[KSP 1.6.1] Stock Visual Enhancements [v1.4.1] [20 March 2019]

Galileo

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

An older version of scatterer won't work.  There is an update for Scatterer in the works that will fix the issue

The all in one isn't at the top because it's a different branch than the one for ckan.  I'll try to fix this in the future

Back again with another question... I downloaded and installed CKAN and downloaded all my favorite mods into my fresh install with the (working) SVE mod (using the all in one download), but now the SVE is not working. The clouds work, but not the SVE

Here is my Output Log:

https://1drv.ms/t/s!AvUWxjgM4SuQhbY4DWrHDN_0tjgcbA

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

An older version of scatterer won't work.  There is an update for Scatterer in the works that will fix the issue

The all in one isn't at the top because it's a different branch than the one for ckan.  I'll try to fix this in the future

The problem seems to be a compatibility issue with Kerbol Star System (Author: StarCrusher96).... I deleted KSS (Kerbol Star System) folder, reloaded and now SVE works perfectly. Not sure is the compatibility problem is on SVEs side or KSS' side. KSS is a REALLY good mod and becoming very popular. Do you know what the problem with the compatibility may be?

Edited by Voodoo8648

11 minutes ago, Voodoo8648 said:

Back again with another question... I downloaded and installed CKAN and downloaded all my favorite mods into my fresh install with the (working) SVE mod (using the all in one download), but now the SVE is not working. The clouds work, but not the SVE

Here is my Output Log:

https://1drv.ms/t/s!AvUWxjgM4SuQhbY4DWrHDN_0tjgcbA

The problem seems to be a compatibility issue with Kerbol Star System (Author: StarCrusher96).... I deleted KSS (Kerbol Star System) folder, reloaded and now SVE works perfectly. Not sure is the compatibility problem is on SVEs side or KSS' side. KSS is a REALLY good mod and becoming very popular. Do you know what the problem with the compatibility may be?

No idea..  I make SVE and any compatibility will have to come from the other mod author.  There are a lot of reasons why kss doesn't work with SVE. I suspect it's because KSS adds more sun's which scatterer doesn't play well with.

2 minutes ago, Galileo said:

No idea..  I make SVE and any compatibility will have to come from the other mod author.  There are a lot of reasons why kss doesn't work with SVE. I suspect it's because KSS adds more sun's which scatterer doesn't play well with.

In my 1.1.3 version, there are no problems with compatibility between KSS and SVE. Both work perfectly.. the scatterer even works perfect with the 1.1.3

Edited by Voodoo8648

15 minutes ago, Voodoo8648 said:

In my 1.1.3 version, there are no problems with compatibility between KSS and SVE. Both work perfectly.. the scatterer even works perfect with the 1.1.3

A LOT has changed in 1.2.  You cannot compare 1.1.3 and 1.2.  Scatterer in particular  has changed and now,  depending on what sun kerbin is orbiting,  scatterer needs cfgs that point to that sun

Edited by Galileo

2 hours ago, Galileo said:

A LOT has changed in 1.2.  You cannot compare 1.1.3 and 1.2.  Scatterer in particular  has changed and now,  depending on what sun kerbin is orbiting,  scatterer needs cfgs that point to that sun

I see. StarCrusher changed the settings of the Kerbol Sun to make it appear much smaller; a pin prick sized apparent magnitude. Also, in KSS I believe Kerbol and all other stars orbit a kinda black hole called "The All".. like in a real galaxy.

If the settings for the stock vanilla Kerbol sun were left alone, do you think that KSS and SVE would then be compatible? 

I'm trying to find a way or suggest a way for both KSS and SVE to both be compatible as both are VERY good mods

Edited by Voodoo8648

Just now, Voodoo8648 said:

I see. StarCrusher changed the settings of the Kerbol Sun to make it appear much smaller; a pin prick sized apparent magnitude. Also, in KSS I believe Kerbol and all other stars orbit a kinda black hole called "The All".. like in a real galaxy.

If the settings for the stock vanilla Kerbol were left alone, do you think that KSS and SVE would then be compatible? 

I'm trying to find a way or suggest a way for both KSS and SVE to both be compatible as both are VERY good mods

it all comes down to what the stars name is.. you would have to change the name of the sun in scatterers cfgs

12 minutes ago, MerlinsMaster said:

Hey Galileo, back in 2014, the Interstellar version of Astronomer's Visual Pack had this really awesome green mist on Mimnus.  Is there any chance you'd be willing to consider bringing that back?

there is surface dust on minmus already and it is a subtle minty green color

Speaking of dust on the Mun and Minmus. How realistic is it to have these dust clouds on a non-atmospheric body? I think dust should settle very quickly there as there is no wind or air resistance to keep it in the "air".

On a different note, SVE is not marked as compatible with 1.2.1 at CKAN. Can someone fix metadata or is it just a CKAN glitch?

28 minutes ago, garwel said:

Speaking of dust on the Mun and Minmus. How realistic is it to have these dust clouds on a non-atmospheric body? I think dust should settle very quickly there as there is no wind or air resistance to keep it in the "air".

