Spacetraindriver

Mk3 Parts  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Did you like the old Mk3 Parts?

• Yes
    • No
    • No Opinion
    • Other

I know it's been a long time since we got the new Mk3 parts. But I recently got the KHI mod and the old mk3s are really good for with the rokomax parts and parts of same size now that we have the offset tool. But it only has 3 parts for its own system... So I'm just wondering what was the community thinks of these parts now and before. Personally, I love them despite the limitations. Idk it's just the looks.

I think there's still a place for the old Mk3 and really wish somebody would bring back the form-factor as an expansion to the Mk2 parts.  You can technically fit a 1.25m payload in the Mk2 cargo bay, but it's very constraining.  The old Mk3 cross section allowed for a much roomer cargo bay for 1.25m parts that actually gave you room to put landing legs and stuff on the outside without poking through the cargo bay.

rJjUH9q.png

hOZO7td.png

Edited by RoboRay

I never liked the old Mk3 parts. Unless you modded them (which I didn't back then), you only had 3 parts to work with, and they were all a pain to make work with anything visually. The Mk2 parts weren't much better, but at least they transitioned back to Mk1 easily enough. Scale-wise, I guess they were okay, but they really pale in comparison to to the newer stuff, which works with rockets as well as planes pretty well nowadays. So yeah, don't miss them at all - there was a reason they got replaced rather than revamped. :)

Though they looked awfully outdated even then, i enjoyed the form factor as it allowed smaller and easier to use shuttles.

I also used the cockpit on a lot of my craft which i can no longer rebuild due to nothing being at all like it. Would love to see an updated set return.

XgOcDrO.png

4 hours ago, Sharpy said:

Ok, I joined KSP after 1.0. Could someone post some more screens of what the old MK3 was like?

Heres some old screens of mine:

Z0kEQgo.png

That kinda of positioning back then was HARD.MXzAjad.png

You needed to use the small structural struts ALL the time in the place of the offset tool back then.

Edited by Spacetraindriver

They definitely had their flaws, and were the least polished of all ksp parts for a while.

But, it forced you to be creative- something the new parts don't really do.

I still like this rover

AoHQJ20.png

JXsJ45b.jpg

tPv27Oj.jpg

Use  some jaunty angles, and you could make something cool with them.

YkDFlsT.png

1QWWYmr.jpg

A stack of satellites to deliver.

Or something which truly captures the slap things together, tweak it till it works, old ksp way of doing things.

NID5bln.jpg

I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with them :) - their models where very old and their textures where very low quality, but because of that they matched the rest of the parts in KSP at the time... lol. When @Porkjet revamped all the plane parts he did a wonderful job with the Mk3 parts and they all look fantastic, but their models and textures are high enough resolution that they don't match the rest of the outdated rocket parts now. I really wish he had the time/patience/instructions to revamp all the parts in KSP, not just the spaceplane parts. I can't say if he wanted to redo them and wasn't allowed to, if he wanted to redo them and didn't have the time to, or if he had the time but didn't have the patience to. Or a mixture of all three :P.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

7 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with them :) - their models where very old and their textures where very low quality, but because of that they matched the rest of the parts in KSP at the time... lol. When @Porkjet revamped all the plane parts he did a wonderful job with the Mk3 parts and they all look fantastic, but their models and textures are high enough resolution that they don't match the rest of the outdated rocket parts now. I really wish he had the time/patience/instructions to revamp all the parts in KSP, not just the spaceplane parts. I can't say if he wanted to redo them and wasn't allowed to, if he wanted to redo them and didn't have the time to, or if he had the time but didn't have the patience to. Or a mixture of all three :P.

He was working on them but left in the middle of it.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that ugly old models and textures be brought back... sheesh!

It's about the form-factor itself, which would nicely fill the gap between the rather undersized (for 1.25m payloads) Mk2 line and the current Mk3 line.

Id prefer if the mark 3 cockpit was atleast usable in IVA..it never quite has been..not like current mark 2 inline etc

Or better yet..

national-railway-museum.jpg

Thats mark 3 size and would be compatable with current parts and have good visibility!

