[1.12.x] The Malemute Rover

RoverDude

Hey all

So I know RoverDude does things on for a reason, and RoverDude you make really good mods, which I have been following most likely from the beginning. Any how, the only problem I have with the Malemute rover is the lab, it says it's a lab but there is no lab in it... and for some reason my OCD decided that it bothered me... 

So I have made a wonderful MM for this, for anyone else it bothers. (which could be just me...:confused:)

Spoiler

@PART[Malemute_RoverScienceLab]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleScienceLab
		containerModuleIndex = 0
		dataStorage = 750
		crewsRequired = 1
		canResetConnectedModules = True
		canResetNearbyModules = True
		interactionRange = 5
		SurfaceBonus = 0.1
		ContextBonus = 0.25
		homeworldMultiplier = 0.1
		RESOURCE_PROCESS
		{
			name = ElectricCharge
			amount = 10
		}
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleScienceConverter
		dataProcessingMultiplier = 0.5 // Multiplier to data processing rate and therefore science rate
		scientistBonus = 0.25	//Bonus per scientist star - need at least one! So 0.25x - 2.5x 
		researchTime = 7	    //Larger = slower.  Exponential!
		scienceMultiplier = 5	//How much science does data turn into?
		scienceCap = 500	    //How much science can we store before having to transmit?		
		powerRequirement = 5	//EC/Sec to research
		ConverterName = Research
		StartActionName = Start Research
		StopActionName = Stop Research
	}
}

7 minutes ago, Seeker89 said:

Hey all

So I know RoverDude does things on for a reason, and RoverDude you make really good mods, which I have been following most likely from the beginning. Any how, the only problem I have with the Malemute rover is the lab, it says it's a lab but there is no lab in it... and for some reason my OCD decided that it bothered me... 

So I have made a wonderful MM for this, for anyone else it bothers. (which could be just me...:confused:)

Reveal hidden contents

@PART[Malemute_RoverScienceLab]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleScienceLab
		containerModuleIndex = 0
		dataStorage = 750
		crewsRequired = 1
		canResetConnectedModules = True
		canResetNearbyModules = True
		interactionRange = 5
		SurfaceBonus = 0.1
		ContextBonus = 0.25
		homeworldMultiplier = 0.1
		RESOURCE_PROCESS
		{
			name = ElectricCharge
			amount = 10
		}
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleScienceConverter
		dataProcessingMultiplier = 0.5 // Multiplier to data processing rate and therefore science rate
		scientistBonus = 0.25	//Bonus per scientist star - need at least one! So 0.25x - 2.5x 
		researchTime = 7	    //Larger = slower.  Exponential!
		scienceMultiplier = 5	//How much science does data turn into?
		scienceCap = 500	    //How much science can we store before having to transmit?		
		powerRequirement = 5	//EC/Sec to research
		ConverterName = Research
		StartActionName = Start Research
		StopActionName = Stop Research
	}
}

It's possible that it is an oversight.  Maybe create a github issue as well?  There's only about 1290 files in the USI constellation.

i make mine a science lab for cruising around the ksc and doing science. i changed mine to atmosphere analysis instead and added a relay antenna so my eva kerbals can xmit science to it or back to ksc. using the karibou wheels makes a pretty good lift kit for it too.

oh and the new filter extensions are nuking your colonization and rover tabs in the part editor. 

Edited by COL.R.Neville

Hi RoverDude.

Not sure whether anyone else has mentioned it, but I just got a rescue contract where the kerbal was stuck in a Malemute Crew Cab, which doesn't have a eva hatch.

I'm using the latest version from ckan 0.2.1.0.

Thanks for your work modding KSP.

13 minutes ago, AVaughan said:

Hi RoverDude.

Not sure whether anyone else has mentioned it, but I just got a rescue contract where the kerbal was stuck in a Malemute Crew Cab, which doesn't have a eva hatch.

I'm using the latest version from ckan 0.2.1.0.

Thanks for your work modding KSP.

Was it intentional that the Malemute be two tiers higher in the tech tree vs the Karibou?

If so, may I ask the reasoning behind it?  I would have expected the smaller rover to be lower in the tree, but I haven't had a chance to learn all the differences between them.

On 10/23/2016 at 10:29 AM, Baladain said:

Was it intentional that the Malemute be two tiers higher in the tech tree vs the Karibou?

If so, may I ask the reasoning behind it?  I would have expected the smaller rover to be lower in the tree, but I haven't had a chance to learn all the differences between them.

I think the idea is that minituarized parts are more advanced. 

4 hours ago, Tarheel1999 said:

I think the idea is that minituarized parts are more advanced. 

