The Great Star Fleet Bandwagon of 2016

c6BZP9L.png

I maid dis

Absolutely does not work without KJR or hack gravity. Otherwise its completely stock besides the warp drive. Impulse engine are balanced perfectly and main engine are just there for show. They do work though and it has a ton of fuel. Nacelles are EXTREMELY wobbly. I don't know how i can stiffen them. 

I don't care that i am the only one active in this topic. I just want to keep it alive. I hope more people will find it. Plus i like sharing my cool creations.

@Azimech That was fast

1 minute ago, Gman_builder said:

Cool thanks! What are you working on now?

I want to finalize a lot of projects that have been lying on the shelf for months, tedious stuff like writing manuals, balancing etc ... so I can't really say it's this or that :-)

Just now, Azimech said:

I want to finalize a lot of projects that have been lying on the shelf for months, tedious stuff like writing manuals, balancing etc ... so I can't really say it's this or that :-)

Oh. Sounds boring :P 

Welp, cant wait for you to get back in the action. Your kinda like a big influencing factor on this forum. So if you like a topic everybody likes a topic.

22 minutes ago, Gman_builder said:

Oh. Sounds boring :P 

Welp, cant wait for you to get back in the action. Your kinda like a big influencing factor on this forum. So if you like a topic everybody likes a topic.

I don't think I have that much influence, but thanks :-)

Prototype warp nacelles

GKqe95V.pngsbzmmXq.jpg

I really think they're too small, and I have no idea how I'm going to achieve the blue lighting on the sides (top/bottoms?) of the nacelles. Hell, I don't even think the method I used to build these things is very smart anyway, I may completely redo them.

Just in case somebody hasn't noticed, the warp nacelles on the Constellation class appear to be the exact same as those on the USS Enterprise-A, except there are four here.

I'm also still at a loss regarding how to light the impulse engines. @Azimech, would you be so kind as to share some of your wisdom for the good of all involved in the Bandwagon?

On 29-8-2016 at 0:37 AM, pTrevTrevs said:

Prototype warp nacelles

I really think they're too small, and I have no idea how I'm going to achieve the blue lighting on the sides (top/bottoms?) of the nacelles. Hell, I don't even think the method I used to build these things is very smart anyway, I may completely redo them.

Just in case somebody hasn't noticed, the warp nacelles on the Constellation class appear to be the exact same as those on the USS Enterprise-A, except there are four here.

I'm also still at a loss regarding how to light the impulse engines. @Azimech, would you be so kind as to share some of your wisdom for the good of all involved in the Bandwagon?

I'll come back to this, after work.

Edited by Azimech

On 29-8-2016 at 0:37 AM, pTrevTrevs said:

Prototype warp nacelles

GKqe95V.pngsbzmmXq.jpg

Here's an image of what I always try to do:

AnQoPWK.png

In this case it's the Excelsior impulse engines. The red line is a reflective surface. Radiator panels are excellent for being thin, easy to hide the elements you don't want to see. Light number 1 is a MK2, wide angle light. I always prefer it to have lights close to the part I want to give the illusion ... in this case I experimented with it and it kills the clean lines of the impulse assembly, from the side it looks horrible. So I removed number one and gave number two a command: MK1 spotlight embedded in the secondary hull. It gives a little bit light bleed on the underside of the impulse assembly but it's not much. Let's call it "residual radiation".

I have lots of examples, here's the Reliant.

mbcATOY.png

I don't even remember at the moment how I exactly did it but it's all trickery. You'll notice the warp deflection crystal, that's probably a spotlight aiming straight down from the torpedo assembly. Something my TMP Connie doesn't have. The Excelsior has one (two), due to the much larger scale.

The warp nacelles: the same technique can be used but with larger scales it looks a bit goofy. Making them hollow with a grid is the way to go then.

Here's my solution for a future TMP Connie:

sJdmUkh.png

Problem with this method is it's difficult to get an even glow over large distances and you need a lot of MK2's. But hey, there's only so much you can do in stock :-)

Edited by Azimech

17 hours ago, Azimech said:

Here's an image of what I always try to do:

(snip)

Thanks, I'm already brainstorming for ways to adapt this to the Stargazer! The warp nacelles shouldn't be too hard, as far as I can tell they're the exact same the Enterprise-A has anyway, so I can use the technique displayed here. The impulse engines may be a little tricky due to the pylons threatening to get in the way but I think I can find a workaround (it's what engineers do, after all).

Is anyone else planning on using the Alcubierre Warp Drive to make their ships warp capable or is it just not practical for some reason or another? I've never used it before, so I don't know much about how it works.

1 hour ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Thanks, I'm already brainstorming for ways to adapt this to the Stargazer! The warp nacelles shouldn't be too hard, as far as I can tell they're the exact same the Enterprise-A has anyway, so I can use the technique displayed here. The impulse engines may be a little tricky due to the pylons threatening to get in the way but I think I can find a workaround (it's what engineers do, after all).

Is anyone else planning on using the Alcubierre Warp Drive to make their ships warp capable or is it just not practical for some reason or another? I've never used it before, so I don't know much about how it works.

Using that thing is ridiculously easy, it's more like flicking a switch in a runabout than anything technical like maintaining intermix ratio's and maintaining coolant levels like Tripp did on the NX-01.

3 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

I have had a warp drive in the Kelvin since the beginning. I had to edit the config a little bit with the help of @Azimech but it works flawlessly. A very cool affect i might add.

Even though the Excelsior will be downloadable on a vanilla system, I've decided that if anyone actually wants to use it, it's gonna require Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - besides obvious mods like impulse/warp drive/weapons. This will shave off a few hundred struts and increase performance a lot while getting rid of the wobble which otherwise wouldn't disappear even with 500 struts. Besides, I'm getting database errors with my ship and need to redesign some parts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.