New Dwarf Planet!

_Augustus_

Similar orbit to that theoretical 9th planet that everyone is looking for lately?

But nowhere near massive enough,

Now, what knocked it into such a chaotic orbit?

Edited by vger

2 minutes ago, vger said:

Similar orbit to that theoretical 9th planet that everyone is looking for lately?

Planet Nine may be the reason for this object's orbit. However, it has to be alligned with Nine's other victims, liks Sedna and 2012 VP113. Maybe Eris or Pluto kicked out this new dwarf planet? We can speculate, but we need more data.

7 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Planet Nine may be the reason for this object's orbit. However, it has to be alligned with Nine's other victims, liks Sedna and 2012 VP113. Maybe Eris or Pluto kicked out this new dwarf planet? We can speculate, but we need more data.

Considering Pluto and Eris are only a little bigger than this object I find that unlikely, especially with Pluto's satellite system intact.

7 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

I had the same idea, the orbit shape reminds of those kbo's used for the planet nine prediction.

Where's is the AP of 2015 RR245 in comparison to Sedna and the others ? If that's similar 2015 RR245 might be another hint to planet nine ...

http://www.findplanetnine.com/p/blog-page.html

Edited by Green Baron

2 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Too small? It's almost as big as Kerbin! :D

Actually, it isn't. You see, I perceive the KSP universe as having planets and moons 1/10 the size of those in our universe. Using this logic, if Kerbin was sent to our reality, it would be about the size of Venus.

Either way, 2015 RR245 is still a small object with a mere 500-something km diameter. I was hoping for another Pluto twin to  promote to a planet! :'( 

Just now, ProtoJeb21 said:

Actually, it isn't. You see, I perceive the KSP universe as having planets and moons 1/10 the size of those in our universe. Using this logic, if Kerbin was sent to our reality, it would be about the size of Venus.

I know, I know, I was just poking fun at the size of KSP's planets.

There is a ton of these bodies out there. As we discover more and more of this glorified leftover space dough balls, hopefully people will be less annoying about Pluto because it really annoys me.

Edited by lajoswinkler

5 hours ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Either way, 2015 RR245 is still a small object with a mere 500-something km diameter. I was hoping for another Pluto twin to  promote to a planet! :'( 

I guess with more pluto-sized objects out there it's getting more unlikely that pluto will be promoted a planet again. You see, with it's size Pluto is at least a little bit of special among the tiny transneptunian rocks. However, I like Pluto, planet or not, doesn't matter.

Talking aobut planets... Is this rock anywhere related to the "missing" planet 9? Are there any news about planet 9?

On ‎12‎.‎07‎.‎2016 at 7:11 AM, vger said:

A Planet X Trojan?

13 hours ago, lugge said:

You see, with it's size Pluto is at least a little bit of special among the tiny transneptunian rocks.

Eris is bigger than Pluto, and most people probably haven't even heard of it. Still, there's no point arguing about nomenclature. Planets or not, they're still interesting.

11 hours ago, cubinator said:

Eris is bigger than Pluto, and most people probably haven't even heard of it.

Not as far as I know (OK, Eris has more mass):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:EightTNOs.png

11 hours ago, cubinator said:

Still, there's no point arguing about nomenclature. Planets or not, they're still interesting.

Yep, exactly what I was saying, thanks for confirmation.

Edited by lugge

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.