Weather Chat Megathread

ProtoJeb21

Monday was the biggest and longest torrential storm I remember. Absolutely throwing it down in the morning. Coupled with heavy winds, it was painful. Then it died out a bit, but still overcast and lightly raining. Around noon, the heavens opened. The water covered everything, and it lasted about 90 minutes. Interestingly, there was no hail. That was for the best though, I can't imagine the horror of hail being intermixed in that.

Now it's more typical British weather. Overcast and raining occasionally.

Ha ! You messed with the white balance ! :-)

Seriously, i know these sunsets exist, it's so beautiful.

Thundershower dying over the sea and stars come through. Taken from 550m above sea level, 280 frames, each 15sec, full frame slr, 24mm, f/2.8, software ImagesToVideo.

https://vimeo.com/192898343

Edited by Green Baron
Exposure data corrected

LOL. Straight from my phone to photobucket, actually. We're pretty spoiled with sunsets, it really does look like that... heck, that's not even a pretty one, lol.

Love the storm coming in, @Green Baron, I really need to try that!

I mess with weather photography sometimes from my patio:

storm.jpg

10 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

It's a lovely sunny day here in the American Southwest. Perfect for some lenscraft...

Yes, it is. Where in the American SW are you? From your imaginary latitude, I'd wonder if it was Sedona :wink: .

https://vimeo.com/193085753

And another one. Weak cold front moving in over the sea. One of maybe 3 over the year, subtropical zone here. Stats similar to the other clips, About an hour total real time. I switched times between exposures from 10 to 15 sec. Should have just kept my fingers off because now it's a bit too fast ...

I find it nice to see how the cold air labilizes the warm and moist ground layer, it's torn up with high speeds and condensates, thus the towering clouds, until it can't hold back more and just lets under itself :-) No thunders, cloudtop is not too high, probably high pressure in higher ranges, blocking any thunderstorms that are  frequently connected with cold fronts in higher latitudes.

This is an old image I took, but I really like it:

IMG_7835.jpg

It was a longish exposure at night, hand held, and a telephoto lens. The artifacts in the clouds possibly mean I took it through the window (double-pane glass).

Edited by tater

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/5/2016 at 2:41 PM, ProtoJeb21 said:

My weather, earlier today, in a nutshell:

~snip~

That sums up our weekend. It's been snowing most of the time for the last two days, with more coming tomorrow. This was taken this morning, it's night now. We had a bulldozer working our townhouse complex for eight hours so we could get out....

hJOV1ch.jpg

The wind is making some crazy drifts, but it's keeping a lot of the vehicles mostly snow-free

Edited by StrandedonEarth

Its getting warm again in Coastal Netherlands! My latest observation was like 15C, wich for people here is playing-outside-but-still-wear-a-jacket weather! And Jason Bourne, like 2 weeks ago it was like below freezing point!

Dangit Sea-Climate! Playing games in the North Sea again!

But wait! Thats not all! A few weeks ago, i got snow! Real snow! But geuss what? A layer of just one snowflake! Just one snowflake! No joke! For reals 1 snowflake!

And now it's morning. I took out the measuring tape and it's a solid 24 inches (60cm) deep or more in spots! The snow is more than halfway up the fence in spots! That may just be a record for this region.

I tell you what though, the kids are sure having fun. The bulldozer left mountains of snow over ten feet high in spots!

F1a75Lh.jpg

The adults, however, think that ....

X1PwMyy.png

vlCtNPM.jpg

Edited by StrandedonEarth

3 hours ago, NSEP said:

Its getting warm again in Coastal Netherlands! My latest observation was like 15C, wich for people here is playing-outside-but-still-wear-a-jacket weather!

wat.

'Round here, that's "hide inside under three blankets with the furnace cranking" weather.

3 hours ago, NSEP said:

But wait! Thats not all! A few weeks ago, i got snow! Real snow! But geuss what? A layer of just one snowflake! Just one snowflake! No joke! For reals 1 snowflake!

That's the only snow we've ever gotten in my immediate locale. And the only time that happened was ten years ago. The mountains get real snow, but the best we lowlanders get on a regular basis is pea-sized (if I'm generous) hail and the occasional frozen puddle.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.