On a different note, SVE is not marked as compatible with 1.2.1 at CKAN. Can someone fix metadata or is it just a CKAN glitch?

i dont deal with anything on CKAN.. last i saw it was compatible though.. The Moon IRL does have clouds that move on the terminators. I wasnt really going for realism on the Mun though, just aesthetics.

Edited by Galileo

2 hours ago, Galileo said:

there is surface dust on minmus already and it is a subtle minty green color

Oh, really?  I've been there a couple of times in my current game, but I didn't really notice any dust at all.  Is it supposed to be on by default, or do I have to switch it on?

16 minutes ago, MerlinsMaster said:

Oh, really?  I've been there a couple of times in my current game, but I didn't really notice any dust at all.  Is it supposed to be on by default, or do I have to switch it on?

its there by default.. i made it pretty subtle... here is a pic... this is with SVT installed as well 

KSP_x64_2016-11-09_13-24-33.jpg

1 hour ago, garwel said:

Dust doesn't need air or an atmosphere; it can be stirred up from an airless surface by some other force, i.e. a thruster or wheel.  Settling of dust would therefore be dependent on gravity.

If the dust clouds are just roaming around, that's a different story but I'm happy with the author's licence to make the surface more interesting.  Maybe there's some out-gassing??

Astronauts reported a bloom around the moon that was theoretically impossible. The moon should have no atmosphere... right?

Well, turns out that it get statically charged, and this allows some particles to bounce around on the surface. A charge atmosphere, though temporary one.

For reference: https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LADEE/news/lunar-atmosphere.html

Yep, I found that there is indeed dust around the Moon, but it's estimated only 120 kg at any given time, which is very, very low concentration, probably invisible to human eye under normal conditions. One can of course speculate that the Mun and Minmus are more "dusty" for some reason. But the dust should not look like clouds in an airless environment, even if it is dense. Every particle will follow a ballistic trajectory and fall on the surface, not hang there as it does in the atmosphere.

Anyway, it does make the environments of the Kerbin's moons look more dynamic. Keep up the good work, @Galileo!

6 hours ago, garwel said:

Damn someone beat me to the moon's static charge but here's a reason for Minmus: sublimation. You can say it contains ices that sublimate to a gas under sunlight. Maybe @Galileo can add snow to Minmus too so that on the night side the gas can freeze and return to the surface (I know tho you can't control it to only appear on the night side, but just as an option ppl can enable). As to the fact that the clouds move along the surface well, that's just a limitation of EVE

Edited by Drew Kerman

Yes, electrostatic suspension and sublimation are realistic reasons to have some tiny amount of visible dust or vapor in the air, but the effect should be very mild to the point where it's barely visible.

A lot of visual mods over-do things like Scatterer effects and cloud density...  I really appreciate it where SVE takes a more subtle approach instead of going to the extremes.  It just makes things look more plausible, while also allowing more of the underlying details to be seen.

Edited by RoboRay

1 hour ago, RoboRay said:

Yes, electrostatic suspension and sublimation are realistic reasons to have some tiny amount of visible dust or vapor in the air, but the effect should be very mild to the point where it's barely visible.

A lot of visual mods over-do things like Scatterer effects and cloud density...  I really appreciate it where SVE takes a more subtle approach instead of going to the extremes.  It just makes things look more plausible, while also allowing more of the underlying details to be seen.

Personally, I like it when things are overdone a little bit.  Like the mist on Mimnus I mentioned before.  It was easily about ten times the amount that you see in the picture Galileo posted.  I know it's completely unrealistic, but I love it anyway.

And Galileo, it would be awesome if you could maybe have something like that as an optional add-on.  Just saying.:D

4 hours ago, RoboRay said:

but the effect should be very mild to the point where it's barely visible.

use Alt+Zero to open the EVE config window, switch to the cloud layers, select the Minmus dust layer and for the cloud color setting make the 4th value (the alpha channel) really low. That'll make the dust/fog/whatever you want to call it much less visible. Use the Apply button (takes a min or so to apply, game has not frozen Let it process)

14 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

use Alt+Zero to open the EVE config window, switch to the cloud layers, select the Minmus dust layer and for the cloud color setting make the 4th value (the alpha channel) really low. That'll make the dust/fog/whatever you want to call it much less visible. Use the Apply button (takes a min or so to apply, game has not frozen Let it process)

Oh he was just saying he likes the way SVE does its minus dust,  not that he wants to change anything lol but I appreciate you putting the instructions up for those that want to change anything

Edited by Galileo

1 hour ago, RoboRay said:

Well, I was satisfied with it before, but after knocking the "7" down to "2", I'm loving it.

Oooh, I like it!

6 hours ago, RoboRay said:

A lot of visual mods over-do things like Scatterer effects and cloud density...  I really appreciate it where SVE takes a more subtle approach

Its like a guitar player with effects pedals. When they first get them everything gets turned to 11, but with time it becomes apparent less is often more except the volume - that stays at 11. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.