Journey to Dres

3 hours ago, Spaceception said:

I know, I'm just wondering what it has to do with this story

The Watney is a type of cruiser. It was originally the I-don't-know-what-this-is class cruiser, but during tests I got a bunch stuck in orbit around Duna so I renamed it the Watney. Still doesn't have potatos onboard though. 

I also have a ton of other cruisers in storage, including the +Watney and Watney More Boosters. The Watney is mostly retired from service, the last one to ever be launched was probably the one in chapter 1. In a few chapters (after The 3 Weirdness and stuff class cruisers are in solar orbit) I might launch a few +Watneys though. 

On June 8, 2016 at 11:24 AM, superstrijder15 said:

Happy Birthday @max_creative!

Thanks! Although that was a while ago... 

Also, to the readers: This is 100% NOT dead, it's just that this week has been kinda crazy. Expect a new chapter tomorrow. Also, I have a question for everyone! I want to know if I should start an Eve mission, or go to Jool soon. I'm thinking of starting another mission soon. This will not interfere with journey to Dres.

10 hours ago, max_creative said:

Thanks! Although that was a while ago... 

Also, to the readers: This is 100% NOT dead, it's just that this week has been kinda crazy. Expect a new chapter tomorrow. Also, I have a question for everyone! I want to know if I should start an Eve mission, or go to Jool soon. I'm thinking of starting another mission soon. This will not interfere with journey to Dres.

If you have OPM installed, you can do a Cassini-like mission. Then you get an Eve mission, a Jool mission, and a Sarnus mission all in one! EKKJ, EEKJ, KJ, J, K are my recommended gravity assists.

14 hours ago, Interplanet Janet said:

If you have OPM installed, you can do a Cassini-like mission. Then you get an Eve mission, a Jool mission, and a Sarnus mission all in one! EKKJ, EEKJ, KJ, J, K are my recommended gravity assists.

I don't have any mods or plugins right now. I'm considering two though. OPM and hanger extender. 

Also guys, I got one launch done today. (And one big explosion)

Chapter 8-I have no idea what I am doing. 

Gene: the weird stuff is here! Haisan, can you fly this? 

Haisan: does it explode? 

Gene: Oh great... Why did we pick her again? 

*Gerty on the main mission control screen shows "IDK" in big letters* 

Gene: *Facepalm* 

kg1V6n5.jpg 

Haisan: Wee! This wobble is fun! 

Bobak: T-10... 9... 8... 

Haisan: *T* *Z* *SPACE* 

Gene: No, WAIT!!! 

*Gerty shows meme that says: Want to go to space? Just press SPACE* 

6ARfNPt.jpg 

Haisan: Weeeee! Big boosters makes lots of smoke! 

Gene: We really had to pick the stupidest astronaut?!? 

Bill: Maybe... 

UEf7M5B.jpg 

Haisan: ooo! Shiny triangle! 

Val: Oh hey, the rover survived! 

Aqb1aGC.jpg 

Bob: Wait guys! We forgot the politicians in the fancy suits we were going to dump at the old Mun base! 

Gene: to late now. How about the +Watney launch? 

Gus: not enough space. 

uNaOKbk.jpg 

Haisan: ooo! I've never seen trees! 

Bill: Really? max turned on ground scatter a looooong time ago. 

ambMTSI.jpg 

Haisan: 1.5 gees! Fun! 

t8hXCCA.jpg 

Jeb: Blowing up 1st stage! 

Bobak: we lots 2 engines! Gerty! Ship report! 

Gerty: Destroyed engines are opposite each other. It will not be a thrust problem. 

Gene: Abort to orbit. We need to do an eva to check out the ship safety. 

b6XGLDk.jpg 

Haisan: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! 

Gene: maybe we should name it the "KSS AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!" 

GZdc2WD.jpg 

Bobak: Restaging. LV-N's activate. Storage bays open, radiators deployed. 

Haisan: AAAAAAA- 

Gerty: I have set the sound filter to recognize screaming as profanity and therefore have the radio not let us hear it. 

