Mission idea: Kerbal Dakar 2017

Triop

1 hour ago, Triop said:

Working hard on the challenge...

Flags are still in the same position, but I had to rename them.

Back to work...

Can I ask what the problem was?  curious to know as DK and i are bashing around in the desert and badlands,  any info on possible issues would be good in advance :)

14 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Can I ask what the problem was?  curious to know as DK and i are bashing around in the desert and badlands,  any info on possible issues would be good in advance :)

Sure, on this picture you can see the stages and there numbers, but the flages were not named that.

The first flag was called start/finish and stage 2 was called stage 1 and so on and so on....

sfX1IYZ.png

I just had to correct it before new players are going to ask me questions about it.

EDIT: It was quite a thing... ^_^

Edited by Triop

48 minutes ago, Triop said:

Ok. I see some people already have stuff on the track, so I guess the old file is still ok to use since the stage positions are the same.

Thanks ... having to replace 100+ objects isn't my favourite idea of wasting my time.

But to be honest ... I was planning to just edit the file XD

11 minutes ago, Triop said:

Sure, on this picture you can see the stages and there numbers, but the flages were not named that.

Just had the same thing laying gates for the DK event, stage 1 is actually start to stage 1 flag,and stage 2 actually starts from the flag called stage 1, I think he;s considering something more durable than flags eventually though, as once it's knocked over it's useless

1 minute ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Just had the same thing laying gates for the DK event, stage 1 is actually start to stage 1 flag,and stage 2 actually starts from the flag called stage 1, I think he;s considering something more durable than flags eventually though, as once it's knocked over it's useless

Mwoah ... if it's visible it's okay. Even if it moves a few feet, you won't really be able to measure it in the total time.

A few feet isn't much concern. Durability is important. I'm working towards extreme portability, facilitating a few other things I have in mind. Id be happy to continue this convo in PM,but nothing is set in stone yet, so I may just answer a question with "..." . Don't want to hijack Triops thread, though. I will start a thread concerning it after this race is under way, and have every intention of maintaining a level of accessibility on par with this event. 

EDIT: the most important thing is a lot is learned from watching, and triop has laid some excellent groundwork for staged rally, here. 

Edited by DrunkenKerbalnaut

15 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

I think he;s considering something more durable than flags eventually though, as once it's knocked over it's useless

Doing that is like hitting a streetlight in the middle of a big empty parking lot... :lol:

Don't think this is going to be easy, expect bumps, hills, drops, mountains.

Study the route you want to take before you start, A to B is never a straight line in the Dakar.

Make your starting screenshot when the clock hits 0 seconds, this will make calculating time easier.

Make sure you will not be disturbed during your attempt.

Put on your favorite music and play it loud, this will keep you focused while driving.

Using this in the challenge, what do you think ?

More tips are welcome !

1 hour ago, Triop said:

Doing that is like hitting a streetlight in the middle of a big empty parking lot... :lol:

I've crashed into the flags more times that I'd like to admit, sometimes the flag just falls over, sometimes it flies off, a couple times it's destroyed my rover! Generally happens at the stage 2....no wait now stage 3 flag; coming up the rise so airbourne as approaching the flag (I keep telling myself not to aim right for it, but I don't seem to listen!).

oh...speaking of being airborne while approaching a flag. yesterday I jumped clear over the flag at the end of stage 2.  Not something I plan on doing, but I didn't brake hard enough in time. But if that was to happen how to time it? Is an aerial finish allowed (counted at the time when directly over the flag) or should I land and turn around and come back to the flag? 

So I thought the old numbering made more sense, Ie with the stage 1 flag at the end of stage 1 so while driving stage 1 you aim for the stage 1 flag. (maybe it's 'cos I'm a coder and we start counting at 0 :wink: ). Anyway the change is fine, I was going to re-deploy my track objects anyway (and I'd not gone Azimech on track objects) so that's no biggie. oh...apart from my very carefully set out stage 5 turn markers, but I can just save file hack those over.

oh and another point to check. Is it ok if spare fuel has been hyper edited out to required positions ahead of time, or would any fuel/repair components need to be taking out normally (ie by rover or plane). 

25 minutes ago, katateochi said:

Is it ok if spare fuel has been hyper edited out to required positions ahead of time, or would any fuel/repair components need to be taking out normally (ie by rover or plane). 

Well, there is no way for me to check is there ?

Go ahead, it's all about how you want to experience the rally.

Some like to go realistic, some don't.

As for numbers:

JZlRGcO.png

I've changed the map a bit to make it more clear.

CTy1nJq.png

I hope everyone gets it.

Edited by Triop

12 hours ago, Sharpy said:

Can't use jet engines pointed upwards to keep self pressed to surface and shorten jumps?

I use a couple of twitches personally and it works very well,  but needs careful setup if it's not to fully compress the suspension, imposes a little extra drag so you lose a few ms but that's a small price to pay for not spending time in the air, it's still advisable to run a boost flap, but you will find you spend less time using it.  I certainly don't think it's a total win as there is an associated weight penalty and the increased fuel consumption, but still a good strategy for those playing the survival rather than speed game

1 hour ago, Triop said:

You realy are planning on doing that ?

be my guest, go a head.

twirls his moustache in a diabolic laughter

"He doesn't know about the jet engine CoM trick. Good." mutters.

As a host I need to prove it can be done, so after 6 horrible attempt, even once getting completely destroyed at the final stage I FINALY DID IT, stage 1 to finish with a stock solar car.

Top speed 45 m/s, average speed 30 m/s.

It also gives me a chance to show you how to submit your rally score, it's a pain to do so study it close.

My score: 02.01.19 (2 hours, 1 minute and 19 seconds)

Spoiler

This is not an official attempt, only an example !

Stage 1

So I forgot to change target to surface setting, showing me the distance and not the speed that should say 0.0 m/s. But you can clearly see the brakes are on. &)

Start:

EVGUaSx.png

Finish:

iw1GoJu.png

Time = 00.15.16

Stage 2

Start:

dttMkzM.png

Finish:

UCCrZOn.png

Time = 00.14.10

Stage 3

Start:

2GAWsds.png

Finish:

O6c8Pt9.png

Time = 00.21.30

Stage 4

Start:

SBZj3CD.png

Finish:

L2Y8QPw.png

Time = 00.18.12

Stage 5

Start:

MyLVG9h.png

Finish:

cTYXGK3.png

Time = 00.18.17

Stage 6

Start:

pSIZje9.png

Finish:

2SW1n5J.png

Time = 00.16.27

Stage 7

Start:

hgKjzUE.png

Finish:

w9qCNLs.png

Time = 00.17.27

Total time: = 02.01.19 (2 hours, 1 minute and 19 seconds)

Edited by Triop