[1.8] EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements [1.8.0-2]

Waz

3 hours ago, fireblade274 said:

It's still listed as incompatible in CKAN; does it still work regardless?

You're welcome to report it to the NetKAN guys - I would, but I haven't even downloaded 1.2.2 yet.

On 12/8/2016 at 1:07 AM, edrobotguy said:

I have a similar problem to Decus91.  After reading through this part of the thread, I downloaded the latest version of the BoulderCo and EnvironmetalVisualEnhancements mods and installed them (correctly!) in the GameData folder of a unmodded version of KSP 1.2.1.  I also installed ModuleManager 2.7.3., which I already had.  At the end of the loading screen ModuleManager said 0 mods installed.

I tried again with a new copy of ModuleManager 2.7.5.  Nope.  Tried again without any ModuleManager.  Nope.  Still no clouds, no response from Alt-0.

Is there some main graphics setting in the game that needs to be set for this mod to work that I may have changed?  Or is this mod just not playing nice with ModuleManager?  Is my computer a piece of crap?  Does the problem lie between the keyboard and the chair?  Is there a corrupted file in GitHub?

So, curiouser and curiouser.  I downloaded KSP 1.2.2 and then tried again, with just EVE and Boulder Co and MM 2.7.5.  and now there's clouds.  I guess Squad nudged something in their code between 1.2.0 and 1.2.1 that made this mod not happy, and then they changed something else between 1.2.1 and 1.2.2 and now EVE is happy again.

1 hour ago, edrobotguy said:

I guess Squad nudged something in their code between 1.2.0 and 1.2.1 that made this mod not happy, and then they changed something else between 1.2.1 and 1.2.2 and now EVE is happy again.

EVE works/worked perfectly in KSP 1.2.1. In fact it has operated as advertised for all KSP 1.2 releases so far without a hitch (and better than the previous KSP 1.1 releases).

On 12/13/2016 at 1:12 PM, Phineas Freak said:

EVE works/worked perfectly in KSP 1.2.1. In fact it has operated as advertised for all KSP 1.2 releases so far without a hitch (and better than the previous KSP 1.1 releases).

Not for me and at least one other person up thread.  All that I changed was going from KSP 1.2.1 to KSP 1.2.2.  

It's such a rare error that I think the problem is not with this mod at all.  Instead, I suspect I may have gotten a corrupted file when I downloaded KSP 1.2.1., or something in that download was saved to a bad sector on my disk.  Installing the exact same mod (I keep extracted zip files of mods in a separate folder before copying them to Gamedata) in 1.2.2. gave me the desired clouds and city lights.

• 2 weeks later...

What things can I change about the volumetric clouds in order to make them less dense and get more performance? I already lowered the distance but it isn't enough I just want it to be less dense and letting not so little distance because that makes them dissapear abruptly. I am using the Low Resolution pack in SVE.

1 hour ago, Agustin said:

What things can I change about the volumetric clouds in order to make them less dense and get more performance? I already lowered the distance but it isn't enough I just want it to be less dense and letting not so little distance because that makes them dissapear abruptly. I am using the Low Resolution pack in SVE.

You'll want to lower the "area" value of the layerVolume. It is two numbers: the size of the area of clouds generated (default is 24000 - 24km, I believe), and the number of times this areas is recursively subdivided (default is 4). A quick look says SVE uses 4 for all densities - change them all to 3 and see how it looks.

4 hours ago, Waz said:

You'll want to lower the "area" value of the layerVolume. It is two numbers: the size of the area of clouds generated (default is 24000 - 24km, I believe), and the number of times this areas is recursively subdivided (default is 4). A quick look says SVE uses 4 for all densities - change them all to 3 and see how it looks.

All right! Much much better! I'll just play with these numbers now until I get my best configuration, thank you so much. By the way everythings looks fantastic thank you for your effort in making Ksp look much beautiful. Even with my poorly GPU this looks really good. I am also using texture Replacer and everythings looks and works great.

Edited by Agustin

Doing some testing and am curious, is there a way to lessen the abrupt volumetric load in?

If there is a way to make the textures dimmer that might be enough as well (May end up making the textures dimmer), but if there is a way to make the textures fade into view then this wouldn't be nearly as visible. There might be a way already that I don't know of?

6 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Doing some testing and am curious, is there a way to lessen the abrupt volumetric load in?

If there is a way to make the textures dimmer that might be enough as well (May end up making the textures dimmer), but if there is a way to make the textures fade into view then this wouldn't be nearly as visible. There might be a way already that I don't know of?

There are two factors that effect this: layerVolume.visibleRange (default 10000, higher means less popping, lower performance) and _DistFadeVert (default 0.0000825, higher means fade out sooner, no performance difference, but less visible clouds).

12 minutes ago, Waz said:

There are two factors that effect this: layerVolume.visibleRange (default 10000, higher means less popping, lower performance) and _DistFadeVert (default 0.0000825, higher means fade out sooner, no performance difference, but less visible clouds).

