Update 1.2 Pre-release is here!

Darth Badie

2 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

There will not be any upgrades to 1.1. 1.2 is the next version. So in short, it's all or nothing.

But it's very likely you can disable whatever it is you don't want in 1.2.

Thanks for the info. I wouldn't mind new features, but waiting for all the mods to be updated for 1.2 will be hard :)

Hi, could you please help me to figure out CommNet options in KSP? I'm making a simple calculator because being lazy calculating values every time. Here are settings and how I understand them:

1. Range Modifier: a multiplier for calculated signal range, i.e. 0.5 means range will be halved.
  2. DSN Modifier (0-100). I'm kinda puzzled here, what does it do? does it affect signal strength of ground DSN?
  3. Occlusion: defines how signal bypasses objects, does not affect range.

Please help :)

Well done, SQUAD !

I consider myself stingy with compliments, but from a short look into 1.2pre (career until mun-flyby) i have a good impression.

The game seems to be stable (Linux), small improvements that i enjoyed in the short time:

- Orbit lines and ui-fonts are more eyefriendly (for those of us who wear glasses for reading)

- SAS isn't wobbling any more and sucking batteries empty during reentry

- Craft really holds retrograde and not 5-10 degrees off

I encountered a few very minor graphics glitches (z-fighting of lines in VAB, missing texture on airshield after stack separation) ... just cacahuetes :-)

55 minutes ago, cran said:

Will there be an update for the 1.1 branch with just the bugfixes (esp. wheels...)? Or is the upgrade all or nothing?

no there will not be a patch for 1.1.3 there will just be the 1.2. but its worth the wait . 

1 hour ago, cran said:

Will there be an update for the 1.1 branch with just the bugfixes (esp. wheels...)? Or is the upgrade all or nothing?

It is notable that 1.2 includes a Unity patch. Thus, it would be difficult to sequester the bugfixes away from everything else, as many (esp. wheels) depend upon the new Unity to function. It would be more reasonable if 1.2 was primarily a content update a la 1.0.5, but this is not the case.

I hope there is some comprehensive documentation when 1.2 mets released- there are so many amazing gameplay tweaks and features being added at every turn it is cat-wrangling difficult to keep up. I feel 1.2 is going to be a "Major" release in terms of KSP going to the next level, Squad is crushing it.

Edited by Waxing_Kibbous

25 minutes ago, dark jam said:

How do you lock your camera on to a part 

I have advanced tweakables on but all i get is autostrut 

Please help i would love to be able to do this

Hi dark jam, it's been temporarily disabled for a mo in the 1.2 pre-release, from the patch notes:  

Build 1494

• TEMPORARILY disable aim-camera-at-part functionality until we can fix its issues.  

Its now Build 1500, but i updated and its still off for now. 

Id just like to add thanks to the staff too, i started a new career in 1.2 pre, and i'm loving it even more now! 

I'm pretty much back to the level i was in 1.1.3, lots of great new parts and features, and loads of new info in the in-game wiki ! :)

Cheers all,

J

37 minutes ago, JP76 said:

Hi dark jam, it's been temporarily disabled for a mo in the 1.2 pre-release, from the patch notes:  

Build 1494

• TEMPORARILY disable aim-camera-at-part functionality until we can fix its issues.  

Id just like to add thanks to the staff too, i started a new career in 1.2 pre, and i'm loving it even more now! 

I'm pretty much back to the level i was in 1.1.3, lots of great new parts and features, and loads of new info in the in-game wiki ! :)

Cheers all,

J

K thanks could you also send me a link to the changelog from 1.1.3 if you have it

6 hours ago, dark jam said:

How do you lock your camera on to a part 

5 hours ago, JP76 said:

Build 1494

In the meantime, you can get much of the same functionality using the Camera Focus Changer mod. It's already been updated for 1.2

Edited by JAFO

12 hours ago, Fogged said:

Hi, could you please help me to figure out CommNet options in KSP? I'm making a simple calculator because being lazy calculating values every time. Here are settings and how I understand them:

1. Range Modifier: a multiplier for calculated signal range, i.e. 0.5 means range will be halved.
  2. DSN Modifier (0-100). I'm kinda puzzled here, what does it do? does it affect signal strength of ground DSN?
  3. Occlusion: defines how signal bypasses objects, does not affect range.

