Kopernicus PQS mods Documentation (W.I.P)

Kepler68

Oh, we do know that, but we were actually looking for the stuff we put into the configs rather than what they're based on.

We are pretty much trying to decipher the code in the ModLoader stuff.

However, considering that you make the Kopernicus examples, maybe you know how to translate the code.

i know what you meant, yes i have them all on file on my pc, I cant really stress enough though that as someone who doesnt know how to code at all like myself it is EXTREMELY easy to read the github especially seeing as every single value name is written in bright blue. It even tells you what value it needs directly under the name; numberparser is a number, MapSOParser is a MapSO (or a file like a colormap/heightmap), FloatCurveParser is a foat curve....simple, huh?

Honestly learning how PQSMods actually work is the most important and fun thing you can do when creating planets, you should take the time to learn for yourself what every mod does, instead of trying to compile a list of everything at once. This will just lead to people using overly-complicated mods that they have no idea how to properly use.

1 hour ago, KillAshley said:

Honestly learning how PQSMods actually work is the most important and fun thing you can do when creating planets, you should take the time to learn for yourself what every mod does, instead of trying to compile a list of everything at once. This will just lead to people using overly-complicated mods that they have no idea how to properly use.

I can understand this completely however I do feel like there should be more information available about them without having to ask on the Kopernicus thread. I myself have been discouraged from making a planet due to the fact that I couldn't figure out what any of the mods did, however now I feel confident in messing with the values. As for people not learning the mods, there isn't a lot of data on this thread about how different values affect the mod, just one or two pictures. people will still expirement with the mods while at least knowing their planet will actually load properly as well as know what the mod accepts :)

i do agree that people should learn how the mod works so I added it to the OP. now I just need to figure out how to change the color of it so it stands out...

Edited by Kepler68

I was looking at the PQS mods we hade yet to fill in and then I realized that something I had actually used it...

FlattenOcean

Spoiler

FlattenOcean
                {
                    oceanRadius = 1.0
                    enabled = true
                    order = 25
                }

I just don't know about what 'order' does, or what oceanRadius is (I presume it may be the comparing the radius of the ocean to the planet for sea level perhaps?).

EDIT: Oooh, another!

I found:

VertexSimplexHeightAbsolute

Spoiler

VertexSimplexHeightAbsolute
                {
                    seed = 123456 //meh, just a seed
                    deformity = 60 //height of bumps, I guess
                    octaves = 8
                    persistence = 0.5
                    frequency = 6
                    enabled = true
                    order = 2
                }

EDIT #2: Dear God, It's full of mods...

Well, this is one to get your body to show up on the main menu instead of Kerbin.

Place this after the @Kopernicus:AFTER[KOPERNICUS]

Spoiler

%mainMenuBody = [insert Dres] //place right after the @Kopernicus:After[KOPERNICUS

So much fun, so very little time.

Edited by Astrofox
Oooh, another!

Is there anything I could do to the kopernicus files to make Mars have an actual height map? All the other planets seem to have nice textures on the surface (yes, I tried every single planet by hyperediting my ship to them) but Mars seems to be stuck with the old Duna textures once you get down below a certain point. Is there any way this is fixable?

53 minutes ago, bigguy4u said:

Is there anything I could do to the kopernicus files to make Mars have an actual height map? All the other planets seem to have nice textures on the surface (yes, I tried every single planet by hyperediting my ship to them) but Mars seems to be stuck with the old Duna textures once you get down below a certain point. Is there any way this is fixable?

I think you may be missing the normals map but I agree with Astrofox this isn't really the thread to ask :) 

1 minute ago, Kepler68 said:

I think you may be missing the normals map but I agree with Astrofox this isn't really the thread to ask :) 

I don't know where else to ask, I tried asking on the RSS thread, the RO thread, but nobody is really helping. Do you know where I could get the normals map?

Edited by bigguy4u

• 6 months later...

I was actually doing the same thing in another thread :D

Then again, it's been a while since I updated it. Feel free to use any data you find here.

On 6/5/2016 at 3:29 AM, bigguy4u said:

I don't know where else to ask, I tried asking on the RSS thread, the RO thread, but nobody is really helping. Do you know where I could get the normals map?

To make Duna have a Mars texture you need to patch it's heightmap, colormap and ScaledSpace, the normal map only applies shadow correctly in scaledspace, and has absolutely zero relation to actual height.

Over on the RSS thread you can download the textures at even 8K resolutions, I checked and Mars is included.

I know this thread is a little dated but is there any chance this will be updated @Kepler68 ? I mean nowadays there are probably alot more people who can help you decipher and make a specific PQS Mod understandable.

Edited by SAS123

14 hours ago, SAS123 said:

I know this thread is a little dated but is there any chance this will be updated @Kepler68 ? I mean nowadays there are probably alot more people who can help you decipher and make a specific PQS Mod understandable.

i don't know, I'm pretty bad at maintaining stuff. you can take over if you want

3 hours ago, Kepler68 said:

i don't know, I'm pretty bad at maintaining stuff. you can take over if you want

Sure I'll take over the project. But i am unsure how to transfer ownership to me as i haven't really done a Topic thread before.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2017 at 9:13 PM, Axilourous said:

oooh so many mods in the link, ima try a bunch, but they don't say what they do...

that is an issue with kopernicus in general. ask on the main thread for help but don't be sad if no one responds. also the list isnt complete look at the one in the GitHub link for a real representation. also @Red Iron Crown can we get a lock on this I'm not maintaining it anymore and people keep bringing it back up XD

5 hours ago, Kepler68 said:

that is an issue with kopernicus in general. ask on the main thread for help but don't be sad if no one responds. also the list isnt complete look at the one in the GitHub link for a real representation. also @Red Iron Crown can we get a lock on this I'm not maintaining it anymore and people keep bringing it back up XD

While this is still open, I was looking at the link("so many mods in the link" lel)... and yeah probs best for this to get locked lol. :D

Edited by Axilourous

Does anyone know the differences between "AtmosphericExtra" and "AtmosphericMain"? Or which one would be the best long term solution for texturing? My testing has been inconclusive but it seems that the texture tiling and contrast/saturation values are vastly different on AtmosphericMain and AtmosphericExtra configs. Perhaps one is replacing stock values and one is adding?