Leveling up Kerbals at Mobile Processing Lab - How to?

Greetings Kerbals!

Guys, I have a Mobile Processing Lab MPL-LG-2. It is orbiting Mun with two level 2 scientists inside. There is also a Pod attached to it with a level 2 pilot.
When I right click the lab, I get the "Level up crew" button. If I click on it, I get the message: "No astronauts onboard are ready to gain experience."
Any ideas on how to use this option? My intention is to have an alternative way to level up my astronauts (all of them, not only scientists), instead of traveling with them around to gain experience.

Thanks a lot and fly safe!

1 hour ago, Lorente said:

Greetings Kerbals!

...My intention is to have an alternative way to level up my astronauts (all of them, not only scientists), instead of traveling with them around to gain experience.

@Lorente

Hi there, your Kerbals still have to do some work to get experience :wink:, the MPL gives the option to level up in situation instead of returning them to the KSC as before build 1.2.
This gets handy when you do a long interplanetary mission, your crew can have their progress awarded during the trip.

This is how it looks when your Kerbals do some stuff in space:

K1qcKJD.png

Edited by Mikki
Pic8D

Kerbals level by flying by, orbiting, landing and planting flags on other bodies (the act of getting each kerbal out of a lander to plant flags for xp is called a flag party).  Once a kerbal has done this once no more experience is granted.  If your MPL is in kerbin orbit and you move it to the Muns orbit your kerbals will gain xp.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2016 at 0:16 PM, James Kerman said:

Kerbals level by flying by, orbiting, landing and planting flags on other bodies (the act of getting each kerbal out of a lander to plant flags for xp is called a flag party).  Once a kerbal has done this once no more experience is granted.  If your MPL is in kerbin orbit and you move it to the Muns orbit your kerbals will gain xp.

Any mods to get rid of the need for flag parties?  That's stupid grind rather than useful gameplay as far as I'm concerned.

9 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

Any mods to get rid of the need for flag parties?  That's stupid grind rather than useful gameplay as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, it's called "KSP 1.2.x" :)

If you plant a flag, all Kerbals in the area get credit for it. This includes Kerbals in nearby (physics range at most, but it may be a smaller distance. I've not tested it) ships.

Edited by 5thHorseman

6 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Yeah, it's called "KSP 1.2.x" :)

If you plant a flag, all Kerbals in the area get credit for it. This includes Kerbals in nearby (physics range at most, but it may be a smaller distance. I've not tested it) ships.

I'm pretty sure the ships have to be landed. Someone passing over in orbit at a 2 km altitude will not get flag credits to the best of my knowledge (they preemptively closed that loophole before some youtuber was going to try it out, I think).

Just now, Kerbart said:

I'm pretty sure the ships have to be landed. Someone passing over in orbit at a 2 km altitude will not get flag credits to the best of my knowledge (they preemptively closed that loophole before some youtuber was going to try it out, I think).

Haha that's awesome. I didn't even think of low orbiting, and figured "in physics range" was enough. So apparently did the first-pass programmer for it :D

Though really, if you can set that up and get it to work you SHOULD get the credit for it!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.