Also I think this is a bit more 'designed' for a rover - the Karibou more looks like someone took spaceship parts and adapted them to carry wheels.  :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

Hey @RoverDude how would i modify this module 

Spoiler

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleWheelDeployment
        baseModuleIndex = 0
        animationTrfName = RoverWheel
        animationStateName = StowRoverWheels
        deployedPosition = 0
        deployTargetTransformName = deployTgt        
        TsubSys = 1.0
        useStandInCollider = True
        slaveModules = 8
    }    

to allow the wheel's motor to drive while retracted?  Its a pain to drive the rover out of a Mk3 bay because of this.

• 2 weeks later...

Issues with Malemute geology lab and scanners.

I can't seem to find a way to view hydrates/substrate/water/gypsum on the surface.  Am I missing a part, or doing something wrong?

Image of rover with issues below.

both stock scanners and all three scansat modules are in orbit and working. Network is connected, and science transmit is possible.

Spoiler

pGxxE2Y.png

Edited by Baladain

37 minutes ago, spacegardener said:

I also have problem with making the geology lab work. It only shows ore concentration and refuses to connect to Kerbnet. Are we missing something or is that a bug?

I just added a narrow band scanner to my Malemute, and now I can access kerbnet.  That would seem to confirm it's a bug.

On 12/3/2016 at 3:42 PM, spacegardener said:

I also have problem with making the geology lab work. It only shows ore concentration and refuses to connect to Kerbnet. Are we missing something or is that a bug?

I was messing around with the config files and I think I found a fix...

To get it to work with Kerbnet, I changed the following:

1) In the module ModuleResourceScanner, I changed RequiresUnlock to false

2) Comparing against Squad's narrow-band scanner's config, I copied the "ModuleAnimationGroup" and only changed it to empty the activateAnimationName property:

MODULE
{
	name = ModuleAnimationGroup
	deployAnimationName = 
	activeAnimationName = 
	deployActionName = Activate
	retractActionName = Deactivate
	moduleType = Scanner
}

Note that I didn't test each change individually, as based on the time to load the game and test, I tried the two changes together. But, what I found this did change is that in the lab's action menu, there was now the option to activate the scanner, and that brought Kerbnet online to show resources.

Additionally, for the antenna (which I was also having a problem with):

I had replaced the ModuleDataTransmitter module with that from Squad's "HG-5 High Gain Antenna", but that still didn't get it to work. Then I found to comment out all the code in AntennaRange.cfg & RemoteTech_support_for_GeoLab_Antenna.cfg (in the Mod_Compatablity folder). (Again, I did both these changes together and didn't test individually.)

This worked, and I figured I was having a problem with it because in my game I'm using the parts from RemoteTech (I tweaked the configs copying Squad's ModuleDataTransmitter settings & adjusting for values I felt appropriate for balance) but without using the rest of RemoteTech.

So, those are my two fixes that worked for me.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with KerbNet in the geology lab actually seems to be the RequiresAnimation property in ModuleKerbNetAccess: it's set to true, which I guess means that an animation must be running (like the narrow-band scanner's rotation) for KerbNet to work.  Adding a dummy ModuleAnimationGroup with no animation may be a workaround, but it's simpler to just turn off the RequiresAnimation flag.

Here's a little ModuleManager patch that makes KerbNet work on the geology lab for me:

@PART[Malemute_RoverScienceLab]:AFTER[UmbraSpaceIndustries]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleKerbNetAccess]
	{
		@RequiresAnimation = False
	}
}

The antenna works fine for me, btw — at least, for transmitting a crew report from the runway.  (I haven't tested it anywhere else.)

6 hours ago, Wyzard said:

The problem with KerbNet in the geology lab actually seems to be the RequiresAnimation property in ModuleKerbNetAccess: it's set to true, which I guess means that an animation must be running (like the narrow-band scanner's rotation) for KerbNet to work.  Adding a dummy ModuleAnimationGroup with no animation may be a workaround, but it's simpler to just turn off the RequiresAnimation flag.

Here's a little ModuleManager patch that makes KerbNet work on the geology lab for me:

@PART[Malemute_RoverScienceLab]:AFTER[UmbraSpaceIndustries]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleKerbNetAccess]
	{
		@RequiresAnimation = False
	}
}

The antenna works fine for me, btw — at least, for transmitting a crew report from the runway.  (I haven't tested it anywhere else.)

I've had no trouble with the antenna from Mun or Minmus.

@RoverDude will likely appreciate it if you can add this code to a pull request on github.

Just a small comment to add @RoverDude about the malamute vs the karibou, the Karibou unlocks at a 550 science tier in the ctt, but the smaller malamute requires 1000 science to unlock. Is this intentional? As in, is the malamute meant to be a much more advanced but smaller rover. I'd change the cfg myself but the last time i messed around with ctt cfgs I seem to remember getting massively confused.

Sorry just seen the question has already been asked on this page *facepalm*

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.