Kerbal vs Human

Souper

A lot of people seem to think Kerbals are slow, but in fact, they're quite fast.

The average running speed of a human athlete is 3 meters per second. Most people aren't in that kind of physical condition, so we can expect the average running speed for all mankind to be lower. Furthermore, humans are not endurance runners and tend to tire out easily. Meanwhile, Kerbals all run at a speed of 2 meters per second, and they have basically unlimited endurance.

49 minutes ago, Icarus_Vice said:

Furthermore, humans are not endurance runners and tend to tire out easily. Meanwhile, Kerbals all run at a speed of 2 meters per second, and they have basically unlimited endurance.

Must disagree; if humans are one thing it's endurance runners. In fact, with a bit of training, the average 40-something cavalry-hatted human comics author can cover about 42 km at an average speed of approximately 3.3 m/s (sample size of one...that is, if I did the math right...) Then again I wasn't carrying enough gear with me to mass 94 kilos, nor was I wearing a full body pressure suit... so yeah, all props to the kerbals on running. :) 

Edited by Kuzzter
as predicted, bad at math

Using information gathered from the Wiki, Kerbals would seem to be very dense for their size. I think that this can be explained by saying that Kerbals are low in fat, and consist of mainly muscle and bone. 

Obviously, such a large head (making up roughly 1/2 of their total volume) needs strong protection, so I anticipate a very thick skull and very strong neck and shoulder muscles to compensate for the weight. Obviously, Kerbals are disadvantaged when it comes to size and speed when compared to a human, and a presumed lack of coordination means weapon handling, especially firearms and the like, would be not that great. 

I think that most of the time, humans would win in pitched combat... Unless they got too close to a Kerbal, in which case humans would be felled with a shattered shin from headbutting, and then perhaps a knockout headbutt to the human's head.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.