Gene: nice! 

Walt: can you filter that out during all launchs? I don't think the readers like that many A's. 

fhXQOO6.jpg 

Haisan: Why did you turn the radio off?!? 

Walt: it's annoying and the readers don't like it. 

Haisan: WHAAAAAA- 

Gene: Is there anyway to +rep Gerty? 

Walt: I don't think so. 

Gerty: it's ok. 

AkApQwf.jpg 

Bobak: Bay open. 

http://i.imgur.com/iRTYRQv.jpg

Bobak: Dumping Second Stage! 

Gene: And it didn't explode! 

EHnggSD.jpg 

Bobak: Stable orbit achieved! 

Gene: now to eva to check- 

Gerty: Systems check complete. Life support, snacks, bored games, and habitation all nominal. Hull intact, no fuel leakage. 

Gene: ...Or Gerty could do it I guess. 

EoXqwgr.jpg 

Bobak: Dumping third stage! Let's get rid of these chemical engines! 

Gene: Gus, can you get W/S number 2 and 3 ready? Roll number 2 out as soon as we test the +Watney V1.1 

Gus: Got it! 

End of chapter 8! 

Oh, and I didn't intend on having pictures, but here is how +Watney V1.1 test went: 

Spoiler

Bobak: T-3... 2... 1! Clamps release!

Kerb #1: ok... We're wobbling a little... 

Kerb #2: here I can- 

Kerb #1: NO!!! THAT'S THE VTOL ENGINES!!! DON'T- 

*rocket flips over 2 Kilometers over the ksc* 

All three kerbs: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! 

Gerty: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! 

Mission control: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! 

Whale in space on some random comet: Hey look! A little unmanned lander! 

Every single Kerbal at the KSC: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! 

Bobak: ABORT!!! 

Kerb #3: *slams big red button* 

*Engines cut and pod separates.* 

Gene: Phew there safe and- 

KA-BLAM!!! 

Mort: NOOOOOO!!! THAT RUNWAY WAS SO EXPENSIVE!!! 

Gus: ok, divide into two groups! Group 1 be half the grounds team, and I want you to go recover them. Group 2, come with me and inspect the damage! Get them back to the astronauts complex by sun down! Go! 

Gene: well, guess the launchs will have to wait. Let's go refuel and load some stuff we already have in orbit. 

End of interludeish thing 8.1! 

No kerbs were harmed in the making of this interludeish thing. They were returned to the KSC safely. However, parts of the runway definitely were.

3 hours ago, Kerbal kerman said:

good story!!!

Thanks! Chapter 9 comes out today or tomorrow. I have the photos for the first half of the chapter. After that I have to rescue Jeb on chapter 10. When it comes out see if you can spot the reference really obvious thing.

Most of today I was just was messing around with hypersonic planes. But I did get the stuff from yesterday uploaded. 

Chapter 9-I NEED MY POTATOES!!! (and ice cream!)

ndm82Ia.jpg

Gene: Gerty! Perform a ship status report! 

Gerty: All supplies loaded. Oxidizer boiling off at a nominal rate. Crew happy. No screaming yet. All systems go. 

Gene: clear for launch. 

Melise: OHMYGOSHIALWAYSWANTEDTOGOTOSPACETHISISSOAWESOMEICANTWAIT!!! 

Sigris: I'm so excited! Let's go! 

*T* *Z*

193IPXu.jpg

Isama: Wait I didn't secure my snacks and- 

*Space* 

Isama: great. my chips are all over the back hatch and wall now. 

Gerty: sorry. Maybe don't be snacking right before a launch. 

Sigris: hey guys, why are there stripes on the runway?

Gus: those are always there. There ment for lining up approaches when landing planes. 

Sigris: no, the other ones in the smoke! 

Gus: Oh. Maybe ask one of the Devs?

VM4F8yG.jpg

Val: I am happy to report that to rover is still in one piece and also nonfunctional and melted! 

Gene: SOMEBODY MOVE THE ROVER BETWEEN CHAPTERS!!! 

