'm part of the 1% of players who beat a particular mission in alien isolation without failing once is kinda neat.

Edited by r4pt0r

I have no need for these pre-determined achievements. I pay no attention to the 32 things I don't have to my name on various steam games, that's not why I chose to play X, and they don't motivate me unless the gameplay inherent in an activity is something I find interesting.

Took a look at the wiki... hard job there. I like having a source of historical data, things proposed that didn't make it. Some of the stuff said in Squadcast may get lost if not permanently archived in some way, twitch doesn't keep videos forever. Props to the volunteer text transcribers :)

Squad also has a (nice!) habit of delivering small fun features seemingly at the last minute, that (I don't remember seeing) "on the plan" lol.  I'm thinking of rocket blast ground effects, and IVA cut-away view.

That last one is a big deal for players who don't spend much time in IVA; with this feature all the hours spent in design of custom IVA's are no longer "wasted" and the artistry can be enjoyed by all.

Edited by basic.syntax

2 hours ago, SpaceKraken said:

Who needs Steam achievements? I want Steam Workshop.

Ability to download and install crafts, mods, and other stuff in one click... ah...

There is something even better: CKAN

But I agree, who needs achievements in KSP. If you need achievement to keep the game exciting for you you didn't get the idea of what the game is about.

I may be one of the few, but i actually dont want any steam integration since i play KSP offline (i bought it via steam but i never actually run steam unless for updating).  Hate any games that arent multiplayer only and cant run without steam there eating resources.

As for achievements, if it can be done without breaking my ability to copy the KSP directory to some other location then by all means add steam achievements.  That said, given im one that never cared about some achievements as i enjoy the game for what it is, so please dont bother if it will take time away from bugfixes (which are really badly needed imo).

13 minutes ago, panzer1b said:

I may be one of the few, but i actually dont want any steam integration since i play KSP offline (i bought it via steam but i never actually run steam unless for updating).  Hate any games that arent multiplayer only and cant run without steam there eating resources.

KSP is not multi-player only (in fact, it's not multiplayer at all). So why play it if you hate it?

1 minute ago, Kerbart said:

KSP is not multi-player only (in fact, it's not multiplayer at all). So why play it if you hate it?

What i was referring to is not that i hate non-multiplayer games.

What i do hate are games that are both not exclusively multiplayer, AND REQUIRE STEAM to run.  That is my issue really.  For a game thats exclusively MP i dont mind using steam (as i have to have internet online anyways to play them.  But for anything that is either a entirely singleplayer game, or has some sort of singleplayer conponents to it id rather be able to run it offline without resorting to hacking the game's executable to disconnect it from steam...

I'm all for achievements. Just not Steam ones.

Even after getting KSP on Steam, I have no desire to actually RUN it from Steam. I've played 1.1 for probably 100 hours now counting pre-release, and my Steam time is...

Launches Steam to check

...less than 2 hours. All of that confirming something is either working or buggy in full-on stock.

Edited by 5thHorseman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.