Weather Chat Megathread

ProtoJeb21

• 2 weeks later...

Today got abnormally warm (10°C when the average for this date is -2) and clear so I used the opportunity to take the telescope out and look at Venus, Mars, and Castor, and watch a few satellite flares. Mars will be right next to Uranus on the 26th, I hope I can catch that.

Here in New Mexico, 15C is absolutely shorts weather if the sun is out. Heck, 5-10C is shorts weather hiking if it's sunny. If it is cloudy... then I'm freezing in those sorts of temps. We took the kids up a volcano neck a couple weeks ago, and it was ~10C when we started, and closer to 15 by the time we got back to the car. Most of use were wearing long pants, etc, but my friend's 2d grader was wearing tiny shorts and a t-shirt, and she never complained once.

5 minutes ago, TheKosanianMethod said:

Here in Virginia, it's 72F. In February. It's usually about 15-35F this time of year. I could almost be wearing shorts. IN FEBRUARY! This jetstream better fix itself, I want a snow day.

I set my heater to 72F. How do you go with shorts when it's that cold?

6 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

I set my heater to 72F. How do you go with shorts when it's that cold?

*wears swim trunks*

I personally consider this a miracle! It's uh....74 here right now; absolutely BLAZING hot for this time of year!

1 minute ago, 0111narwhalz said:

'Round here, anything below 100F is nice weather. "Sunny and seventy-five" is considered good conditions for doing stuff outside, because you'll warm up from working. 70F is "wear a sweater" temperature.

Good kraken where do you live?! Death Valley?!

Few hundred miles south of there. Vacations are to the Mojave in the winter and to the Sierras (and ancillary ranges) in the summer, because summer deserts are too hot even for us, and we don't know how to deal with snow. Standard camping equipment includes a fifty-gallon drum of water.

1 hour ago, 0111narwhalz said:

Few hundred miles south of there. Vacations are to the Mojave in the winter and to the Sierras (and ancillary ranges) in the summer, because summer deserts are too hot even for us, and we don't know how to deal with snow. Standard camping equipment includes a fifty-gallon drum of water.

I've been hiking in  northern New Mexico before,  and it was actually bearable.  I think it was because there was almost no humidity,  and I'm used to muggy, sticky heat. But yes, we carried a folding 5-gallon jug to fill at camp. We'd finish about two off in a few hours. 

UK just got hit by storm "Doris", which sounds like an oldwoman rushing (well at least slightly faster than orbit around Gilly) for the last biscuit for her tea! Some damage was done, tea was cooled quicker, it rained in london (this is not really worth saying) and every british person discussed how awful it is.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in southern Minnesota and it's still winter but yesterday it was 70 degrees and about 40-50 MPH winds. The same day when school was finished I noticed that there was a Tornado Watch notification on my phone. At that time it's was sunny and barely any clouds, after going to Walmart for a while It was very dark and big fluffy clouds to the north. When I got home there was a Tornado Warning only about 100 miles away from my town. After the the big storm passed there was a double rainbow. Next day it was below freezing and snow on the ground. I guess that's Minnesota for you!

On 3/7/2017 at 7:20 PM, Dfthu said:

I live in southern Minnesota and it's still winter but yesterday it was 70 degrees and about 40-50 MPH winds. The same day when school was finished I noticed that there was a Tornado Watch notification on my phone. At that time it's was sunny and barely any clouds, after going to Walmart for a while It was very dark and big fluffy clouds to the north. When I got home there was a Tornado Warning only about 100 miles away from my town. After the the big storm passed there was a double rainbow. Next day it was below freezing and snow on the ground. I guess that's Minnesota for you!

Sounds like Texas to me!

5 minutes ago, TheKosanianMethod said:

Nature here in Virginia can't decide what season to be. 40F in the morning, 70F by noon. Then light snow tomorrow night.

Read above statement

Life in Texas in a nutshell.

Oh what a pretty day! Not a cloud in the sky... No wind... It's amazing!

*Goes inside for 5 minutes*

*Comes back outside*
*Sky literally looks like the world's ending; black clouds, rain, wind going 100 mph; Basically a tornado.*

"Again; just a normal day."

It has been quite unexceptional 10-18°C in the last weeks (Atlantic island 28°N). Today temps rose to 30° C, tomorrow the same. After that it shall go down to cosy 10-20° C again.

These heat waves are called Calima, very warm air from the Sahara comes over the sea. Dust in suspension limits visibility and high moisture can make life a little sticky for a few days. The moisture is gathered in the way over the say.

Edited by Green Baron

On 7/24/2016 at 2:25 PM, Rainbowtrout said:

It was nearing 35 celcius on Tuesday. Let's hope that it never happens again.

BOI! 95?!?!? I'VE PLAYED FOOTBALL (The kind with battle armor) IN WEATHER HOTTER THAN THAT!

In addition to my weather report for the day, It's pretty normal. It's nearing tornader season though so we'll be getting the closet ready soon

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.