Journey to Dres

14 hours ago, KerbalOmmex said:

Journey to Jool? 

I already have Journey to Dres, and plus, a lot of people name there Jool Mission reports "Journey to Jool" 

20 minutes ago, RocketSquid said:

I think that pretty soon your Dres mission will outweigh Dres.

Yep. Then Dres will become a binary system with an artificial moon called "The Dres Love Star" with a big laser that can destroy any planets with Dres haters on it.

But I don't really want an artificial moon around Dres. We must dump stuff overboard! Open the bay doors, Gerty!

Gerty: I'm sorry Max, I'm afraid I can't do that. 

What? Why Gerty? 

Gerty: Error #2001: Cannot open bay doors when already open/Cannot close bay doors when already closed. 

Oh.

2 hours ago, max_creative said:

But I don't really want an artificial moon around Dres. We must dump stuff overboard! Open the bay doors, Gerty!

If you have enough mining equipment, you could dig large, spaceship shaped holes in the surface and bury your mission, providing an instant, nuclear powered Dres base. You would still need to keep one or two of them around to return home though. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to come back with MOAR.

On June 17, 2016 at 3:09 PM, RocketSquid said:

If you have enough mining equipment, you could dig large, spaceship shaped holes in the surface and bury your mission, providing an instant, nuclear powered Dres base. You would still need to keep one or two of them around to return home though. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to come back with MOAR.

But then I would turn Dres into a giant nuke! And that would be bad. 

And today and maybe tomorrow I going to be building and testing the Infinity, which will be the biggest ship yet, and will stop at Dres, then go interstellar! Guess where it's (probably) going! (It's about 50 light years away)

The Infinity, fully fueled without any craft inside it almost weighs 7000 tons, and is about 1/2 as tall as the vab without a rocket. It has approximately 550 parts with no other craft aboard. It also lags really bad.

Any advice for launching it? I can break it up into two pieces, but I hate multi-port docking, and plus I heard that multi-port docking doesn't work in 1.1.0. Just add moar boosters would be the solution?

hi hi

Do you launch the Infinity while it is fully fueled?  When I have interplanetary ships that start to get cumbersome on liftoff, I try to launch them with empty fuel tanks, then send a mission or two to fill them up before I make my ejection burn.  Or at least, I empty the fuel tanks enough that I can get them into a stable parking orbit, then send in the tankers.

Although, to be fair, my tankers usually only carry 300 tons of fuel a piece, so a 7000 ton vessel might require more than a couple.  I'm not quite sure how to make them much larger before they start to get cumbersome to dock.

On June 24, 2016 at 6:05 PM, max_creative said:

The Infinity, fully fueled without any craft inside it almost weighs 7000 tons, and is about 1/2 as tall as the vab without a rocket. It has approximately 550 parts with no other craft aboard. It also lags really bad.

Any advice for launching it? I can break it up into two pieces, but I hate multi-port docking, and plus I heard that multi-port docking doesn't work in 1.1.0. Just add moar boosters would be the solution?

I would respectfully point out that if you're running vanilla, you can update to 1.1.3 that came out around a week ago. Multidocking works there (or so I heard). I'm still in 1.1.2 for most of my missions since most of the mods I have installed aren't updated yet. If you have 1.1.2, I would respectfully recommend that you download one simple mod called "EVA struts" that adds one simple part: a modified EAS strut that allows you to place a root for a strut you can setup while on EVA. Super simple, no effect on frame rate, no dependencies, and the piece has the same exact graphical model as the stock one.

Really looking forward to the next chapter as I plan my own massive Dres mission!

We all love Dres!!!:sticktongue:

Edited by Mycroft

20 hours ago, icekatze said:

Do you launch the Infinity while it is fully fueled? 

No. :) 

19 hours ago, Mycroft said:

I would respectfully point out that if you're running vanilla, you can update to 1.1.3 that came out around a week ago. Multidocking works there (or so I heard). I'm still in 1.1.2 for most of my missions since most of the mods I have installed aren't updated yet. If you have 1.1.2, I would respectfully recommend that you download one simple mod called "EVA struts" that adds one simple part: a modified EAS strut that allows you to place a root for a strut you can setup while on EVA. Super simple, no effect on frame rate, no dependencies, and the piece has the same exact graphical model as the stock one.

Really looking forward to the next chapter as I plan my own massive Dres mission!

We all love Dres!!!:sticktongue:

Uhh... About that... The infinity kinda broke my save... I blame the fact that it's half a kilometer tall. So I got 1.1.3, and it's awesome! I'm currently hunting for a magic boulder... 1.1.0 was getting laggy anyways.

I have redesigned and improved most of my ships, and learned lessons from them to creat new amazing crafts! Soon we shall enter a new great age of space exploration!

20 hours ago, max_creative said:

No.

To be exact, I remove all the oxidizer and monopropellant. Because this doesn't land on its side, I don't need oxidizer for radial engines. Because all my craft must be able to land on Dres, I have some skippers for TWR boost. It can get to, land, and refuel on Minmus without oxidizer. 

20 hours ago, max_creative said:

Soon we shall enter a new great age of space exploration!

...In about 1-2 hours... Or if I don't have time today, tomorrow. But probably today. :)

21 hours ago, max_creative said:

I have redesigned and improved most of my ships, and learned lessons from them to creat new amazing crafts! Soon we shall enter a new great age of space exploration!

I found a green one.... and you'll be happy to know it was around Dres  :wink:

2fI8IFL.png

7 minutes ago, max_creative said:

I spent 3 days chasing asteroids and still haven't found one! I really hope I find one back at Dres...

I won't lie, I used HyperEdit to find it.  It was maybe the 8th or 9th I checked out.

