[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

Oh. I mean self sustainable at least even if it requires mining. I know that mks is very in depth but I am confused as what makes it so much more complicated than USI ls. In USI you have to manage a lot of resources but in MKS there are a lot more. What are these all for? Are they all for converting into basic supplies? Also do you know if I can use snacks and completely ignore the functionality of these parts. Will the emergency hab modules fill with snacks if I were to deploy them?

Just now, TachyonGMZ said:

Oh. I mean self sustainable at least even if it requires mining. I know that mks is very in depth but I am confused as what makes it so much more complicated than USI ls. In USI you have to manage a lot of resources but in MKS there are a lot more. What are these all for? Are they all for converting into basic supplies? Also do you know if I can use snacks and completely ignore the functionality of these parts. Will the emergency hab modules fill with snacks if I were to deploy them?

Don’t know anything about Snacks. I suggest you don’t use two life support mods at the same time though, USI-LS has all the functionality you need. MKS doesn’t change any of USI-LS mechanics, it just provides a way to produce fertilizer from gypsum  in situ and adds some parts with habitation value. Emergency hab module is only useful for its habitation value, and won’t fill with any resources upon deployment.

so what is the point of all these parts then if they have supplies from simple USI functionality? does hab value matter a lot? Do all the resources from MKS all culminate on turning gypsum into fertiliser because that makes it sound simple but I know that it is all very complicated.

12 minutes ago, TachyonGMZ said:

so what is the point of all these parts then if they have supplies from simple USI functionality? does hab value matter a lot? Do all the resources from MKS all culminate on turning gypsum into fertiliser because that makes it sound simple but I know that it is all very complicated.

Some MKS parts can produce supplies from either fertilizer and mulch (like nom-o-mastics from USI-LS) or from locally available resources such as substrate, dirt and water. Hab value matters for USI-LS if you have habitation mechanic turned on in options. The more hab time you have, the longer your kerbals can stay away from Kerbin and remain sane. Substrate, Minerals and Metallic Ore are used to make Material Kits, which, in turn, are used to build rockets with GC or EL, or print parts with OSE Workshop. In order to work, most of MKS converters need machinery, which has a production chain of its own. It sounds complicated, but it really isn’t. Drill for gypsum, convert it to fertilizer and use it to replenish supplies, and you have yourself a self-sustaining base already.

You can also check KSPedia MKS entry, it’s quite thorough.

Edited by sh1pman

So if I dont have ose or el (what is GC?) It dont need to care about the other stuff? the only options I have are to not need machinery. How would I go about turning off habitation requirements.

GC is Ground Construction mod, it’s  bundled with MKS. Allows you to build vessels from DIY Kits using Material Kits. You still need to deliver the kit to the surface first. Very very useful for MKS.

I think you can turn off the habitation mechanic in USI-LS options, click on green cube icon while in KSC view.

So if I use GC I wont need EL? If I dont want to use that and only care about life support then is the mod a lot simpler than advertised?

With GC you probably won’t need EL, but EL can build in orbit and doesn’t need a DIY kit to build something.

If you only care about life support, and have turned off machinery and hab mechanics, then MKS is indeed much simpler than advertised. You’ll have a lot of parts with no functionality though.

Hi all. I just started playing Kerbal again after a few months away and decided i wanted a bit more of a challenge, and been trying to learn to use this mod. Still got quiet a bit to work out, but finally managed to find out what i was doing wrong and got the local and planet warehouses working perfectly. However one thing that i dont understand and not sure if its a bug ornot. So before i start deleting mods to see if anything else effecting it, thought i would ask here first.

Scenatio. 4 drills mining minmus or kerbin. All set to store to warehouse. Works fine. However if i open the resource window (icon with the planet and flag) nothing shows up. fast forard few days and still nothing shows. But if i then switch tk say the ore drill, Then open the window, up pops ore (doesnt refresh tho) same for the other drills. Unless i actual go in command of the drill the window does not update of refresh the resource amount on the screen.

