The v1.2 Hype Train Thread - Prerelease is Out

Whirligig Girl

2 hours ago, Alshain said:

It takes away gameplay.  If I wanted the game to play the game for me, I would go play Orbiter.

I want the possibility that I will screw up and deploy the parachutes at the wrong time, a game with no challenge isn't much of a game.

To each his own. But I should note that getting new players to enjoy the game tends to be a priority if they want to keep getting new players into the game. KSP relies almost entirely on new players for funding, as it's not subscription based or anything like that.

. . . and even subscription based games tend to have some turnover, and need to bring in new players all the time.

Parachutes are something that players encounter pretty early, and the less friction in the early part of the game, the better. Also, there are plenty of realism mods for players who really want to crank up the challenge, so I'm not terribly worried about veterans going away because parachutes are a bit easier.

I've played several long-term games like World of Warcraft, some older MMOs, and World of Tanks. There is always a tension between appealing to new players, appealing to players who want things easier, and appealing players who want to crank up the challenge. It happens in any game that lasts a decent amount of time.

I think KSP is in a decent spot. New players can start with a pretty good base game, players who want things easier can grab MechJeb, and players who want a challenge can grab some realism mods. You can even mix and match automation with realism, if you want (NASA does a lot of automation anyways, so it's not unrealistic to use some automation).

There's plenty of room for everybody. :)

@CobraA1 No offense meant, but that is a terrible justification.  If parachutes being manually deployed would chase away new players we wouldn't be talking here right now.  It's funny how KSP hasn't had any trouble with getting new players in the past, if parachutes are such a big issue.

28 minutes ago, Badie said:

mmmm ... maybe something interesting in today's Stream by the Devs on Twitch at 20:00 UTC ??? But don't tell anyone I told you this :confused:

UTC is the same as GMT according to Google, which means that it happened 16 minutes ago... Unless my computer is an hour ahead. :S

40 minutes ago, Badie said:

mmmm ... maybe something interesting in today's Stream by the Devs on Twitch at 20:00 UTC ??? But don't tell anyone I told you this :confused:

the HYPE train just got some more SRBs attached!!

7 minutes ago, Temeter said:

THATS WRONG. IT IS...

T-38 minutes

More like T-30 now......

2 minutes ago, Alshain said:

If parachutes being manually deployed would chase away new players we wouldn't be talking here right now. 

It's not a black and white thing . . . it's a spectrum. Even Hearthstone, which is very easy to get into for a CCG, and is also an incredibly popular game, has made many quality of life improvements and done plenty of things to try to draw in new players.

. . . and I do understand that parachutes deploying is a small thing. But, if given the choice as a game designer, I'd go along the path of tweaking things to improve the quality of life for players.

7 minutes ago, Alshain said:

It's funny how KSP hasn't had any trouble with getting new players in the past

People who already have the game don't need to buy it again. This leads to market saturation, and one way to get new players is to appeal more broadly.

That said, the educational aspect of KSP is also an important part of the game, as young people becoming old enough to play KSP is likely a way to maintain some revenue. I do hope that KSP maintains its educational roots.

17 minutes ago, SmashingKirby148 said:

UTC is the same as GMT according to Google, which means that it happened 16 minutes ago... Unless my computer is an hour ahead. :S

That's correct, barring a technicality or two.  But the UK is currently on daylight saving (British Summer Time) so it's an hour ahead (UTC /GMT +1)

Just now, SmashingKirby148 said:

Huh. Alright then.

Eh, it's not that complicated. UTC is always the same, but UK and western europe still got daylight saving times.

Although it might well be that we'd better of without, but that's an entirely different matter. :wink:

Just now, SmashingKirby148 said:

Huh. Alright then.

No problem, it's a bit of pain changing all the clocks forwards an hour in March, then back again in October, I've been know to be an hour early because I forgot to change em!  Didn't realise till I was halfway to where I was going.  Yeah it's probably a bit out dated now, but radio controlled clocks are real bonus :D.

Just now, pandaman said:

No problem, it's a bit of pain changing all the clocks forwards an hour in March, then back again in October, I've been know to be an hour early because I forgot to change em!  Didn't realise till I was halfway to where I was going.  Yeah it's probably a bit out dated now, but radio controlled clocks are real bonus :D.

Yeah, it's very confusing. But to be honest, after watching Vsauces How the Earth moves video, I can kind of understand why it's like that xD