BDAc Challenges: You're Surrounded

The premise is simple ... Destroy Team B in one mission with extreme prejudice

There are 2 floating Jernas Turrets just off the coast of the KSC. There are also 3 ground based Jernas Turrets located to the North, West and South of the KSC as well as one AI Drone at the Island Airport ... All the Jernas Turrets are armed with 4 AMRAAM's each

Download the save file, play it, record it or take screenshots and post your results here ... Links to the most notable entries will be posted below in the hall of fame

BDAc is required but any mod is allowed ... you are playing on your system after all :wink:

SAVE FILE: https://www.dropbox.com/s/53iakclr0qdfinn/BDAc Challenge - YOU'RE SURROUNDED.sfs?dl=0

Take a crack at it ... I only managed to take out 3 of the 6 targets with 3 of my Manta GAU's using just BDAc and the Wing Commander module (I highly recommend consulting the in game KSPedia to familiarize yourself with Wing Commander so that you can utilize many craft at once on your attack runs)

HALL OF FAME

@SpannerMonkey(smce) - http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/152608-bdac-challenges-youre-surrounded/&do=findComment&comment=2872781

@Eidahlil - http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/152608-bdac-challenges-youre-surrounded/&do=findComment&comment=2881912

- Your name here

Edited by DoctorDavinci

Any mod is allowed?

Release the TALON.

.eJwNyEEOhCAMAMC_8AAQKFb8DUECJkoJrSfj33f

The F/A-31 TALON was designed originally for my AHWP challenge but has since been retooled and I will attempt to use it for this challenge.

It is capable of carrying 32 PAC-3 intercept missiles.

Also is this challenge 1.1.3 @DoctorDavinci?

Edited by njmksr

2 minutes ago, njmksr said:

Any mod is allowed?

Release the TALON.

The F/A-31 TALON was designed originally for my AHWP challenge but has since been retooled and I will attempt to use it for this challenge.

Also is this challenge 1.1.3?

Unfortunately the save was created in KSP v1.2.1 and I am unsure if it will work for previous versions

3 minutes ago, njmksr said:

Ah

How's that for a behemoth of a fighter, though?

Big fighters are great when they're called for ... I have found that many figthers/drones work best for this challenge 

I highly recommend consulting the in game KSPedia to learn about Wing Commander before attempting this challenge 

6 hours ago, drtricky said:

I'm gonna see if your save file still works in 1.2.1 :wink:

Also, can you provide a list of the frickin' rockin songs you used in that video?

Hey, if you're talking about this challenge, it was made in 1.2.1!!

@DoctorDavinci managed to knock off everything apart from that last one on the mountain top, how the hell do you get to that one?  none of the usual methods can target the spot, you can't set WC to fly to or target as it sees right through the mountain and targets the next valley,  the WM also has trouble picking up the target, seems to simply not recognize it as a valid target. I'll see if i can repeat with the video evidence today ( will need some serious editing though as it's a long process).  In the end I used my top gun challenge draft and 3 of the BD AI demo  craft,  all survived until the mountain target ,, at which point two of them flew into the mountain side :)

On 11/30/2016 at 6:56 PM, njmksr said:

Any mod is allowed?

Release the TALON.

Also is this challenge 1.1.3 @DoctorDavinci?

#moarmissles #talonforpres2016 #idontknowhowtousehashtagslel

@SpannerMonkey(smce) - try approaching it from the west

10 hours ago, drtricky said:

I'm gonna see if your save file still works in 1.2.1 :wink:

Also, can you provide a list of the frickin' rockin songs you used in that video?

The save was made in 1.2.1 ... as for the songs, they come from youtubes audio repository 

Not sure what their names are

11 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hey, if you're talking about this challenge, it was made in 1.2.1!!

@DoctorDavinci managed to knock off everything apart from that last one on the mountain top, how the hell do you get to that one?  none of the usual methods can target the spot, you can't set WC to fly to or target as it sees right through the mountain and targets the next valley,  the WM also has trouble picking up the target, seems to simply not recognize it as a valid target. I'll see if i can repeat with the video evidence today ( will need some serious editing though as it's a long process).  In the end I used my top gun challenge draft and 3 of the BD AI demo  craft,  all survived until the mountain target ,, at which point two of them flew into the mountain side :)

So I've been trying to give the mountain Jernas Turret a smackdown but I am unable to do it either ... Seems that the default altitude is coming into play here as well as a potential bug being found in the Wing Commander module since I cannot attack the mountaintop like you were saying

I think the WC module is getting it's coordinates from a set altitude that is well below the top of the mountain ... Kinda explains how sometimes the green diamond cursor appears to be under the surface of where I am targeting

I have completed this challenge,  by destroying or causing the destruction of all targets....  strangely  worded for reasons I'll give in a mo,   I have also recorded it, but my first cack handed attempts to edit it down to a more watchable length than 43 minutes resulted in the edit becoming deranged somehow :huh:    

So on to the wording ,   i can claim 4 honest kills,  but the two at higher elevations i believe that although they were being attacked, it was not my aircraft that destroyed them!  The lower of the two mountain emplacements fired two missiles at my drones and while attempting to fire a third ,either the missile was launched into the terrain or hit the terrain soon after launch ( too long a drop time perhaps) causing the destruction of the emplacement .  The mountain top turret possibly went the same way,  although i feel this was caused by the attacking aircraft being below the turret causing the first missile to launch into terrain, as we've already established elsewhere, occasionally the WM AI is a dumb as mud!  

