Status Report 1.13

ansaman

I play a LOT of KSP (my last name is Manley, but unrelated to Scott Manley AFAIK) and I put in approximately eight hours since 1.13 Release. I am sure I am well over 3000 hours game play since .25.

Looks good. Stable. Thanks to all involved. :D

I played ~2 hours and had 4 ctds during scene changes due to memory corruption. Mods: KER, KJR (verions of 1.1.2), Scansat, Waypointmanager (1.1.3 versions). The last 2 crashes were unmodded, stock game.

Rovers still break dance, wheels get "blocked" for no apparent reason (that new one ?).

I recall squad blamed unity for all this and that they said in 1.2 everything will be fine again. Right now it's unstable, no improvement from 1.1.2 that i could see in the short time.

1 hour ago, Green Baron said:

I played ~2 hours and had 4 ctds during scene changes due to memory corruption. Mods: KER, KJR (verions of 1.1.2), Scansat, Waypointmanager (1.1.3 versions). The last 2 crashes were unmodded, stock game.

Rovers still break dance, wheels get "blocked" for no apparent reason (that new one ?).

I recall squad blamed unity for all this and that they said in 1.2 everything will be fine again. Right now it's unstable, no improvement from 1.1.2 that i could see in the short time.

Well, 1.1.3 is not 1.2.

So 1.1.3 seems vastly improved, but still not perfect.  On load, it appears to use about half a gb less memory, and from appearances, seems more stable.  Just for kicks I went into the VAB and the SPH and just started adding and removing parts with reckless abandon.  I only got one crash in about an hour of building contraptions Rube Goldberg would be proud of.  The floor markings in the VAB look better, but the flag on the wall is still spazzing out.  The floor markings in the SPH still look like TV static in a lot of places.  Gameplay seems pretty good too.  Orbits seem a lot more stable, and docking resulted in no bizarre behavior that I could manage to conjure up.  A rudimentary space plane was able to taxi around and take off normally with no spin-outs or other strange behavior.  Flight was pretty good, and it even seemed like the aerodynamics were a little more responsive than normal.  Landing, however, left something to be desired.  I used Kramax to set up a RWY 27 approach, and everything seemed cool until touchdown, at which point the aircraft (with the fixed-style landing gear) ricocheted up like a superball dropped from the top of a parking garage and came down like a 5 ton pile of unaerodynamic trash and dynamite.  Might need some tweaking, I think.  In all fairness, that was the limit of testing I was able to accomplish before my children, who desperately need to go the heck back to school, presented me with their next list of demands.

For note, I'm on OS X, with a handful of mods I'm too lazy to list.  Also, no logs, screenshots or other contrivances for the same reason.

@NathanKell, I'm tagging you on this just for general feedback.  I'm quick to give negative feedback when patches and such introduce bugs, I thought it only fitting to provide some positive-ish feedback that you'll see as well.  Good job squashing bugs (so far!).  

Edited by MaxPeck

Did anybody suffer from intense flickering ot the VAB/SPH button and part interfaces. What happens is that during vessel building the whole part and other GUI graphics would flicker on/off 2 times per second.

It didn't make the game crash, nor did it make the buttons inoperable, so it's a pure graphics glitch. I never had this before on previous versions. This might be just on KSP 64bit under linux and Windows and Mac OSX users do not experience this.
If so, please let me know.

Edited by Vaporized Steel

I run KSP 64bit under Windows and haven't had the glitches that you have, but it's unfortunate that you do.
Perhaps file a bug report about it?

In my case KSP seems a bit better performing overall.
And landing gear seems better as well. Now I can do a proper takeoff and stick a landing on the T1 runway, whereas I couldn't do so in the previous version in the same aircraft before.

The buttons don't work outside the VAB for me. 

While in the VAB I can extend / retract antenna and solar panels and deploy / close the Mystery Goo Containment Unit for example but once on the launch pad I cannot do any of these.

1 hour ago, T-Bouw said:

I run KSP 64bit under Windows and haven't had the glitches that you have, but it's unfortunate that you do.
Perhaps file a bug report about it?

In my case KSP seems a bit better performing overall.
And landing gear seems better as well. Now I can do a proper takeoff and stick a landing on the T1 runway, whereas I couldn't do so in the previous version in the same aircraft before.

I run KSP 64bit on Windows too and have had no problems in 6 hours of 1.1.3. Landed on the Mun and my LT-1 legs worked fine. I did slide slowly down the slope I landed on, however it was very steep!

Great patch IMO.

Amazing. Although, whenever I try to turn on the headlamps on the helmet (using the L key) it doesn't seem to do it on the first try. Well, it's more of a " hit the L key until you get lucky."

Oh well, at least it kinda works.

I did send a mission to Dres and I recorded the rotation of the most amazing world in the KSP universe. Oh, I also ran out of fuel, and I sent a craft to refuel Jebediah's spacecraft.

Also, I tried to get out and push at one point, but that somehow doesn't really work very much...

For me KSP is running way better, at higher FPS, less memory usage, and no more editor crashes which were attacking me in 1.1.2. But then again, I haven't played much since it was released, considering it was midnight.

