Does mk1 structural fuelsage work as a cargo bay

rdem

I remember seeing Kerbals and other fun things being shot out of them... Does that help? But, if you put something within it. Not sure if it would be protected from windage and heat effects. Only thing that might be likely is... Not being able to get any science from them or restore them with out mlp or storage container as well as adding short kut to transfer science.

4 hours ago, Aragosnat said:

I remember seeing Kerbals and other fun things being shot out of them... Does that help? But, if you put something within it. Not sure if it would be protected from windage and heat effects. Only thing that might be likely is... Not being able to get any science from them or restore them with out mlp or storage container as well as adding short kut to transfer science.

Yes you can make an cannon out of it :)

Now as an service bay,you can not surface attach stuff on walls just the parts at the end and other structures inside. 
My fast test using lots of octagonal struts gave lower speed with them than with an inline battery as dummy weight.  

7 hours ago, rdem said:

Fairings and cargo/service bays reduce/neglect the drag of the things inside it. If you put something in a mk1 empty fuelsage does this also happen.

Objects inside the structural fuselage have drag applied to them, just as if they were outside in the airstream.  I just built a plane and checked with AeroGUI.  This would be a good feedback submission on the bug tracker - no reason it shouldn't behave like a cargo bay for drag purposes.

5 hours ago, fourfa said:

Can't.  You can just store stuff like batteries, fuel and fuel cells, RTGs, maybe science experiments?

Or using KIS,

Nowadays, standard deliveries for me involve slicing the payload out of middle of the craft, then putting the nose and tail parts together and flying the resulting caricature to the junkyard.

9 hours ago, fourfa said:

Objects inside the structural fuselage have drag applied to them, just as if they were outside in the airstream.  I just built a plane and checked with AeroGUI.  This would be a good feedback submission on the bug tracker - no reason it shouldn't behave like a cargo bay for drag purposes.

Personally, I'd prefer it if it was a cargo bay.

29 minutes ago, fourfa said:

OK?  we do already have a 1.25m cargo bay; I'm just reporting how it is.  If you want it different, submit a feedback report on the tracker.  The devs don't read these forums.

We do?  I've seen a 1.25m Service Bay, but not a Cargo Bay in stock.

I would very much like a size 1 cargo bay.

I'm currently working on a minimal plane for Laythe. Trying to make it as light as I can while stuffing as much science on it as I can. Any way I slice it, I need two service bays and they just look dopey. :P

Two mods cover both issues. FAR solve bug issue. B9 aerospace already have 1.25m cargo bay. Created some aircraft that allow to enter/exit from Mk1 cockpit trough backdoor connected with MK1 cargo bay. Looked nice, it is easeier to hide that retractable ladder and you don't need to attach two ladders to keep propr weight balance.

2 hours ago, panzer1b said:

MK1 structural fuselage does not shield anything inside it (in terms of aero), it does protect from heating though.

Oh that's interesting - I never thought to check that.  Hm

15 hours ago, panzer1b said:

MK1 structural fuselage does not shield anything inside it (in terms of aero), it does protect from heating though.

I'm curious about that.  I radially attached a Mk 0 RCS tank, probe core, and battery to the side of the Mk 1 Structural Fuselage and then clipped them inside.  They don't poke out anywhere, so why wouldn't they be safe from aero effects?  If it doesn't protect from aero, how does it protect from heating?

I tried clipping them up and in from the end node, but that results in a weak 0.625m connection to the rest of the 1.25m parts.  Highly undesirable.

The Mk1 Fuselage does not have ModuleCargoBay, so it will not shield anything from the airstream.

@HalcyonSon KSP only tries to detect if a part is shielded by another part if something tells it to specifically.  Stock aero is not smart enough to know that just because something is "inside" another part, it shouldn't have aero forces applied.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.