Please help :)

You can find 8 pages of documentation on the CommNet here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Tu3KnB1alOMn_VXqF31BPDbAu24HdHLiYP2V1I6b6pU/

In the new 1500 build I'm having a heck of a time with maneuver nodes.

Several times I've placed a maneuver node to build an intercept with the Mun (which i've done 100's of times). I'll prograde out to around 860-875DV and move the node back and forth along my orbit and it just won't show an intercept - the projected orbit passes right through the area I'd expect to intercept the Mun and the plot looks like the Mun and it's SOI don't even exist.

Are others seeing this too?

Edited by tjt

20 minutes ago, tjt said:

Several times I've placed a maneuver node to build an intercept with the Mun (which i've done 100's of times). I'll prograde out to around 860-875DV and move the node back and forth along my orbit and it just won't show an intercept - the projected orbit passes right through the area I'd expect to intercept the Mun and the plot looks like the Mun and it's SOI don't even exist.

I've seen this just once. Not sure whether it was with 1494 or 1500 though. And yep, it was like the Mun's SOI didn't exist.

In my case, I reverted to launch and tried again, and things were fine.

Just now, JAFO said:

I've seen this just once. Not sure whether it was with 1494 or 1500 though. And yep, it was like the Mun's SOI didn't exist.

In my case, I reverted to launch and tried again, and things were fine.

I even loaded a save prior to the launch and re-launched with the same problem. Tried quitting and restarting several time - probably tried a half dozen ways to reload/restart and still had it

2 hours ago, tjt said:

Had that too in .1500 linux last night, also did a restart of the game which didn't solve it. ship was in kerbin orbit so i did F5 and sent the ship anyway, guestimated the intercept point. After timewarp when the ship came in Mun SOI the intercept trajectories appeared.

Next ship i sent to the mun in the same session didn't have the problem and the intercept appeared as expected when setting the maneuver point.

no idea how to replicate this behavior.

6 hours ago, JAFO said:

You can find 8 pages of documentation on the CommNet here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Tu3KnB1alOMn_VXqF31BPDbAu24HdHLiYP2V1I6b6pU/

Thank you, but I already read this document and learned how to calculate antenna range with "normal" settings. However, it doesn't explain settings, except Occlusion (a bit). I did some testing and figured that Range Modifier affects all antennas, relays and DSN.

The formula (from document + modifier) seems pretty much accurate, at least if DSN range option remains default: SQRT(antenna_1_power * antenna_2_power) * range_modifier

I'm going to try playing with DSN modifier option today, my guess that it is similar to Range Modifier but only affects ground DSN.

Edited by Fogged

3 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Something I don't like is that the signals from ground stations go through the ground. Is there any way I can change that so they can't go through the ground at all?

I think it is controlled by Occlusion option in Advanced settings, when you create a profile.

12 minutes ago, Fogged said:

I think it is controlled by Occlusion option in Advanced settings, when you create a profile.

Yeah I've messed around with that, but it's really confusing. I'll have to mess around with it more. Or do you have any ideas? In particular, to slide the sliders left or right to achieve the goal. I'm not really sure.

1 minute ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Yeah I've messed around with that, but it's really confusing. I'll have to mess around with it more. Or do you have any ideas? In particular, to slide the sliders left or right to achieve the goal. I'm not really sure.

Try setting VAC/ASL occlusion to 1 (should be far-right position of sliders)

1 hour ago, TheEpicSquared said:

"Occlusion" is "How much the planet blocks the signal." So you want 100%, or 1.0 in your persistent file here:

CommNetParams
		{
			requireSignalForControl = False
			rangeModifier = 1
			DSNModifier = 1
			occlusionMultiplierVac = 0.9
			occlusionMultiplierAtm = 0.75
			enableGroundStations = True
		}

Where I have 0.9 and 0.75 (the defaults)