Darn,,, sigh!  Installed 1.1.3 and a few mods...  and it just cashed twice on me while deleting a part in VAB (with-in 30 mins)   :-(  

Windows 10

64 bits exe.

mods:

Mechjeb

science station

EVA Txfr

SpaceY Expanded, Heavy lifters, Fuel tank plus.

Kerbal Planetary Base System.

Any of you guys have have same prob with 1.1.3?

...so I just arrived home from work after 2.5 hours commute..my head filled with plans for KSP

I get off my train..5 minutes later get home.. Plant myself.infront of the PC..close steam..dirty steam go away!

Run KSP 64 from exe

And thats how it was for the next few hours..studying truck wheels.. The clicking and snapping of SPH editor..sofened into a melody..the repeated cycle of try..load..repeat..try

Suddenly, the serenity of life on the KTP was shattered.. Windows crashed and clouds of smoke erupted into the air..

My fear rose at the sound of steam messenger.. I saw it was a friend..whos echos of hammering on the desk in frustration grew louder....

While this noise persisted, the clicking of the hard drive..the whine of fans..overheated air pouring from the system case and the hard drive light flickered...it gave life to KSP, a common dance of noise and chaos..

Suddenly..it stopped..

Sure in its arrogance of superiority.. KSP launched via exe had fallen victim to steam..plotting..planning..updating on the body of a living program.. Now dead from the ordeal.. A live update on a live program

As KSP fell victim to steam..so did the KTP, now an alien landscape of shattered mods..warning screens and confusion

1.1.3 had replaced 1.1.2..

Besides from that..

Awesome :) longer trains better framerate..awesome more so..8 car trains are normal and im happy..

1.1.3 doesnt change the modded wheels I make work. 

Seems 1.1.3 is good for land trains

Space? Dunno...dont care :)

26 minutes ago, Overland said:

Suddenly, the serenity of life on the KTP was shattered.. Windows crashed and clouds of smoke erupted into the air..

If smoke's involved your computer's got way bigger problems than KSP can do to it.

I haven't had the chance to play 1.1.3 yet, due to the fact that many of my "mod essentials" list have yet to be updated in CKAN. I want to make absolutely sure they are compatible before I go ahead.

Besides, there was a specific crash I was getting in 1.1.2 that had to do with KAS and/or EPL, but I can't recreate the scenario without some of the other mods such as NearFuture and Tweakscale. I figured since 1.1.3 got released so recently that I would hold off on complaining about debugging the crash for 1.1.2, and instead see if 1.1.3 works better.

I've heard that linking ships in 1.1.3 is now broken for KAS, is this true?

PS: Alucard the Crimson @#$%er does not approve of your censorship regexes.

Edited by Auriga_Nexus

I only got chance for a very quick look at 1.1.3 last night, but...

Flags still fall over and roll down hills.  BOO

Landing gear seems better.  YAY

My 'mobile office' no longer wanders about with the brakes on.  YAY

Monoliths are now 'monolithic'.  YAY

Performance 'feels' a little better, but difficult to know properly after such a short test.  YAY?

It's early days, but for me, the YAY's have it so far.

I played KSP for probably 3-4 hours last night, tested a new Rover I built. Kerbals still have the ability to send rovers halfway into orbit, but apart from that the rover wheels seemed more stable, could drive around at 4x physical timewarp without going boom, that's definitely an improvement. VAB also seems significantly more stable now, didn't crash once. I still have low FPS in VAB, but that's most likely due to my severely outdated CPU. It seems to me that Squad has been generous with the bug spray in this patch, nice work. :cool:

I run Windows 7 Pro 64bit by the way, seems like KSP favor windows 7.

6 minutes ago, Mjarf said:

I played KSP for probably 3-4 hours last night, tested a new Rover I built. Kerbals still have the ability to send rovers halfway into orbit, but apart from that the rover wheels seemed more stable, could drive around at 4x physical timewarp without going boom, that's definitely an improvement. VAB also seems significantly more stable now, didn't crash once. I still have low FPS in VAB, but that's most likely due to my severely outdated CPU. It seems to me that Squad has been generous with the bug spray in this patch, nice work. :cool:

I run Windows 7 Pro 64bit by the way, seems like KSP favor windows 7.

Were they stock wheels or modded ones?  EVA kerbals are supposed to now be on a different layer so they shouldn't interact with wheel colliders at all.  If this is a stock issue then it is probably worth reporting it in the support forum (or adding some information to an existing bug on the tracker).

As for low FPS in the VAB, have you turned off the animated ground crew in the settings?  This should significantly reduce the CPU usage in the VAB...

The rover was built with stock parts only, the Kerbal was slightly underneath the chassis of the rover when I accidentally translated up with the EVA thrusters, and it did happen on the mun, so might not qualify as an actual bug. I'll do another test on Kerbin to see if it was just caused by the low gravity.

Update: I did some testing on Kerbin and I couldn't make Jeb throw the rover into the air no matter what I tried. I was only able to make him flip it slightly over when it was directly ontop of him, seems like this bug has been squashed also.

Edited by Mjarf

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.