Val: yes sir! 

Melise: No max, I will not go eva today. 

fux6sio.jpg

Melise: I have a bad feeling about this! 

Sigris: why? 

Melise: According to Gerty, the Flat Kerbin Society just launched a bunch of fighter jets! And they're heading for the KSC! 

Gene: Is this true? 

Gerty: Yes. But they have terrible fighters. 

Gene: Keep an eye a tracking satellite on them. 

0mU6kk7.jpg

Sigris: not good! Most of them are also believers in the faked mun landings right? 

Gene: Yes. We are in the future. It started with SpaceY's first barge landing. In the future, the only enemies are those that deny space science. Like them. 

Walt: You totally took the from @cubinator's sig didn't you? 

Gene: yep. Well, Gerty did, and I copied Gerty. 

Isama: what's going on up there? 

nBRNhBq.jpg

Sigris: GET TO SPACE WHERE THEY CAN'T GET US! 

Isama: Gerty! How far away are they?!? 

Gerty: they don't know how to use maps or GPS, so they are currently flying in circles. 

Isama: Oh.

Melise: DERP! 

rbZAbAf.jpg 

Bobak: Beginning turn. 

Gerty: All systems still nominal. Prepare for first stage separation. 

Crew: WHAT?!? 

Gerty: Yep. 

VgoF3LJ.jpg 

KA-BLAM! 

Crew: AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! WERE GOING TO DIE!!! 

Gerty: All stage 2 engines intact. Bobak, ignite second stage. 

Bobak: Got it! 

xK2GqpM.jpg

Bobak: Stage 2 igniting! 

Gene: Aww man! No cool hexagon. 

ojLDXYD.jpg

Bobak: Opening bays and deploying radiators! 

Val: Fly space bird! Fly! 

rVttdEb.jpg 

Gene: and because Jeb's rescue has been postponed "indefinitely" (for plot reasons), you will go get some ice cream next chapter! 

Sigirs: Yay! 

Isama: Snacks! 

Xvq7xP8.jpg

Bobak: Dumping Second stage! 

Crew: How much longer until chapter 10 and snacks? 

The author: Give it a day. 

Crew: Yes! Hey, let's name this the KSS space bird! 

Gene: and the mighty space bird is ready to fly! 

End of chapter 9! 

Oh, and if you want to know how the Swordfish Mk2 fighter flys, just check my imgur account. I think it still needs work...

Hey! It wasn't just the barge landing that started the future. It's also virtual reality, self-driving cars, and drones, among other things. The barge landing just put the last piece in place, all the things we associate with "The Future" now exist.

2 hours ago, superstrijder15 said:

I don't know why, but the pictures are invisible for me. reloading changed them into really small picture icons...:(

Huh. I've never had that problem. Sometimes it does take a while to load though. Also, I uploaded to imgur, then I post on mobile, so that might be a problem.

Maybe try my imgur account or just reload and wait is my only advice. Weird

3 hours ago, cubinator said:

Hey! It wasn't just the barge landing that started the future. It's also virtual reality, self-driving cars, and drones, among other things. The barge landing just put the last piece in place, all the things we associate with "The Future" now exist.

Well yeah, good point. The future is here! SPAAAAAAACE!!!

11 hours ago, max_creative said:

Most of today I was just was messing around with hypersonic planes. But I did get the stuff from yesterday uploaded. 

Chapter 9-I NEED MY POTATOES!!! (and ice cream!)

Potatoes and ice cream,  eh...@max_creative will probably give you roasted Dres rocks (Dres is a space potato right?) And Minmus rocks as ice cream :sticktongue:.

So I tried going to imgur, and then a notification blocked up. It translates to: We blocked this page cause it may contain inapropriate content, if you wnat to go on it anyway you can ask the admin.

Their site says that they catalogue sites by what kind of content there may be(violence, nudity, swearing) apperently imgur is so forbidden I can't even watch its images! 9gag's fine however...

Confused now, gotta talk with my parents tomorrow.

