Stock "Fairings" vs Procedural Fairings

On 08/15/2016 at 5:57 AM, AlamoVampire said:

they are impossible to duplicate

Not so. You have to copy them from a part that is attached to them.

Having said that I do not like the stock fairings. Why oh, for the love of Kod, why, do they have a yellow band around them? It's ugly. Very ugly.

Also why the HUGE UGLY fairing bases Squad?? They look crap, get in the way and if you want to use clamshell you cannot hide the fairing base..

I was, and continue to be very unimpressed with Squads fairings.

46 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

Not so. You have to copy them from a part that is attached to them.

I think he meant via symmetry. It's so, so irritating when the fairing problems are just rubbed into my face during those times.

Having said that I do not like the stock fairings. Why oh, for the love of Kod, why, do they have a yellow band around them? It's ugly. Very ugly.

Who thought of adding a yellow band to the texture? It looks like trash. I like the fairings for their customizability, but come on.

Also, I really think they could use a "Smoothing" option for the fairings. They look like they were shaped from MSPaint's Line Tool.

Also why the HUGE UGLY fairing bases Squad?? They look crap, get in the way and if you want to use clamshell you cannot hide the fairing base..

Preach, brother. They had, just HAD to make it larger than it's supposed diameter, which goes in the way when you want to hide it. And even then, it looks like it was straight out of a construction site! I do not want that base visible in my rockets, yet there's little I can do to make it disappear from view.

15 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

@metl The bottom true bottom line is: 1. Stock fairings explode which is ugly. Period. 2. Stock is non intuitive. 3. Stock do not remember deploy preference between confetti or clam. 4. Stock is too limited in size.

5. Procedural is aesthetically pleasing. 6. Procedural is intuitive. 7. Procedural deploys only clam style, petal count tbd by user. 8. Procedural is NOT limited in size until you reach 50 METERS WIDE AT BASE and can go exceptionally tall. 

9. Stock is limited to conical only unless you have unlimited patience. 

10. Procedural isnt. Conical? Check. Egg shaped? Check.

this limited list makes Procedural superior. Fact is fact. Opinion cant change fact.

You do know stock fairings do have more customizability over Procedural fairings. You can make shapes using stock fairings that you can't in other mods. I can argue that that aspect makes stock superior in terms of how "limited" you are.

Also, about 1. Stock fairings can or can not explode. 2. Care to elaborate about that? 3. I'll give you that. 4. Care to elaborate? Stock is pretty lenient on fairing limits, if you're talking about creative potential. 5. I agree 100% with that. 6. It can be argued that it is easier for a player to figure out that, for a fairing to be built, he has to click multiple times, rather than knowing how to install eggshell/conical fairings.. Or it can be the other way around.

9 and 10 are practically the same, might have wanted that to be put in one point instead?

I do have a passionate hatred for some aspects of the stock fairings, but I'd pick it over Procedural any day.

18 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

@metl The bottom true bottom line is: 1. Stock fairings explode which is ugly. Period. 2. Stock is non intuitive. 3. Stock do not remember deploy preference between confetti or clam. 4. Stock is too limited in size.

5. Procedural is aesthetically pleasing. 6. Procedural is intuitive. 7. Procedural deploys only clam style, petal count tbd by user. 8. Procedural is NOT limited in size until you reach 50 METERS WIDE AT BASE and can go exceptionally tall. 

9. Stock is limited to conical only unless you have unlimited patience. 

10. Procedural isnt. Conical? Check. Egg shaped? Check.

this limited list makes Procedural superior. Fact is fact. Opinion cant change fact.

1. clamshell is a togglable after we nagged enough. right click a built stock fairing in the vab sometime, there are a good options.  you can even change the number of wedges and the ejection force. I am quite pleased.
2. Nice opinion, bro.
3. I mean is that so? I change it in the VAB and save and have had no problems.
4. Nice opinion, bro.
5. Nice opinion, bro.
6. Nice opinion, bro.
7. Then stock has more options, as you can still use the exploding potato chip bag deployment if you want, as well as clamshell. And you can determines the number of wedges too, so...
8. Ok so they can be bigger, I suggest Squad increase the maz size of the fairings to sate you.
9. Saying "unless" means that you can in fact make them conical. I do when I play.
10. I think what #10 is saying is that you can do conical OR egg shaped, just like in stock, so I'm not sure why that's in there.

Your limited list is half opinion, half not understanding that the stock variant does infact have certain options.

Edited by r4pt0r