(plus its old)

30 minutes ago, Overland said:

Id prefer if the mark 3 cockpit was atleast usable in IVA..it never quite has been..not like current mark 2 inline etc

Actually, there was a good mod IVA for the old Mk3 cockpit.

lk5ZkMj.png

The narrow windows weren't great, but that was to match the exterior model.  There's no reason a redesign of the cockpit couldn't just use one of the stock Mk2 IVAs.

Edited by RoboRay

I used to use these parts all the time, for rovers, shuttles, spaceplanes and even submarines. I was actually really gutted when they got the chop because I had just started learning how to build a proper STS, but even more especially since (IIRC) there was a transitional period when the old Mk3 had been axed and the new parts hadn't arrived yet. Plus a lot of hard work got swept aside, since none of my crafts could be used anymore. Yeh they were ugly, but all the parts were ugly back then and that was part of KSP's unpolished indy appeal - you felt like you were in on a secret or something. KSP seemed to have a better scale then too - planes and rockets were less interchangeable by type (because CoM moved) but more interchangeable by size (more adapters between radii). When ARM became a thing and the new NASA parts were released, it was a bit gutwrenching for me - I didn't use any of the 'oversize' parts for months after they were in my game. Truth be told, I still rarely use them... too brute-force, not enough refinement for my tastes.

If I had my way, there'd still be a niche for the old Mk3 size, albeit with a drastic visual overhaul (none of the old parts look good in the game anymore) - perhaps a Mk2.5?

28 minutes ago, The_Rocketeer said:

I used to use these parts all the time, for rovers, shuttles, spaceplanes and even submarines. I was actually really gutted when they got the chop because I had just started learning how to build a proper STS, but even more especially since (IIRC) there was a transitional period when the old Mk3 had been axed and the new parts hadn't arrived yet. Plus a lot of hard work got swept aside, since none of my crafts could be used anymore. Yeh they were ugly, but all the parts were ugly back then and that was part of KSP's unpolished indy appeal - you felt like you were in on a secret or something. KSP seemed to have a better scale then too - planes and rockets were less interchangeable by type (because CoM moved) but more interchangeable by size (more adapters between radii). When ARM became a thing and the new NASA parts were released, it was a bit gutwrenching for me - I didn't use any of the 'oversize' parts for months after they were in my game. Truth be told, I still rarely use them... too brute-force, not enough refinement for my tastes.

If I had my way, there'd still be a niche for the old Mk3 size, albeit with a drastic visual overhaul (none of the old parts look good in the game anymore) - perhaps a Mk2.5?

There is a 2.5m Spaceplane Parts mod for 1.0.5...hasn't been updated and isn't in development, but simple part mods aren't that hard to revamp and update, especially if it's just maintenance. 

I never liked the old Mk3 parts. I came in right around the time Spaceplanes Plus was integrated so was pretty spoiled. I don't really use the Mk3 parts now that much. I'll go Mk4 or OPT if I need to haul 2.5m+ parts.

20 hours ago, Spacetraindriver said:

I see you have the Mk3 Cockpit mod, any chance it's still out there?

IDK  if it's still out there. I've still got a copy, and a sorta working version of the old MK3. This has me tempted to see if I can find a way to re-work that old texture.
voxTR7w.png

18 hours ago, Rath said:

He was working on them but left in the middle of it.

Which may turn out to be a mixed blessing - his modeling is very good, but most of the parts I saw just didn't have the same variety, and clear identities that each of the current engines have. I like the variety- the range of appearances in the parts gives us more possibilities when it comes to making imaginative vessels.

TCvOn5c.jpg

• 7 years later...
On 12/14/2016 at 2:32 PM, RoboRay said:

I think there's still a place for the old Mk3 and really wish somebody would bring back the form-factor as an expansion to the Mk2 parts.  You can technically fit a 1.25m payload in the Mk2 cargo bay, but it's very constraining.  The old Mk3 cross section allowed for a much roomer cargo bay for 1.25m parts that actually gave you room to put landing legs and stuff on the outside without poking through the cargo bay.

rJjUH9q.png

hOZO7td.png

What mods did you use??