Thanks a million :) I'll get back to tinkering. Something big to show off soon...

I think this is the right place to ask something like this...

I'm doing some work on a Kopernicus planet pack and I'm trying to get EVE clouds to work on one of the new planets.  I found another planet pack that does EVE clouds (Extrasolar) and tried to reverse-engineer the configs from that.  My problem is that EVE absolutely will not under any circumstance load my texture, and I have absolutely no idea why.

The config file in question (RogueWorld_EVE.cfg):

EVE_CLOUDS
{
	OBJECT
	{
		name = Shedu_clouds1
		body = Shedu
		altitude = 380000
		speed = 0,20,0
		detailSpeed = 0,6,0
		offset = 0,0,0
		settings
		{
			_MainTex = RogueWorld/KerbolSystem/KopernicusConfigs/Planets/PluginData/clouds/shedu1
			_DetailTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/detail1
			_DetailScale = 120
			_DistFade = 1
			_DistFadeVert = 4E-05
			_Color = 225,5,17,255
			_DetailDist = 2E-06
		}
		layer2D
		{
			shadowMaterial
			{
			}
			macroCloudMaterial
			{
				_FalloffPow = 2
				_FalloffScale = 3
				_DetailDist = 2E-06
				_MinLight = 0.5
				_RimDist = 0.0001
				_RimDistSub = 1.01
				_InvFade = 0.008
			}
		}
		layerVolume
		{
			size = 4000,2
			maxTranslation = 0,100,0
			area = 24000,4
			particleMaterial
			{
				_TopTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/particle/rgb
				_LeftTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/particle/rgb
				_FrontTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/particle/rgb
				_LightScatter = 0.55
				_MinLight = 0.5
				_InvFade = 0.008
			}
		}
	}
}

The relevant error in the output_log:

[EVE CloudsManager]: Unable to parse config node:
OBJECT
{
	offset = 0,0,0
	detailSpeed = 0,6,0
	speed = 0,20,0
	altitude = 380000
	body = Shedu
	name = Shedu_clouds1
	settings
	{
		_DetailDist = 2E-06
		_Color = 225,5,17,255
		_DistFadeVert = 4E-05
		_DistFade = 1
		_DetailScale = 120
		_DetailTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/detail1
		_MainTex = RogueWorld/KerbolSystem/KopernicusConfigs/Planets/PluginData/clouds/shedu1
	}
	layer2D
	{
		shadowMaterial
		{
		}
		macroCloudMaterial
		{
			_InvFade = 0.008
			_RimDistSub = 1.01
			_RimDist = 0.0001
			_MinLight = 0.5
			_DetailDist = 2E-06
			_FalloffScale = 3
			_FalloffPow = 2
		}
	}
	layerVolume
	{
		area = 24000,4
		maxTranslation = 0,100,0
		size = 4000,2
		particleMaterial
		{
			_InvFade = 0.008
			_MinLight = 0.5
			_LightScatter = 0.55
			_FrontTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/particle/rgb
			_LeftTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/particle/rgb
			_TopTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/particle/rgb
		}
	}
}

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

EVEManager: Issue loading CloudsManager! Error:
UnityEngine.UnityException: Unable to apply node! ---> UnityEngine.UnityException: Unable to parse "settings" in "OBJECT"! ---> UnityEngine.UnityException: Unable to parse 

"_MainTex" in "settings"!
  at Utils.ConfigHelper.LoadObjectFromConfig (System.Object obj, .ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Utils.ConfigHelper.Parse (System.Reflection.FieldInfo field, System.Object& obj, System.String[] value, .ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Utils.ConfigHelper.LoadObjectFromConfig (System.Object obj, .ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
  at Atmosphere.CloudsObject.LoadConfigNode (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Atmosphere.CloudsManager.ApplyConfigNode (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EVEManager.EVEManagerBase.Apply () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
  at EVEManager.EVEManagerBase.Apply () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EVEManager.EVEManagerBase.LoadConfig () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EVEManager.GenericEVEManager`1[T].Setup () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EVEManager.GlobalEVEManager.Setup (Boolean late) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

It seems to be having trouble with my file path for the _MainTex field, but I don't know why.  I've double and triple checked that this file path is valid - it points to a standard 2048x1024 png image texture.  I have tried replacing it with a dds image with the same error, and the config file I've been using for reference uses the same syntax as I have (starting with gamedata subfolder, ending with texture image name without file extension).  Frankly, I'm completely at a loss, and I was hoping someone here would be willing to point out the extremely obvious error that I'm sure I'm missing.

Oh, and, in case it's relevant, this is on a fresh install of 1.2.2, with only the latest version of EVE, Kopernicus, KittopiaTech, and the work-in-progress planet pack.

