The Kerbal Cross-Continental Rally

24 minutes ago, Triop said:

I just scouted the route with a plane, man, this thing is loooong. :o

It would take me to much time and I probable won't even make it.

I'm out, sorry guys. :mellow:

I feel you. It is really long. VERY long. Actually, now that you mention it, scouting the route is a really good idea...

Fortunately on the long flat stretches you can let KSP run in the background and check in every five minutes to stop and quicksave. Which reminds me... Okay, done. Car still hasn't crashed.

Okay. So I finished stage 3 and stage 4 and I am about half way through stage 5 - which is really difficult. And it's night now.

Some stats: I have to mess with the wheel settings fairly often. I have about 80/400 fuel left and will refuel at the end of stage 5. Maximum speed achieved so far is 91.5m/s.

Also, if I could go back in time and redesign my car I would add more fuel, have less batteries, mount the sas and spoilers higher, and mount the wheels lower.

Edited by Ultimate Steve

3 minutes ago, Oliverm001x said:

I suppose your signature is correct :). But thanks anyway and best of luck!

Good luck to you to, I like the idea of racing in the snow.

I'm going to design a plane that can carry my buggy everywhere around Kerbin.

Maybe a idea for a challenge, since more people already have designed transports. ^_^

Just now, Triop said:

Good luck to you to, I like the idea of racing in the snow.

I'm going to design a plane that can carry my buggy everywhere around Kerbin.

Maybe a idea for a challenge, since more people already have designed transports. ^_^

Sounds good! I will check it out :) 

3 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Fortunately on the long flat stretches you can let KSP run in the background and check in every five minutes to stop and quicksave.

Now where is the fun in that ? :o

That's not what rally is about ! <_<

Okay. I've finished (finally).

5BuC1C6.png

Starting stage 3. MET 38:45.

Driving pic:

1bGVNas.png

wuFupf0.png

yhCd4GP.png

MET: 53:41. Stage 3 time: 14:54. Total time: 51:22 (I think I did my math right).

Starting stage 4: MET: 55:56.

5JblIsg.png

End:

evPT2TH.png

MET: 1:13:43. Stage 4 time: 17:47. Total time: 1:09:09. Again, check my math.

I started stage 5 only a few seconds after I ended stage 4 and I forgot to take a screenshot so I'll use stage 4's end time for stage 5's start time.

j72VTZY.png

End time: 1:41:48. Stage 5 time: 28:05. Total time: 1:37:14. At this point I sent a refueling plane.

1Jl0jkc.png

zlq8JdY.png

Refueling.

sONmZka.png

However, using the Klaw had the unfortunate side effect of resetting the MET clock. So the start time for stage 6 is shown as 0:23, but really it is still an hour into the mission.

VH0MEZC.png

Henry Kerman climbing up the mountains. Hooray for jet engine alternators! Without them I would have run out of battery.

sz8twDf.png

End of stage 6. MET: 30:52. Stage 6 time: 30:29. Total time: 2:07:43. Again I forgot a starting screenshot, bear with me. The MET for the end of 6 will be used for the start of 7.

lpippxE.png

Climbing a mountain.

fguuBNA.png

End of stage 7 - only 10km to go! MET: 53:32. Stage 7 time: 22:40. Total time: 2:30:23.

Starting Stage 8, MET 53:39.

UP3hjnQ.png

And then I overshot and careened over a cliff and exploded.

QTbSYlE.png

26 meters from the flag. Luckily, I could limp back to the flag as the car was not fatally damaged.

FhgOQoP.png

OiZvDWe.png

And I finish at MET 58:09. Time for stage 8: 4:30. Total time to complete the course: 2:34:53. Again, you might want to check my math on this, but that is my entry!

Ideas for future courses: One that goes along a river. One to the tallest mountain on Kerbin. At least one on another planet.

But I would like you to try making them a bit shorter.

:D

6 hours ago, BlackHoleSun said:

This rally sounds like a real few days of driving I'm in.

Not sure if I'll drive the Traxus race truck or Rail Buggy. Its so long maybe best to have 2 drivers.

HDS%20TRT_zpsh8ocuxdh.png

Rally%20Rails_zpsktiimexf.png

Looking forward to your entry! :) 

Darn flags are to small over shot it, so 2nd run will be coming for stage 1, Rally buggy was fast lol to fast so I backed down to the Traxus truck from Dakar rally.

It has better center of mass and not roll over issues. But I'll retuning the Rally buggy so we will see.

Traxus time was 00:10:06 even after I did uturn to flag. Ill add me some land marks on next run.

Traxus Truck is a electric / LFO hybird.

KSP_x64%202017-01-05%2023-25-43-29_zpssm

KSP_x64%202017-01-05%2023-57-24-30_zps4b

Edited by BlackHoleSun

2nd try with check points added for me to see better.

A bit of info about the BHS Traxus race truck

Electic/LF-0 Hybird

Added 6 Rhesus  vernier engines to top of motor and 2 at back for added proformance look and Special effects screens but not used in race, they have no real power.

Added 6 OMS Blisters for more control at speed and while jumping, they also provide extra boost.

I carry on board 1 spare tire, 2 CA storage boxes, a CC-R2 connector port for fueling and CA MMU Engineer rack so I would have tools on board. Mechjeb onboard for distance custom info box. May i add that there is a last screen that shows total run info for proof of no cheating or spawning and letting the timer run down for screens.

Stage1 time 9 mins 08 sec.

TRAXUS%20CROSS%20RALLY_zpsc9wmdgo9.png

TRAXUS%20CROSS%20RALLY2_zps3jkxdilu.png

Video of stage 1

Ill take a run in this, leaving this post as a placeholder

Ill take the KSC crew tram.. Shes never seen outside of KSC working

Top speed of 12 ms though

No reason why her battery banks and RTGs wont handle having all 12 wheels driven..once at cruise itll taper off

Put me in the hybrid category though might bring a diesel generator for steep climbing

Ill give her a bit of a paint for the occasion :) start friday

Edited by Overland

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.