15 minutes ago, electricpants said:

You should move it back to it's rightful place around Ike, like Scott Manley did in one of his recent videos! :wink:

Right now I need it for my Emiko story.  After... if... that's ever over, I may put it over Ike.

3 hours ago, Just Jim said:

I won't lie, I used HyperEdit to find it.  It was maybe the 8th or 9th I checked out.

I know. Isn't it a 1/22 chance or something like that? Or 1/28? Hmm...

Also, bad news. I broke 1.1.3 and now half the vab is gone. And I can't build stuff. And I can't see the stock craft. And the scenarios and training are gone. But...

GOOD NEWS!!! I FIXED MY SAVE!!! :D I didn't get anything useful done though...

Chapter 10: Were back bacc!

Gene: The Mint is designed to help project ice cream study and design interstellar craft! 

Bill: it is also definitely not safe! 

1wt46fz.jpg 

Mirena: Yay! 

http://i.imgur.com/DuHGBZX.jpg 

Gusnard: This is extremely unsafe cousin! 

Gus: Bill designed it. 

Bill: Blam Gus if it explodes! 

Gus: Well you designed it! 

Bill: well you... 

eozmLFj.jpg 

Crew: hey look at the wall! 

Me: you realize that I can see you in there. I just turned internal overlay on. 

eV5ABMX.jpg 

Bobak: Beginning gravity turn. Gerty is on vacation this week. 

Jeb: Too bad Gerty will miss the fireworks! 

Bill and Gus: OK! WHAT ARE YOU DOING OVER THERE IN THE VAB WITH ALL THOSE SOLID ROCKET BOOSTERS?!? 

YIxWhGm.jpg 

*blam!* 

Crew: AAAAAAAAAA! 

Gene: revert. 

NBvn3Fs.jpg 

Me: one step ahead of you. 

Gus: Trident One ready to launch after this!

End of chapter 10!

Project Ice Cream is designed to make interstellar travel possible! Almost done designing the Voyager 1! It has two Mints, a Brick, and the main ship with the hyperdrive. Also, my computer hates it. :rolleyes: It also has a big fridge in the main hab to fill up with ice cream for the long trip!

30 minutes ago, max_creative said:

Progress update! 

Development of the Voyager is coming along well... 

...or not... 

The Voyager is still not big enough! Moar!

Did you just take out your launch pad?  Awesome!  Moar Boosters!  :D

12 hours ago, max_creative said:

The Voyager is still not big enough! Moar!

You're missing something.... I know! SLS BOOSTERS! They've been tested by NASA recently and will give the Voyager a good kick for 2 minutes.

6 hours ago, KerbalOmmex said:

You're missing something.... I know! SLS BOOSTERS! They've been tested by NASA recently and will give the Voyager a good kick for 2 minutes.

Already tried that. 18 SLS boosters isn't enough. And they tend to impact the main stack of boosters on separation.

Update! 

l9zFkoI.jpg  

L7pPGR3.jpg 

Someone found a weird thing at Tut-An-Jeb-An's tomb... Use of these may be required... 

Also, She will be commanding the first ever interstellar trip, so... 

Interlude 10.1: The tale of Miphie Kerman!

Yes, I know this sounds like something by @Just Jim

bU9EF5J.jpg 

Miphie: wha? huh? 

*thunk!* 

bU9EF5J.jpg 

Miphie: Ow! What? Where am I? 

Miphie: Oh yeah... Now I remember! Before chapter 1, I was testing the very first Watney! The goal was to stay on the VAB for 2 months to test the life support. The my crew mates abandoned me and left... Hmmm...

Miphie: Well, it's been 15 days. I guess I'll just recover. 

One lift off and relanding later... 

bU9EF5J.jpg 

Miphie: Yes! Not bad for "just a random scientist." 

rdRxiOc.jpg 

Miphie: Gus! Recover it! 

Gus: got it! 

Miphie: MIPHIE IS BACK BACC EVERYONE!!! 

Gene: the fireworks will start as soon as the VAB is repaired! 

End of interlude 10.1! 

Yes, I know I said the fireworks would be earlier. Fireworks in Year 2!

Chapter 11: Mint II! 

Gus: Mint II ready! 

Val 9000: And the pad didn't collapse yet!

Gus: Who's that? 

Gene: It's just Gerty. People were complaining about how many rovers Gerty has crashed. So we decided on a "rename Gerty" contest for the readers. Until then, we just decided to call Gerty Val 9000. Linus pointed out that we have never had a bay doors problem. 

Gus: Ah. Ok. 

Val 9000: I've only crashed 126 rovers! 

Gus: ...

Me: I haven't crashed that many. Or even driven that many. Or even crashed into a Mun irsu base. 

Gus: ... 

Gene: The launch! 

Gus: Oh yeah!

ImVWJgH.jpg 

Gene: Ignition! 

*Space* 

nnOPTKg.jpg 

Crew: I think we're going up! 

Gene: nope. 

pwM7dVr.jpg 

Crew: Fireworks! 

Gene: don't tell Mort when he gets bacc. Revert! 

9f0RI7u.jpg 

*14 boosters, 15 minutes, and half a ton of struts later...* 

IpyobIu.jpg 

Miphie: Going up! 

Magelle: Wheee! 

aDTQqpe.jpg 

Magelle: This... 

dyfoqE2.jpg 

Magelle: ...Is... 

bSJ2Teo.jpg 

Magelle: ...Slow! 

Will: Yes it is... 

LqGEDH2.jpg 

Miphie: We are going really slow... And using up fuel too fast! 

Will: Hmm... 

Gus: Got it. Moar boosters! 

Me: Revert in 3... 2... 1... 

End of chapter 11! 

Rename Gerty contest! Or if there aren't any good names I guess I will just keep it as Gerty.

Also tell Gerty to go bacc to driving school...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.