1 hour ago, superstrijder15 said:

So I tried going to imgur, and then a notification blocked up. It translates to: We blocked this page cause it may contain inapropriate content, if you wnat to go on it anyway you can ask the admin.

Their site says that they catalogue sites by what kind of content there may be(violence, nudity, swearing) apperently imgur is so forbidden I can't even watch its images! 9gag's fine however...

Confused now, gotta talk with my parents tomorrow.

Huh. The only stuff I have every uploaded to imgur is stuff for this and a little other stuff. Most of the other stuff was for google picture war. 

Wait a second. Are you at school? I'm actually at school here, and some pages, including imgur are blocked. Maybe it's that. Most images that are from imgur on the forums act really weird at school.

Just now, max_creative said:

Huh. The only stuff I have every uploaded to imgur is stuff for this and a little other stuff. Most of the other stuff was for google picture war. 

Wait a second. Are you at school? I'm actually at school here, and some pages, including imgur are blocked. Maybe it's that. Most images that are from imgur on the forums act really weird at school.

The imgur home page is also blocked, yours probably because the whole domain has been blocked, and i'm home, it's eleven at night here.

7 hours ago, superstrijder15 said:

The imgur home page is also blocked, yours probably because the whole domain has been blocked, and i'm home, it's eleven at night here.

Ok. Unless your home wifi has blocks, I have no idea. I haven't had any problems ever. Whether I'm logged in or out of imgur it's fine, and sometimes it still works at school. 

Sorry no chapter. Does anyone have any tips for a vtol private jet? I know to use thrust limiter, and that Junos on cubic octagonal struts is a good way, but other than that? There will be a full on assault on the ksc next chapter.

All I will say until then is that the private jet is owned by Flat Kerman. And all ksc staff will be unharmed. And that there will be a rocket launch. And that the ksc will be destroyed. And- AHH!!! TOO MANY HINTS!!! 

11 hours ago, KerbalOmmex said:

Potatoes and ice cream,  eh...@max_creative will probably give you roasted Dres rocks (Dres is a space potato right?) And Minmus rocks as ice cream :sticktongue:.

Well Mark Watney is a botanist who got stuck on Mars and had to grow potatos. The cruisers is going to Dres the space potato and is named the +Watney. Minmus is indeed ice cream. And the Minmus landing is rescheduled to chapter 11 because I have no plan for what I'm doing. 

Oh, and Random-1 (remember that cruiser from a loooooooong time ago?) is now in solar orbit! Maneuver plotted to happen in 44 days. DRES HERE WE COME! (Right after I go attach Diamond Tug 1 to SkySlasher 1)

I learned some things today: 

• SkySlasher and Diamond Tug 1 cannot dock. 
  • KerbalOmmex lander needs an adapter. 
  • Making Tylo Ren's transport thingy in ksp is super hard and annoying. 
  • My Big Tug 1 has to many RUDs. 
  • I have wasted 45 minutes of time. 
  • I have not gone to space today. 

Also, I'm going to need a lot of fuel, quite a few more Diamond Class Tugs, and an adapter to dock together two BT 1s (Big Tug 1). 

And yes, I intended to spell it "Tylo Ren"

And I still need to drag stuff over to the island airport, clear the debris there, and set up the fly in movie theater for chapter 11... I think I'm just going to stick to space exploration and just say that the FKS guys ran out of fuel...

5 hours ago, Space kerbal! said:

HI! I'm new and I really like this story!:)

Hi newbie and welcome to the forums! Hope you have a great time here. 

Ok, the +Watney isn't good enough, so the ++Watney is coming in chapter 10. During the tests FPS stayed below 20 FPS almost the whole launch. I have almost all the photos needed, all I need is the ++Watney launch. The lander has a Kerbin T/W Ratio >1, so it's ready for Tylo and possibly Slate in the future. The vtol landing works perfectly, and the ship is ready. Launching tomorrow. Lander will launch to prepare ++Watney for Jool as soon as I get a reply back from @sdj64.

Any ideas for what I should name my Jool 5 mission report? 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.