srbs with gimbal

Rule 34 of KSP:
If it exists there is a mod for it. No exceptions.

Rule 35 of KSP:
If there is no mod for it, a mod will be made for it.

Dang ninja'd. But, if you are feeling ambitious adding these lines

MODULE
 {
  name = ModuleGimbal
  gimbalTransformName = thrustTransform
  gimbalRange = 3
 }

to any of the SRBs will give it the same gimbal range as Swivel.

1 minute ago, steuben said:

Rule 34 of KSP:
If it exists there is a mod for it. No exceptions.

Rule 35 of KSP:
If there is no mod for it, a mod will be made for it.

Dang ninja'd. But, if you are feeling ambitious adding these lines

MODULE
 {
  name = ModuleGimbal
  gimbalTransformName = thrustTransform
  gimbalRange = 3
 }

to any of the SRBs will give it the same gimbal range as Swivel.

but it won't look like it had gimbal

Something along similar lines that I would like is the ability to pre-set an origin direction for the SRB's thrust vector. This would be particularly nice for asymmetrical vehicles (like most space shuttles), because rather than angling the entire SRB, you could just change the initial thrust vector in the VAB so that the overall thrust goes through the center of mass. Some in-flight gimballing would also be nice, because it would help this sort of design to remain stable in flight.

4 minutes ago, eloquentJane said:

Something along similar lines that I would like is the ability to pre-set an origin direction for the SRB's thrust vector. This would be particularly nice for asymmetrical vehicles (like most space shuttles),

also rocket engines should be able to do this. It's like trim but not for all craft, just some engines.

1 hour ago, rdem said:

also rocket engines should be able to do this. It's like trim but not for all craft, just some engines.

The reason I specifically want it as an option for SRBs is because liquid fuelled rockets are a single part independent of their fuel tanks, which can be angled independently with the rotation tool, whereas solid fuelled rocket motors are attached to the fuel tank, so if you want to angle them you also have to angle the whole tank.

9 hours ago, Benji13 said:

I think it would be good if higher end (late tech) SRB's had gimbals but the early ones didn't. And not too much gimbal mind you. Just a bit to stop your shuttle replica from flipping. 

So... pretty much all the gimbal, then?

Or it just might be me building terrible shuttle replicas.

I support this, especially for the largest SRB since those are quite popular for shuttles and the gimbaling would really make a big difference in performance.  Its not like it will make or break the game, but itd save us crazy design builders a few headaches and it isnt like itd make SRBs the go-to engine for everything either.  You would still have to deal with the no throttle or engine cutoff so they would be ill suited for space travel or anything besides launching craft into orbit (lower stages), and or kinetic weapons (a RT-5 rammed up the right spot on a capital ship tends to tear it apart)...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.