Running latest versions of all MKS (checked the Ckan version with the usi website to make sure). Any one else had this issue? If its a bug then ill have to take time to start removing other mods to see if its one of them doing it and post results but thought id ask first if its already known issue.

Thanks for your time.

I think I might be having a weird bug. I have the tech required to unlock the Tundra, and I've purchased it in the VAB so I can use it, but even after purchasing it's still greyed out and I cant select it. What's more, this doesn't seem to be happening to all the parts in MKS, but only some, while the others work fine. In fact, I think it might only be the 3.75 tundra parts that are acting this way. Is there a feature going on here that I don't know about? I'll try to play around in the mean time to see if I can get it fixed.

https://imgur.com/a/paNCi

Edit: Couldn't figure it out so in the meantime I'm just going to turn off purchase after research. Also, it seems like it wasn't just MKS that this bug was affecting. Still, if you know anything about this I'd appreciate the help.

Edited by HippieGold

3 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Planetary warehouse only fills up when you have focus.  This is used mostly for pre-deployment not ongoing consumption.

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

Just to clarify, what do you mean by "when you have focus". All My warehouses working fine in both local and planetry, and ore etc being pulled out of warehouses to make stuff without problem. It was just that j thought that the planetry logistics window you can open, gave you a real time status of your stored stuff. If not then ive misunderstood the planetry logistics window. 

7 hours ago, Bionic bulldog said:

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

Just to clarify, what do you mean by "when you have focus". All My warehouses working fine in both local and planetry, and ore etc being pulled out of warehouses to make stuff without problem. It was just that j thought that the planetry logistics window you can open, gave you a real time status of your stored stuff. If not then ive misunderstood the planetry logistics window. 

KSP doesn't compute what happens for converters on ships more than ~2km from your current location, for efficiency reasons.  Planetary Logistics doesn't change that.  If you switch to a ship, it'll quickly act like it's been producing all along, but it's just doing it as a quick catch-up.  Without a mod like Kerbalism (which is incompatible with MKS) nothing's going to change that.  The Planetary Logistics window will show what's *currently* in storage - and will be updated next time you visit any of the ships putting stuff in or taking stuff out of it.  It will not get updated unless you do that.

This is not a bug.  This is everything working as intended.

5 hours ago, DStaal said:

KSP doesn't compute what happens for converters on ships more than ~2km from your current location, for efficiency reasons.  Planetary Logistics doesn't change that.  If you switch to a ship, it'll quickly act like it's been producing all along, but it's just doing it as a quick catch-up.  Without a mod like Kerbalism (which is incompatible with MKS) nothing's going to change that.  The Planetary Logistics window will show what's *currently* in storage - and will be updated next time you visit any of the ships putting stuff in or taking stuff out of it.  It will not get updated unless you do that.

This is not a bug.  This is everything working as intended.

Thanks for that.  Nice clear explaination that my old brain has understood. ☺.  

1 minute ago, TachyonGMZ said:

I thought that hab and home was added by mks.

I believe Habitation comes from USI-LS independent of MKS.

Still, this thread is kinda the kitchen sink for all things USI since some mods do not have threads and we're still waiting for Rover to make a general USI one.

On 23.12.2017 at 10:17 AM, Bionic bulldog said:

/snip

As a basic question. Have you a logistics module on your installation? To push the ressources in PL you need one. That one don't need to be manned but must be present on the side. As i read your text you have drills and containers (?) but no logistics module?

Yep. Have all that. That part working fine. Dstaal nailed my issue in his reply. Turns out its not an issue, but way mod is supposed to work. Thanks taking the time to reply though.

On 25/12/2017 at 5:18 PM, Urses said:

As a basic question. Have you a logistics module on your installation? To push the ressources in PL you need one. That one don't need to be manned but must be present on the side. As i read your text you have drills and containers (?) but no logistics module?