Edited by narhiril
minor text fixes

3 hours ago, narhiril said:

EVE_CLOUDS
{
	OBJECT
	{
		settings
		{
			_MainTex = RogueWorld/KerbolSystem/KopernicusConfigs/Planets/PluginData/clouds/shedu1.png
			_DetailTex = BoulderCo/Atmosphere/Textures/detail1.png
		}
	}
}

ending with texture image name without file extension

That's your issue. Texture filename paths require a file extension. The same goes with the volumetric particle texture paths too.

20 hours ago, Poodmund said:

That's your issue. Texture filename paths require a file extension. The same goes with the volumetric particle texture paths too.

Thank you for replying... unfortunately, I'm still unable to get it working.  I've screenshotted the error alongside the file path to the image.  It would make sense if I'd somehow screwed up the file path, but I've checked it probably going on a dozen times now.

Spoiler

25pDEu3.png

Error in the output_log is the same:

EVEManager: Issue loading CloudsManager! Error:
UnityEngine.UnityException: Unable to apply node! ---> UnityEngine.UnityException: Unable to parse "settings" in "OBJECT"! ---> UnityEngine.UnityException: Unable to parse "_MainTex" in "settings"!

...Followed by the same stack trace as before.

12 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

@narhiril are you are modifying the cloud configs by hand? If so i would highly reccommend to not do that and instead build the config(s) using the EVE interface. It is easier and error-proof.

I took your advice and rebuilt the config from scratch in the EVE interface.  Strangely, the EVE UI still could not parse my file path.  On a whim, I decided to move my cloud texture to a different sub-folder and try that.  For some reason, that fixed the issue and EVE could find it all of a sudden.  Things are mostly working now - just have to tweak some settings to get it cleaned up.  Thanks a bunch!

Spoiler

rw71sfi.png

• 2 weeks later...

@Waz do you think it would be possible to implement a way to lock the rotation of clouds layers? For example, i want to lock my Gas Giant  EVE bands to roughly 10 degrees inclination, but they are pretty wobbly when you see them in a time warp. If its too much work, dont worry about it, I was just brainstorming

4 hours ago, Galileo said:

@Waz do you think it would be possible to implement a way to lock the rotation of clouds layers? For example, i want to lock my Gas Giant  EVE bands to roughly 10 degrees inclination, but they are pretty wobbly when you see them in a time warp. If its too much work, dont worry about it, I was just brainstorming

I can take a look. Give me an example of exactly how you'd like the config to be so I get it. Remember, I'm a programmer, I've never written EVE configs myself!

On 12/31/2016 at 9:52 PM, narhiril said:

I took your advice and rebuilt the config from scratch in the EVE interface.  Strangely, the EVE UI still could not parse my file path.  On a whim, I decided to move my cloud texture to a different sub-folder and try that.  For some reason, that fixed the issue and EVE could find it all of a sudden.  Things are mostly working now - just have to tweak some settings to get it cleaned up.  Thanks a bunch!

Reveal hidden contents

rw71sfi.png

I can explain this. It's because you put it in a folder named 'PluginData', KSP doesn't look inside these folders when loading, which is why they are used for Kopernicus' OnDemandLoading. The game itself doesn't load the textures, Kopernicus does.

EVE has no such loader and uses textures already picked up by KSP, therefore don't place them in a folder named PluginData and they should work.

12 hours ago, Galileo said:

Try adding this as a seperate patch after GPP and see if it works.

@EVE_CLOUDS:FOR[GPP]
@OBJECT:HAS[#body[*insert body name*],#offset[*,*]]
	{
	@offset[0] -= *insert inclination*
	@offset[1] -= *insert inclination*
}

Add in the body name and desired inclination angle.

1 hour ago, Poodmund said:

Try adding this as a seperate patch after GPP and see if it works.

@EVE_CLOUDS:FOR[GPP]
@OBJECT:HAS[#body[*insert body name*],#offset[*,*]]
	{
	@offset[0] -= *insert inclination*
	@offset[1] -= *insert inclination*
}

Add in the body name and desired inclination angle.

ok ill give that a try, though i just though about it, wont do me much good because Kopernicus is broken when it comes to locking the inclination of rings so they still wobble

On 1/15/2017 at 0:49 PM, The White Guardian said:

I can explain this. It's because you put it in a folder named 'PluginData', KSP doesn't look inside these folders when loading, which is why they are used for Kopernicus' OnDemandLoading. The game itself doesn't load the textures, Kopernicus does.

EVE has no such loader and uses textures already picked up by KSP, therefore don't place them in a folder named PluginData and they should work.

Thank you, I was wondering what was going on.  I had just been putting them there because that's where all of my textures had been up until this point.  I'm pretty much flying by the seat of my pants with this.

9 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

Just a quick question - is it possible to disable the shadows on clouds? Not the shadows they cast themselves, but the shadow the planet casts on them? I'm trying to simulate glowing cloud layers.

You mean like bio-luminescent clouds? The best way to do that would be to duplicate an aurora config and edit that if you want clouds to glow. It's what I've been doing. Hope this helps?

Edited by Avera9eJoe

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.