So judge that how you will :)   4 aircraft started the challenge, 1 drone was destroyed by the western most floater and the remaining 3 aircraft, two drones and the MK2RB landed back at KSC after the mission.

Wa8IpVE.png  22Xg1YD.png    

nC4P5Lv.pngeyn7kZA.png

GAvfzql.pngWntqpVr.png

10 hours ago, TorchedForever said:

I've been trying my hand at this challenge. My current best is 4 out of 6 but I'm having trouble taking out the highest mountain launcher. Its position makes it very difficult to get the jump on.

Hi, you're not the only one,  don't forget though it doesn't mater how it is destroyed and you can make it destroy itself.  The closer you can get to it before it sees you the easier it is. 

16 hours ago, TorchedForever said:

I've been trying my hand at this challenge. My current best is 4 out of 6 but I'm having trouble taking out the highest mountain launcher. Its position makes it very difficult to get the jump on.

It is difficult but doable ... either come in below the mountain turret and hit it while climbing up (it is hanging on the ledge so you should be able to take it out) or come in from really high and drop down right on top of its head :cool:

On Thursday, December 08, 2016 at 4:21 PM, DarkOwl57 said:

Good luck!

Yup, good luck

I've managed to take out all 6 with 4 craft although only 1 craft made it to the final target but ran outta fuel like the rest before I could get her back to the KSC .... need more fuel :wink:

I'm still a bit of a BDA newbie, so a few questions. :)

Should all my craft have radars, since those are AMRAAM missiles, or is setting myself as Team A and having a weapon manager enough?

I assume the spirit of the challenge is to dodge those missiles, so hitting them with cruise missiles or bombs from the stratosphere is probably not very interesting? Or would the turrets try to shoot the incoming ordinance down?

Is it bad sport to prepare only for the specific threats in the mission and I should try to have a balanced set of countermeasures, or having only chaff (and maybe an ecm) is fine?

I already figured out the turrets don't do anything against smart drones with small warheads if I forget the weapon manager, thought I ask before I execute another mission which will be super effective because the enemy does not do what I think it does. :)

37 minutes ago, Eidahlil said:

I'm still a bit of a BDA newbie, so a few questions. :)

Should all my craft have radars, since those are AMRAAM missiles, or is setting myself as Team A and having a weapon manager enough?

I assume the spirit of the challenge is to dodge those missiles, so hitting them with cruise missiles or bombs from the stratosphere is probably not very interesting? Or would the turrets try to shoot the incoming ordinance down?

Is it bad sport to prepare only for the specific threats in the mission and I should try to have a balanced set of countermeasures, or having only chaff (and maybe an ecm) is fine?

I already figured out the turrets don't do anything against smart drones with small warheads if I forget the weapon manager, thought I ask before I execute another mission which will be super effective because the enemy does not do what I think it does. :)

Anything goes .... destroy team B with extreme predjudice by any means necessary 

3 hours ago, DoctorDavinci said:

. need more fuel 

Yup indeed you do, and thats the secret menace of this challenge, you cover a lot of ground, throw in a good bit of avoidance and you get low on fuel pretty damn quick,  for the two before the mountain top i was down to half throttle to make sure i had enough juice for the climb back up and back to KSC , and if the landing had been on the island instead the chaps would be swimming home again :) 

Stated goal accomplished. Since it did not include 'and survive', I'm hoping it does not matter that I hit the runway too hard. Bob ain't that good at landing, it seems.

Did it in a solo mission, flying a high speed interdictor type aircraft. Not sure if those are the right words to convey "It goes mach 1.5 at half throttle... and has a goalkeeper turret mounted on the bottom".

If somebody wants to take her for a spin, you can: http://kerbalx.com/juzeris/Bright-Screamer

3 hours ago, Eidahlil said:

Stated goal accomplished. Since it did not include 'and survive', I'm hoping it does not matter that I hit the runway too hard. Bob ain't that good at landing, it seems.

Did it in a solo mission, flying a high speed interdictor type aircraft. Not sure if those are the right words to convey "It goes mach 1.5 at half throttle... and has a goalkeeper turret mounted on the bottom".

If somebody wants to take her for a spin, you can: http://kerbalx.com/juzeris/Bright-Screamer

Very nice, love your solution to this challenge

Poor Bob ... he will be remembered with great fondness and we shall honor his memory with more 'splosions and destruction so as to let it be know that his sacrifice was not in vain

All praise Bob ... The bringer of rain :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.